Windows 10: Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today

Discus and support Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; [img] A couple of clean installs today on customers machines. Start menu is lacking on the two I have done. No games. Tried different media,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by colsearle, Feb 13, 2020.

1. colsearle Win User

Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today

Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today [​IMG]

A couple of clean installs today on customers machines. Start menu is lacking on the two I have done. No games. Tried different media, Different internet connection's. Any ideas what's going on ??

:)

colsearle, Feb 13, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Minimal Start Menu On Clean Installs Today - Similar Threads - Minimal Start Menu

2. Does this qualify as a "minimal" start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does this qualify as a "minimal" start menu?: [ATTACH] with that sexy 768p resolution. *chef's kiss* submitted by /u/yeehawbrotha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j3nne4/does_this_qualify_as_a_minimal_start_menu/
  3. Anyone else having problems with the start menu not working on clean installs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone else having problems with the start menu not working on clean installs?: I'm seeing that on a mix of desktops both with Intel and AMD CPUs. Clicking on start does nothing. I'm having to give people command line alternatives to load Office and to sleep like "rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0". Of course they're getting frustrated. I...
  4. clean up start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    clean up start menu: My start menu is filled with links to applications I never use, like Map, Camera, Mixed Reality Portal, etc. I've looked in the file structure %appdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu but I can't find any actual shortcuts for these apps. Are there a way to clean up the start...
  5. Start Menu, minimized programs in the Taskbar are bigger

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu, minimized programs in the Taskbar are bigger: Hi guys, I recently re-installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I already ran into troubles. I fixed most of them with DISM & SFC scans, but for some weird reason my Start Menu, minimized programs in the Taskbar are bigger, and the Folders inside Windows Explorer look somehow a...
  6. Minimizing windows opens the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Minimizing windows opens the start menu: Whenever I minimize a program window (Chrome, word, Outlook, File explorer, etc.) Instead of just hiding the window, my computer opens the start menu tiles. I also cannot access the desktop via button in the lower right corner of the taskbar....
  7. Cleaning up the Start Menu "All Apps" sub-menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cleaning up the Start Menu "All Apps" sub-menu: Hey guys. I have been trying to find a way to clean up the apps in the Start Menu, under All Apps. I tried finding the Directory there are in but I can't find anything. I don't want to uninstall them, I just want to put them in a folder in the Start Menu. Any help?...
  8. Unable to minimize to desktop; sends me to start menu instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to minimize to desktop; sends me to start menu instead: My apologies if this isn't the right category; I wasn't really sure where to put this. Not very good with these things, honestly. Anyway, for one thing my start menu is stuck on full-screen, despite the fact that I never set this to happen and the settings say it isn't on....
  9. 7 Start Menu - Clean, Simple Customized

in Windows 10 Support
    7 Start Menu - Clean, Simple Customized: Still prefer this to seeing tile on my desktop screen. [img] 2008
  10. Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - Clean Install. Start menu anomaly: Hi all, Wondering if anyone else has experienced an icon display issue on their start menu with the 1607 update? I have just clean installed (and fully updated) the 1607 Anniversary Update on 2 PC's and both are experiencing an identical issue with their start menu. The...