Windows 10: Minimizing App Window Causes it to Disappear

Discus and support Minimizing App Window Causes it to Disappear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Kind of strange problem. I'm on a dual monitor system 4K & HD monitors with latest win10 Pro x64. I have an app I want to run on my HD monitor, but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jaftwo, Jul 23, 2018.

1. jaftwo Win User

Minimizing App Window Causes it to Disappear

Kind of strange problem. I'm on a dual monitor system 4K & HD monitors with latest win10 Pro x64. I have an app I want to run on my HD monitor, but it launches to my 4K monitor maximized. Normally, all I have to do is minimize it and move it to the other monitor and size or maximize it there. However, with this app, if I click on minimize, it disappears and is not visible on either monitor, but is shown as active in the task bar and task manager.

It looks like it minimizes to the upper left corner of the 4K monitor (when I click the icon in the task bar I see the app frame maximize into that corner or minimize to the task bar icon (alternating with max/min).

Not sure where to go from here.

:)

jaftwo, Jul 23, 2018

2. The 'Photos' app for photo viewing has disappeared.

I do not understand this, when I returned to the PC later today my original settings had returned to the start screen, including one other tile which I had also lost but had not yet re-instated. Also the original list of 'All apps' had returned to the start
    screen, including 'Photos'. There is nothing that I am aware of having done that should have caused the original disappearance of some apps from the 'All apps' list and their associated tiles, or that could have caused them to return.

It has therefore been unnecessary to follow your suggested steps, though I have done so anyway and it works as suggested. Note that I had followed your steps 1 & 2 earlier which is why I knew 'Photos' had not disappeared from the PC but was simply not
    visible on the 'All apps' list and hence my inability to re-pin the tile.

Thank you for your reply and understanding my frustration.

Frustrated - Belfast, Jul 23, 2018
  3. ariefcfa Win User
    Bitlocker Causes Taskbar Pinned Apps Disappeared

Alright, the problem is the Desktop directory. Rather than force end explorer process which cause another issue, today i found it is better to moved Desktop directory back to C:\Users\username\Desktop and create a symbolic link to keep the desktop files
    secured with Bitlocker.

The steps are:

• Moved back Desktop directory to original location C:\Users\username\Desktop
    • Moved Desktop files to safe location (in this case to D:\username\Desktop)
    • Delete Desktop directory in step-1
    • Create Dekstop directory symbolic link using elevated command prompt:

code:

mklink /D C:\Users\username\Desktop D:\username\Desktop

This way the Taskbar Pinned apps - in my case - not disappeared unlike before.

Thanks

ariefcfa, Jul 23, 2018
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Jul 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Minimizing App Window Causes it to Disappear - Similar Threads - Minimizing App Window

2. Websites disappearing when minimized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Websites disappearing when minimized: New computer with Windows 10 Home. If I minimize a webpage, it closes and doesn't show up on the taskbar. What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/websites-disappearing-when-minimized/9d4d5a6e-98dc-4810-bc27-047c801c3a25
  3. Minimizing App Window Causes it to DIssappear

in Windows 10 Support
    Minimizing App Window Causes it to DIssappear: Kind of strange problem. I'm on a dual monitor system 4K & HD monitors with latest win10 Pro x64. I have an app I want to run on my HD monitor, but it launches to my 4K monitor maximized. Normally, all I have to do is minimize it and move it to the other monitor and size or...
  4. Minimize Edge, and it disappears?

in Browsers and Email
    Minimize Edge, and it disappears?: Hey guys/gals, I'm on Windows 10 Pro Build 14316.rs1_release, 160402-2217. Every time I minimize the Edge Browser, it minimizes fine, but then I go to click on the edge logo on my taskbar, and it pulls up a new window, I can't get back to the window I had open before. I've...
  5. Disappearing Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing Apps: My Windows 10 apps have disappeared and I cannot even open the start menu, I need help getting them back, any suggestions? 20759
  6. apps disappearing

apps disappearing: I have recently updated windows 10 and find that some apps have stopped working, for instance Facebook and ITV Player/Hub. I am annoyed with this, especially with Facebook, as I am unable to log in with my original account, as it rejects every password I have tried. Could...
  7. App store and apps disappeared

App store and apps disappeared: Suddenly I have got the entries below,which do not respond to clicking. e.g News app is visible as tile and updating but cannot get full screen. On programs list I have: @ MicrosoftBingNews 4.8.239.0X86 _8weekb3d8bbwe?ms-resources/microsoft Bing...
  8. Apps minimize on Launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps minimize on Launch: This has been a bug for a while and build 9926 has it as well for me in a VM. Even feedback app does it. You launch the app and it minmizes within a few seconds. Anyone else? Tim 3904
  9. Taskbar on second display disappears when I minimize all windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar on second display disappears when I minimize all windows: I recently starting having an issue where the taskbar on my secondary display disappears when I click the right corner of the taskbar on the primary display. This doesn't happen with Peek Preview; only when I click to minimize all windows. I'm not seeing a setting which would...
  10. Windows 10 - apps minimizing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - apps minimizing: Friday morning I upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to MS Windows 10. Everything went great, so I thought. I open Edge, it minimizes, I open Netflix, it minimizes. Nothing except the home screen will stay up for any length of time. 27751