Windows 10: Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

Discus and support Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches in Cortana to solve the problem; There's a strange and very annoying bug in Windows 10 that's been around for the past year now or longer. Every time I minimize an explorer window that... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Davwyn, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Davwyn Win User

Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

There's a strange and very annoying bug in Windows 10 that's been around for the past year now or longer. Every time I minimize an explorer window that has at any point in it's history ever done a search, it returns to that search no matter what.Steps to produce:1. Open an Explorer window, navigate to any folder, it's pick "Documents"2. Do a file search, doesn't matter what, let's say "dog"3. Navigate out of the search and go anywhere else. Let's pick C:\Users4. Minimize the explorer window to the taskbar5. For some reason the Window 'magically' is back to Documents with the same search result

:)

Davwyn, Mar 2, 2022

2. Minimizing file explorer sends it back to search mode

With latest Windows 10 update (currently I'm having 2004), if you search in File Explorer and do "open folder/file location", and then minimize the explorer window, it will automatically roll back to original search status.

Steps to reproduce this bug:

1. Open File Explorer

2. Pick a drive/folder, say "D:\data"

3. On search box of File Explorer, type a search string, for instance "rose"

4. A list of folders/files that have the string "rose" will be listed, and now right click on a folder/file, and select "open folder/file location"

5. As expected, the search status (colored as blue in task bar) is gone, and the window becomes like a regular file explorer window (colored as yellow in task bar).

6. You can further click on side bar and choose a different folder to display

7. NOW the PROBLEM, if you minimize this window (or click on bottom right corner to minimize all open windows), you will see from task bar that it goes back to search mode, and display "rose". If you open it again, you will see it shows
    search result for "rose" in current folder.

So, by picking "open file location", you already end the search and want to use file explorer in its usual way, but minimizing the window brings it back to search mode. I use search A LOT, and have seen this issue only recently. This is definitely a bug!

Henry Shen, Mar 2, 2022
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Explorer Search Box Return to All Files

Maybe I am also misunderstanding, but after the search results, left arrow returns to full file listing.

Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Mar 2, 2022
  4. Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 2, 2022
Thema:

Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

1. Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches - Similar Threads - Minimizing Explorer returns

2. File Explorer title bar returned to old one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer title bar returned to old one: I just updated my PC to the new 2022 Windows 11 update and now, for some reason, my File Explorer's title bar is no longer nice and transparent, like the settings window for example, but instead has returned to the accent colored, fully opaque title bar like in Windows 10....
  3. Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches: There's a strange and very annoying bug in Windows 10 that's been around for the past year now or longer. Every time I minimize an explorer window that has at any point in it's history ever done a search, it returns to that search no matter what.Steps to produce:1. Open an...
  4. Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minimizing Explorer windows returns them to old searches: There's a strange and very annoying bug in Windows 10 that's been around for the past year now or longer. Every time I minimize an explorer window that has at any point in it's history ever done a search, it returns to that search no matter what.Steps to produce:1. Open an...
  5. How to Minimize All Windows and Keep Them Minimized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Minimize All Windows and Keep Them Minimized: So, I'm a fan of the minimize all button on the bottom-right, probably one of the only explorer features from Windows 7 8? that I actually like lol, but here's what annoys me about it. If you minimize all and then open a window, it will always bring up all the windows that...
  6. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  7. Explorer Search Box Return to All Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Search Box Return to All Files: I have recently noticed a change in behaviour (Or I might have even changed some settings) with the search box on the top right corner of the explorer window. I used to search for a file name and it would return the search and when I clicked on the X it would return all files...
  8. Minimizing file explorer sends it back to search mode

Minimizing file explorer sends it back to search mode: With latest Windows 10 update currently I'm having 2004, if you search in File Explorer and do "open folder/file location", and then minimize the explorer window, it will automatically roll back to original search status. Steps to reproduce this bug: 1. Open File Explorer...
  9. Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching For A Minimal Windows Explorer Alternative: Do you guys know a minimal windows explorer alternative? It doesn't need to be full of features, or anything, just a really clean looking file explorer with the least amount of buttons for it to still be usable. Thank you in advance! submitted by /u/csumpasd [link]...
  10. File Explorer search returning too much

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer search returning too much: I have figured out that when File Explorer searches, it includes the filepath as well as file name and contents. I see this as a problem, since I rarely, if ever, search based on the filepath. Please tell me there's a way to turn this off. I also see an option for whether...