Windows 10: Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?

Discus and support Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since my Lenovo X230T has sometimes been hot to the touch lately, I am using OpenHardwareMonitor to check the CPU temperature. I would like to have it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Doward Vallie, May 21, 2022.

1. Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?

Since my Lenovo X230T has sometimes been hot to the touch lately, I am using OpenHardwareMonitor to check the CPU temperature. I would like to have it start up automatically, but it requires admin privileges, so the built-in option "Run On Windows Startup" which creates a scheduled task only works if one is generally using an admin account. Since I prefer to use admin accounts only when necessary, I have modified the scheduled task along the lines discussed in this thread. However, I prefer not to give full admin privileges to a scheduled task if that can be avoided. What are

:)

Doward Vallie, May 21, 2022
  2. rsbrux Win User

Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?

Since my Lenovo X230T has sometimes been hot to the touch lately, I am using OpenHardwareMonitor to check the CPU temperature. I would like to have it start up automatically, but it requires admin privileges, so the built-in option "Run On Windows Startup" (which creates a scheduled task) only works if one is generally using an admin account. Since I prefer to use admin accounts only when necessary, I have modified the scheduled task along the lines discussed in this thread. However, I prefer not to give full admin privileges to a scheduled task if that can be avoided. What are the minimum privileges required to read the CPU temperature in Windows 10?
    I am using Windows 10 20H2 but can update to 21H2 if that is advisable.

rsbrux, May 21, 2022
  3. rsbrux Win User

Well I figured out how to do that on the file's "Compatibility" tab, but it doesn't help the scheduled task any. In fact, I can no longer get the scheduled task to run at all.
    Thanks, but
    1. The batch job still requires admin privileges and causes a UAC prompt.
    2. It only delivers the instantaneous temperature when it is run. Of course, I could embed it in an endless loop, but then I would have to keep a command window open to monitor the temperature. What I like about OHM is that it can monitor the temperature and display it in the systray.
    Anyway, my next attempt will be something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that also failed. I didn't even put the script in the startup folder, because it already failed the first test recommended by the author:
    "To check if this method will work for an app, run the VB script first before you move it to the startup folder."
    It didn't even work running the script as administrator!
    Since the thread I referred to in the original post mentioned Core Temp, I also tried it out, but experienced similar problems.
    The method described there does not work, which is unsurprising, given that the post the author refers to says:
    >>
    !!! Attention !!!
    This guide has been outdated with the release of the latest version
    Download the latest version
    <<
    However, the latest version of Core Temp (1.17.1) doesn't do any better. As expected, Core Temp needs to be run with admin privileges to read CPU temperature. If I check "Start Core Temp with Windows" in its Settings dialog, it creates a scheduled task similar to the one described in the original post. However, the scheduled task doesn't run if I login using a different account:
    >>
    Event ID: 332
    Task Category: Launch condition not met, user not logged-on
    <<
    Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can monitor CPU temperature while logged in to a normal, non-admin account?

rsbrux, May 21, 2022
  4. rsbrux Win User

Meanwhile I have tried the following, which don't work:
    • AIDA64 Extreme
    • Core Temp
    • CPU Thermometer
    • HWinfo
    • HWMonitor
    • HWMonitor Pro
    • Open Hardware Monitor
    • Real Temp
    • Sidebar Diagnostics
    • SpeedFan
    The following do work:
    Argus Monitor isn't free, but I prefer it, because it can display CPU temperature (or anything else you choose) in a systray icon.
    However, as it turns out, I may not need it for longer than the trial period, as I think I have diagnosed my heat problem. The "Balanced" power profile I was using changes the cooling policy to "passive" on battery (i.e. turns off the fan) but leaves "Maximum processor state" at 100%. I will experiment with these settings. If I can't live with whatever throttling I find necessary to keep the CPU cool enough on passive cooling, then I will take the hit on battery life by changing it to active.
    Of course, Argus Monitor is so cool I may wind up paying for it ;-)

P.S. After rereading this thread, I realize that the title question is still unanswered. Argus Monitor was installed under a domain admin account. I would still prefer to give the process the minimum required permissions, so the first step would presumably be to remove it and reinstall it using a local admin account. The question remains whether full admin privileges are needed. If not, I would like to identify whatever subset would be adequate, but haven't found any documentation on the subject.

rsbrux, May 21, 2022
Thema:

1. Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures? - Similar Threads - Minimum privileges needed

2. Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?: Since my Lenovo X230T has sometimes been hot to the touch lately, I am using OpenHardwareMonitor to check the CPU temperature. I would like to have it start up automatically, but it requires admin privileges, so the built-in option "Run On Windows Startup" which creates a...
  3. Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minimum privileges needed to read CPU core temperatures?: Since my Lenovo X230T has sometimes been hot to the touch lately, I am using OpenHardwareMonitor to check the CPU temperature. I would like to have it start up automatically, but it requires admin privileges, so the built-in option "Run On Windows Startup" which creates a...
  4. GPU temperature readings

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPU temperature readings: All I want to know is how to change the temperature reading in the task manager for the GPU to Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. Can someone help me out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpu-temperature-readings/c8cc7cc8-ac1f-4063-9e2b-0ce105c8042f
  5. High CPU Temperatures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High CPU Temperatures: Hi, I have been having some high CPU temperatures on my laptop while I have just been using MS Word. While this has been happening, I have been looking at the temperatures in HWmonitor, on average it was reading 110 degrees Celsius. So I put the laptop into hibernation...
  6. Inconsistent CPU temperatures?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Inconsistent CPU temperatures?: I recently bought and installed the CRYORIG C7 for my AMD-FX 6300. I had intentions of overclocking, but the motherboard was acting weird. But my question: across three different pieces of software, my cpu temp has two different temperatures. Speedfan shows a averagely hot...
  7. CPU Temperature: How To View CPU Temperature?

CPU Temperature: How To View CPU Temperature?: Hi all, I've been using an app called "HWMonitor" to measure the temperature of my PC's internal components and it works great, but I want to use another app to do the same thing just so I can compare the numbers that both apps give. What's the most popular app for...
  8. CPU temperatures

CPU temperatures: Hello Forum. last night my PC suddenly switched off 2 times within 3 hours. I didnt get a BSOD, just switched off. I did some googling to get some info, and saw it may be a case of CPU cooler, or fan, dust etc etc. I also downloaded some software to see the temp of my...
  9. High CPU Temperature ?

High CPU Temperature ?: On normal, it stays on 60-70, maybe 80 sometimes, but as soon as I start something that's graphics related, it kicks up to 90s. The fan really starts to kick in when about 93 degrees are reached, but it doesn't go down unless I stop the graphics stuff. Highest I've seen it go...
  10. Need CPU Temperature?

Need CPU Temperature?: Hi guys anybody here knows a good CPU Temperature software for win 10, without having to download advertising crap with it? 4460