Windows 10: Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

Discus and support Mirroring a striped volume with another drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have 3 drives: two 1TB drives and one 2TB drive. I currently have a striped volume setup for the two 1TB drives. I am wondering: is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChapterSevenSeeds, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

Hello everyone. I have 3 drives: two 1TB drives and one 2TB drive. I currently have a striped volume setup for the two 1TB drives. I am wondering: is there a way to mirror the striped volume with my 2TB drive? I am realizing that this is likely not possible with Windows Disk Management. Does anyone know of a third party driver that will do this for me?

:)

ChapterSevenSeeds, Nov 29, 2020

2. What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

My question is more hypothetical. I would like to know what would happen if one drive from a two drive raid configuration were to die in both striped and mirrored volumes. In simpler terms,

2 drives in a striped volume. One drive dies. What happens? Can I still see and access data from the surviving drive?

And,

2 drives in a mirrored volume. One drive dies. What happens? Can i still see and access data on the surviving drive?

GarbageSauce, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Eberwurz Win User
    What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

From the article in my first answer:

A striped volume is created by combining areas of free space on two or more disks into one logical volume. Striped volumes use RAID-0, which stripes data across multiple disks. Striped volumes cannot be extended or mirrored, and do not offer fault tolerance.
    If one of the disks containing a striped volume fails, the entire volume fails. When creating striped volumes, it is best to use disks that are of the same size, model, and manufacturer.

A mirrored volume is a fault-tolerant volume that provides data redundancy by using two copies, or plexes, of the volume to duplicate the data that is stored on the volume. All data that is written to the mirrored volume is written to both plexes, which are
    located on separate physical disks. If one of the physical disks fails, the data on the failed disk becomes unavailable, but the system continues to operate using the unaffected disk.

Eberwurz, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

So im just wondering, how does Windows react when one of the drives making up half of a striped volume in disk management dies? Does Windows continue to mount and allow me to view what’s on the other drive?

What about when this happens to a mirrored volume? Is the surviving drive still mountable and would I be able to recover my files? Does Windows solicit a new drive to rebuild the mirror?

I am asking this because I’m looking for some basic backup solutions and after hearing about countless horror stories of software based raid controllers (disk management) malfunctioning and causing serious data loss, I’m honestly considering just mounting
    both backup drives separately and using something like SyncToy to mirror one to the other.

GarbageSauce, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

1. Mirroring a striped volume with another drive - Similar Threads - Mirroring striped volume

2. Striped volume bottleneck

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Striped volume bottleneck: I have a system with 4 non OS additional 1TB NVMe's PCIe 4*4gen. When I measure sequential read and write I get:IndividualPerformance 6700 GB/s read and 5000 GB/s write.2 drives MS Windows 10 striped volumeApprox. 12 GB/s read and 10GB/s write.So far so good.4 drives MS...
  3. Mirror One Display and Extend another.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mirror One Display and Extend another.: Let's say I have a three monitor setup. Is there a way to have the second monitor mirror the first, and the third extend? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mirror-one-display-and-extend-another/9d6180a5-94a2-47c5-8adc-4254b0335b3a
  4. Will reinstalling windows delete my Dynamic Striped Volume?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Will reinstalling windows delete my Dynamic Striped Volume?: Hey friends, I'm new to the windows world and loving it. With mac, i was able to create software raid-0 sets that one could move from computer to computer. Is this case with the dynamic striped volume? Meaning, If I reinstall windows on my boot drive, is my raid still...
  5. Striped volume prevents boot after updates

Striped volume prevents boot after updates: I have a software striped volume in my PC made up of 4 drives for extra storage not as a boot drive. Anytime I install Windows updates, Windows doesn't boot after restart and Automatic Repair runs chkdisk to fix errors on the striped volume before it can boot again. This also...
  6. mirrored volume for file redundancy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mirrored volume for file redundancy: I am trying to set up a mirrored volume for file redundancy. Can you use the computers hard drive plus a hard drive or do you need 2 extra hard drives. I have tried unsuccessfully to set up a mirrored drive with 1 extra hard drive. I have followed instructions but cannot get...
  7. What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?: So im just wondering, how does Windows react when one of the drives making up half of a striped volume in disk management dies? Does Windows continue to mount and allow me to view what’s on the other drive? What about when this happens to a mirrored volume? Is the surviving...
  8. Mirrored Volumes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirrored Volumes: Hi I have a Mirrored Volume in my PC - 2 x 4TB discs ( Win 10 Pro ). Can anyone tell me if I can have more than one pair of Mirrored Volumes ? I have another pair of 4TB discs that I would like to do this with. If it is possible, is it the same process as the first one...
  9. Cannot create striped volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot create striped volume: Hello all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1809. I have to 2TB hard drives that I want to set up as a striped volume(4TB total) so I can use it as a file history backup drive. The problem is that once I convert them to dynamic disks and set them as a single striped volume I get...
  10. Disk mirror failed redundancy: Remove mirror or reactivate volume?

Disk mirror failed redundancy: Remove mirror or reactivate volume?: Situation: Windows 10 1803 computer. OS drive is fine. Have two other very large disks ("3" and "4"), mirrored from within Windows. "4" has problem, taking it offline and losing its data (now shows up as "Missing"). Currently we're able to read data from disk #3. Disk...