Windows 10: Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...

Discus and support Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Category: Minor Details: When permanently deleting a file from a folder, the name of that deleted file vanishes at once. However, if a file name is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anwarul Bashir Shuaib, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...

Category: Minor

Details: When permanently deleting a file from a folder, the name of that deleted file vanishes at once. However, if a file name is searched from the search bar and after it is found, deleting it permanently does not remove the name of that file until the current window is refreshed.

Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... 28439407-863d-46c2-a434-1950b6b6532a?upload=true.png

I've created the file foo.txt in my folder. I searched for it and the result popped out. If I click that folder and hit Shift+Delete, the file will be permanently deleted and should no longer appear in my search list. However, it does appear until I refresh the page. The bug is not troublesome if the search list contains a file or two, but becomes very annoying when there are multiple files like below:

Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... 38e90c03-b707-4e13-b977-5030bcd8b518?upload=true.png

Each time I delete a file, the name does not vanish at once(which is very unhelpful for keeping track of my non-deleted files) and I have to manually refresh the window in order to do that.

I hope the support team should look forward to this matter.

Cheers!

:)

Anwarul Bashir Shuaib, Nov 20, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Nov 20, 2019
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Nov 20, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...

Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder...

1. Minor bug[Permanently deleting a searched folder does not remove the name of that folder... - Similar Threads - Minor bug Permanently

2. How to delete the Windows.old folder PERMANENTLY?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete the Windows.old folder PERMANENTLY?: These two folders are annoying me, I'm unable to delete both of them. Both the folders are taking up too much space on the disk, around 5-6 GB. Whenever, I try to delete them permanently, I get a message that, you don't have the permissions because it's owned by the...
  3. How to avoid permanent search in a folder

How to avoid permanent search in a folder: Hello,I observe a rather annoying activity in a folder, containing video files: when the contents of this folder change, a search engine kicks in, blocking access to the files.How to stop it ?Thanks....
  4. Cant delete folder, it is bugged?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant delete folder, it is bugged?: [ATTACH] This occurred because i was playing with shortcut. So, i created a shortcut for this folder, i deleted that folder and create a new one with the same name. Then... as you can see, it bugged and i cant delete it anymore. Pls help :(...
  5. Names of permanently deleted files and folders.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Names of permanently deleted files and folders.: is it possible to access Names of permanently deleted files in folder? I accidentaly removed lots of files in my downloads folder, as soon as TRIM is enabled on my SSD it was impossible for me to recover removed files, so I'm interested if its possible to see names of...
  6. Names of permanently deleted files in current folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Names of permanently deleted files in current folder: is it possible to access Names of permanently deleted files in folder? I accidentaly removed lots of files in my downloads folder, as soon as TRIM is enabled on my SSD it was impossible for me to recover removed files, so I'm interested if its possible to see names of...
  7. Permanently delete default folders

Permanently delete default folders: Every time I delete these folders they keep coming back. I don't need them. How do I stop them from being restored?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permanently-delete-default-folders/d28689ae-92b2-4cc3-a600-657d66699eee"
  8. Folder "Search" not deleting old file names

Folder "Search" not deleting old file names: For some reason my computer isn't deleting old file names. Example: I have a picture named "Bob 1.0". I then change the name to "Bob 2.0". I then move that picture from Folder 1A to Folder 2B. When I do a search for "Bob" I get three results: I get "Bob 1.0", "Bob 2.0" in...
  9. Home folder named Folders is this a bug?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Home folder named Folders is this a bug?: Hello! I have a notebook running Windows 10 Pro v1803 and I just noticed that the user files icon on the desktop reads "Folders" instead of "Sotiris" which is my user name. This is also what I see as a shortcut in Classic Start Menu instead of "Sotiris" it reads "Folders. If...
  10. Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name: Unable to delete a folder on an external USB HDD. Tried with take ownership. Tried Takedown, and some options on Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums I booted from USB (WinPE/Paragon) and accessed command prompt from there. Deleting the...