Windows 10: minimum password length more than 15?

Discus and support minimum password length more than 15? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, recently I try to setup my company's 10 security policy, one of the key setting is minimum password length in "Local Security Policy"... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by borgliu, Mar 9, 2019.

1. borgliu Win User

minimum password length more than 15?

Hi there,

recently I try to setup my company's 10 security policy, one of the key setting is minimum password length

in "Local Security Policy" ==> Account Policies ==> Password Policies, there is an parameter "Minimum password Length"

in the explain section, it says the range is 1 to 20,

but when I try to set the parameter as 15, it has error ,I even try in command line, same error and messages says it is not support this value (15), I try several numbers, seems not support more than 14 (both in GUI and command lines)

is this bug? or anything I did wrong ?

minimum password length  more than 15? 4a59e3a5-b459-45aa-ae7e-2b290130a00e?upload=true.jpg

minimum password length  more than 15? abd1d08e-a20b-4995-8333-93fe36e4abd2?upload=true.jpg

minimum password length  more than 15? ff809327-a367-4ad7-af59-ab7dc8d040b3?upload=true.jpg

:)

borgliu, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Maryy47 Win User

Check the minimum password length password complexity and password history requirements

Hi all,

When I create a new user account or when I try to change a password, I have now this message :

Check the minimum password length password complexity and password history requirements

So, I have to create passwords with 14 characters at least, I don't know why.

I didn't change anything on my AD server. And "Password must meet complexity requirements" is disabled. I tried to enable it and set "minimum password length" to 2 characters. But it doesn't change anything, I still have to create passwords with 14 chararters
    at least.

Do you know what could be the cause of this issue ? We have a windows 2012 server.

Thanks !

Maryy47, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Using NET ACCOUNTS to set minimum password length

I'm trying to use the command line to set some account restrictions. In particular, we want to set a minimum password length to 16.

If you check this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490698.aspx it clearly shows the acceptable value for the /minpwlen switch is 0 through 127. However, anytime I run the command with a value above 15, I get this error:

You entered an invalid value for the /MINPWLEN option.

Any value of 14 or lower works just fine. I've tried this on Win 7, 8 & 10, all with the same result. FWIW, all computers tested were non-domain computers. Also, all testing was done using an administrative cmd prompt.

Robert Siegmund, Mar 9, 2019
  4. lx07 Win User

Specify Maximum and Minimum PIN Length in Windows 10

If you change the minimum or maximum PIN length you need to remove and re-add the PIN. Otherwise the rules before the change still apply.

minimum password length  more than 15? [​IMG]

For example, if I have a 4 long PIN and change minimum length from 4 to 6 I can still change to another 4 long PIN. Only if the PIN is deleted and a new one added does the 6 minimum take effect.

I don't know if this is intended or not but is confusing.

Also on 17134 it is required to check the "Include letters and symbols" box to see the PIN requirements. This looks like a definite bug to me but may be useful to know.

lx07, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. minimum password length more than 15? - Similar Threads - minimum password length

2. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  3. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  4. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello: HiWindows 10 HomeOffice 365 Business Premium I use a Windows 10 Home edition desktop. I have recently purchased a 10 user license for my charity of Office 365. To use this license on my home machine I had to add the account I have in the office 365 Admin centre to my windows...
  6. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello: HiWindows 10 HomeOffice 365 Business Premium I use a Windows 10 Home edition desktop. I have recently purchased a 10 user license for my charity of Office 365. To use this license on my home machine I had to add the account I have in the office 365 Admin centre to my windows...
  7. Reset minimum PIN length to 4 in Windows Hello

8. Enforcing Minimum Password Length Longer Than 14 Characters on Server 2016/2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enforcing Minimum Password Length Longer Than 14 Characters on Server 2016/2019: Good day,I would like to check whether a standalone Windows Server 2016/2019 host that is not joined to any domainhas any way of enforcing a minimum password length that is longer than 14 characters out of the box.If it is impossible, it's alright as well as we simply require...
  9. Enforcing Minimum Password Length Longer Than 14 Characters on Server 2016/2019

Enforcing Minimum Password Length Longer Than 14 Characters on Server 2016/2019: Good day,I would like to check whether a standalone Windows Server 2016/2019 host that is not joined to any domainhas any way of enforcing a minimum password length that is longer than 14 characters out of the box.If it is impossible, it's alright as well as we simply require...
  10. Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information The local account. You can set a value of between 1 and 14 characters, or you can establish that no...