Windows 10: Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive

Discus and support Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I'm looking to replace my dying HDD drive in my Toshiba Satellite C660-22V laptop with a new crucial SSD drive but would like to get advice on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HoolaHope, Jul 6, 2020.

1. HoolaHope Win User

Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive

Hi

I'm looking to replace my dying HDD drive in my Toshiba Satellite C660-22V laptop with a new crucial SSD drive but would like to get advice on whether I will be able to activate windows 10 once installed on the new drive?

The device itself was originally supplied with Windows 7 but was upgraded to Windows 10 Home during the free upgrade window. The device is linked to my Microsoft Account but there is no status under the Activation field in Activation settings. It simply says "learn more".

The question is, will Windows activate automatically when I sign into my Microsoft Account on installation on the new drive based on the motherboard remaining the same and the device being already linked to my account?

If there is further advice then I would really appreciate it. Unfortunately, Microsoft's article on the subject does not appear to cover my specific scenario: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

:)

HoolaHope, Jul 6, 2020

2. Migrating Digitally Licensed Windows 10 to SSD

I am very confused on how to migrate my current OS to my SSD by using the new ISO by Windows. I have installed the ISO onto a flash drive. I have booted the flash drive and it says that I have to go back and start Windows normally and restart the upgrade
    process. What does this mean? Could anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to migrate my OS? Also, my Windows 10 is digitally licensed.

AlexDT3956, Jul 6, 2020
  3. FKP_VW Win User
    Replacing my HDD with SSD?

You can consider cloning your drive. Do make sure the SSD you buy can hold everything you have in your HDD or you can delete some large files before cloning. You might want to try this this article for a step by step guide -

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-migrate-to-a-soli...

FKP_VW, Jul 6, 2020
  4. gordon99 Win User

Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an external hard drive I use for backups and a free version of the Macrium Reflect program on the hard drive. The SSD is brand new. I have just 50 GB in total on the 231 GB hard drive. The SSD has 250 GB capacity.

gordon99, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive - Similar Threads - Migrating Replacement SSD

2. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  3. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating to SSD: Hi, I have an old notebook in which I want to add an m.2 SSD256gb and run a dual memoryHDD with 1TB. I searched online and I learnt that It should work. The problem is that I one to install only W10 and some programs on the SSD, while I want to keep the other things on the...
  4. replacement SSD drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    replacement SSD drive for laptop: My laptop cannot see my SSD drive so I assume it has failed, I am having trouble finding a replacement.The SSD drive installed in my laptop is an SK Hynix, I am attaching a photo of it.The is the only similar drive I have found and do not know if if it is...
  5. migrating windows to ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating windows to ssd: Hello! My system fulfills all the requirements for Windows 11 upgrade, but I am planning to migrate my windows 10 to a newly installed SSD, will it affect the windows upgrade?...
  6. Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.: I need to retire my very old hdd. I am hoping that I can transfer my existing installation from drive to drive without a lot of trouble. Is this possible?...
  7. Migrating to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating to SSD: So, my computer came with a hard disk and I've recently bought an SSD. I downloaded Windows 10 onto a flash drive so I can use it as a boot drive, so what do I do to get my SSD set up properly and migrate the data from my hard drive over? I ask because of the prompts with...
  8. Migrated Windows to an SSD drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrated Windows to an SSD drive: After a lot of hassle as per usual with any Microsoft product, I eventually managed to reinstall Windows 10 using the same Windows serial I got off the old disk. I couldn't clone the old disk as I got the blue screen each time. Anyway, it now says I have an unauthorized...
  9. replace hard drive with SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace hard drive with SSD: I have a laptop with a 1 TB hard drive. I am only using about 300 GB. Can I replace my 1 TB hard drive with a 500 GB SSD? 95323
  10. Migration to an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migration to an SSD: I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted...