Windows 10: Migration to an SSD

Discus and support Migration to an SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kensiko, Dec 7, 2015.

1. kensiko Win User

Migration to an SSD

I moved the Windows 10 installation of my mother's PC from a hard drive to a SSD using DriveImageXML drive2drive feature with Windows running. I copied the boot system partition and the Windows partition (C*Smile then booted with the new system partition. But even if I booted on the system partition on the SSD, it started Windows 10 on the hard drive. I used BCDEdit to change Device and osDevice to the SSD partition and rebooted, it switched to the SSD.

Everything was working fine, EXCEPT the start menu !!! It won't open ! I see there are many possible causes for this start menu issue. I tried multiple solutions (SOLVED: Fix Windows 10 Start Button Does Nothing in 10 Minutes - Up & Running Technologies Calgary and SOLVED: Windows 10 Start Menu and Modern Apps Do Not Function - Up & Running Technologies Calgary), none worked.

I decided to create a new user and everything is fine. This is pretty annoying because I'm afraid to move Windows 10 to another hard drive now. Never had any issue with previous Windows.

Anybody else tried to move Windows 10 to another hard drive ?

:)

kensiko, Dec 7, 2015

2. migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...?

Migrate. Macrium Reflect seems to work very well with SSD's. If you purchase an SSD with a migration kit, make sure you do not use the bundled utility if it is Acronis. I have read on the Crucial site that the Acronis utility is not working correctly
    with SSDs yet. The migrated image will remain activated.

Cbarnhorst, Dec 7, 2015
  3. migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...?

I had win 81 pro and upgraded to 10 pro... hdd...

Now plan to migrate to ssd... what is best...?

migrate(easiest) or reinstall win 10 pro on ssd...(hardest) ?

Lse123polis, Dec 7, 2015
  4. pbcopter Win User

Migration to an SSD

Yes, many times but I use Acronis true Image and have never had an issue.

pbcopter, Dec 7, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Migration to an SSD

1. Migration to an SSD - Similar Threads - Migration SSD

2. Does SSD migration impact reagentc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does SSD migration impact reagentc?: Hello, My issue I have managed to resolve already but wanted some more information on where I may have gone wrong for future reference. I recently purchased a used gaming laptop which I then installed my previously purchased windows 11 pro on to. Soon there after I migrated...
  3. Does SSD migration impact reagentc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does SSD migration impact reagentc?: Hello, My issue I have managed to resolve already but wanted some more information on where I may have gone wrong for future reference. I recently purchased a used gaming laptop which I then installed my previously purchased windows 11 pro on to. Soon there after I migrated...
  4. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  5. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  6. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  7. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  8. Screwed up literally SSD migration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screwed up literally SSD migration: I created a image of a Windows 10 Pro laptop drive ready to migrate it to an SSD. I removed the source hard disk and inserted the SSD and tried to restore the image to it. The image, created by Windows, turned out not to be usable, so I decided I would would have to burn it...
  9. Screwed up literally SSD migration

Screwed up literally SSD migration: I created a image of a Windows 10 Pro laptop drive ready to migrate it to an SSD. I removed the source hard disk and inserted the SSD and tried to restore the image to it. The image, created by Windows, turned out not to be usable, so I decided I would would have to burn it...
  10. Screwed up literally SSD migration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade