Windows 10: Misbehaving DVD drive

Discus and support Misbehaving DVD drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 20H2 This thread spins off from Office 20007 Home and Student lost; substitutes clunky, so... Following on, I tried to make a copy of Office on a DVD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chipwood, Mar 24, 2021.

1. chipwood Win User

Misbehaving DVD drive

20H2
    This thread spins off from Office 20007 Home and Student lost; substitutes clunky, so...

Following on, I tried to make a copy of Office on a DVD to replace missing one just in case I need it agian, Once more a virtual DVD drive was created on my computer.

As told in the older thread, I deleted by ejection, then went to Device Manager to ensure it had gone. I updated drivers. Now the sole DVD drive is shown in File Explorer (described as a CD drive), but when I click on it to, say, view contents/properties, it just hangs indefinitely. Pray.

Suggestions, please, as to what is causing the above, and how to proceed.

:)

chipwood, Mar 24, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03370738

3. DVD RW Drive

Hi Julia,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

Please provide us the following information:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the exact\complete error message?
    Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives .

• Right click on the driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 24, 2021
  4. C_C
    c_C Win User

Misbehaving DVD drive

DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

Thema:

Misbehaving DVD drive

1. Misbehaving DVD drive - Similar Threads - Misbehaving DVD drive

2. Laptop Misbehaving

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Misbehaving: Hello,I'm PramodI've been using my laptop from 2 years, from last month I'm facing a weird problem.This problem started suddenly.When I start my pc, boot manager shows up and when I sign in then go to the desktop,command prompt automatically pop up and go within few seconds...
  3. Laptop Misbehaving

Laptop Misbehaving: Hello,I'm PramodI've been using my laptop from 2 years, from past few weeks I'm facing a weird problem.This problem started suddenly.When I start my pc, boot manager shows up and when I sign in then go to the desktop,command prompt automatically pop up and go within few...
  4. PC Misbehaving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Misbehaving: Hi, I'm Abinash NayakI've been using my Laptop since 2 yearsFew days ago, suddenly my PC started misbehaving,Whenever I power on my Laptop, boot manager kept showing up and when I signed in, I was gonna click the refresh but I saw something weird the "e" in the refresh was...
  5. PC Misbehaving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Misbehaving: Hi, I'm Abinash NayakI've been using my Laptop since 2 yearsFew days ago, suddenly my PC started misbehaving,Whenever I power on my Laptop, boot manager kept showing up and when I signed in, I was gonna click the refresh but I saw something weird the "e" in the refresh was...
  6. PC Misbehaving

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. PC Misbehaving

8. PC Misbehaving

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Misbehaving DVD drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Misbehaving DVD drive: 20H2 This thread spins off from Office 20007 Home and Student lost; substitutes clunky, so... Following on, I tried to make a copy of Office on a DVD to replace missing one just in case I need it agian, Once more a virtual DVD drive was created on my computer. As told in...
  10. Cortana is misbehaving

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana is misbehaving: I have Windows 10 and have Cortana turned off as much as I can. (Every slider is in the off position.) However, when I turn up the volume on my bluetooth headphones which are paired to the computer, Cortana opens, turns off my music and says something like "I can learn to...