Windows 10: Minimise data loss during SDD repartitioning

Discus and support Minimise data loss during SDD repartitioning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I've got W10 Home and a 256GB SSD in a Lenovo Yoga2Pro laptop. When I first got the machine, I repartitioned the SDD into C: 90GB (OS) and D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BobSter2, Jun 16, 2018.

1. BobSter2 Win User

Minimise data loss during SDD repartitioning

Hi

I've got W10 Home and a 256GB SSD in a Lenovo Yoga2Pro laptop.

When I first got the machine, I repartitioned the SDD into C: 90GB (OS) and D: 132GB (Userdata) (plus a few necessary OEM/Recovery partitions (more) ).

Minimise data loss during SDD repartitioning [​IMG]

The C: partition is becoming too small for the ever-expanding Windows 10, so I intend to repartion the disk, 'stealing', say, 20GB of D: to give to C:

Obviously, I'll need to delete some data offa D first and I will back-up the rest, but is there anything I can do to shuffle my user data over to the right, so it doesn't get nuked when I do the repartitioning?

Windows "Optimize Drives" is set to run automatically weekly and I can manually force a "Optimize", but cannot do an "Analyze" (the button is greyed-out), so I can't see where the data is sitting.

I hear that Windows does a Defragment once a month, but I can't force it.

thanks

p.s.

I Have read this and this.

I will probably use these 2 or maybe 'Easeus partition_recovery' or 'AOMEI Partition Assistant_Std' to do the repartitioning.

thanks

:)

BobSter2, Jun 16, 2018

2. SDD and a HDD windows 10

I have Windows 10 installed on a 525gb SDD. I have a 1tb HDD that I'm using for my data. I've been reading a lot of conflicting tweaks to use on the SDD. Help!

1. Should I eliminate the swap on the SDD? I do a have a windows managed swap file on the HDD.

2. Should I turn off indexing on the SDD?

3. Should I turn off system restore on the SDD?

Most of the articles I've been reading have been a couple of years old. I know that the current SDDs are better but do these same tweaks apply now?

Any info and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

saturn7110x, Jun 16, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Jun 16, 2018
  4. Jonas Flo Win User

how to convert Dynamic disk to Basic disk without data loss ?

Hi,

The process of conversion is quite tricky but not exactly that complicated. Suggested safe is to have your data cloned and work on the clone instead of the original. This suggestions and steps were provided by one of the Microsoft Community Forum MVP's,
    John John__ in his response on this thread. Follow the steps carefully
    to be able to avoid data loss.

I hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Minimise data loss during SDD repartitioning - Similar Threads - Minimise data loss

2. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  3. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  4. data loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    data loss: I deleted one of the user accounts on my pc and all the data is also deleted. how can i find my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/2db3f703-7bc9-4ab2-a55a-be585a53e095
  5. data loss

data loss: I deleted one of the user accounts on my pc and all the data is also deleted. how can i find my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/2db3f703-7bc9-4ab2-a55a-be585a53e095
  6. Loss of storage SDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of storage SDD: I'm having a problem with my laptop. Whenever I play games during my games whenever I lose storage. I checked and its not my windows system protection. Can someone help me? I can only lose some more storage where I have none and my computer breaks down. I would like to know...
  7. Loss of Data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loss of Data: I have been using a Windows 10 laptop. Everytime i turn my laptop On, i am losing all the data in all drives other than OSC. Also, it takes a lot of time to load displaying "Preparing Windows" text while loading. Please help me with the problem....
  8. Data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Data loss: My pc keeps losing it data and i dont know why do you think i need a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/30dd6610-a132-4f58-981e-760aa20451ef
  9. Data loss

Data loss: I really need help my pc keeps loosing all of its data and i have to reinstall windows again and again and i don’t know the problem this is the 5th time its happened it only happens when i restart my pc its not every time only some times...
  10. DATA LOSS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DATA LOSS: Recently upgraded to windows 10 (1903) resulting in data loss. Very disappointed. Please Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-loss/3e3ffb85-4b7f-4b4f-99aa-0a524f59d751