Windows 10: Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer

Discus and support Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is the first issue I haven't able to resolve after using Windows products for years I recently bought a monitor to use with my laptop while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hwmetzger, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hwmetzger Win User

Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer

This is the first issue I haven't able to resolve after using Windows products for years

I recently bought a monitor to use with my laptop while at home. Whenever I disconnect my laptop from the monitor and then shut the laptop down, upon restarting I lose all my desktop icons and icons in Windows Explorer. On the taskbar, it shows the generic white icon for programs, while the desktop has a blank icon (but still has the name underneath where the icon should be).

I've tried restarting Windows Explorer, ending and manually restarting Explorer, and rebuilt the Icon Cache without any effect on the issue. I've attached a screenshot of my desktop

Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer [​IMG]

:)

Hwmetzger, Apr 17, 2017

2. Icons not displaying in Explorer

I have blank "generic" icons showing for everything that is not a folder in windows explorer.

Upon booting to desktop, I get the old blank icons on the desktop until I start working, at which point, after a short while, the desktop icons are all populated as normal.

However, in file explorer, the icons are all still blank. I have also noticed that in the View menu of Explorer, all the settings are greyed out.

I have tried the rebuilding iconcache procedure.

also tried running SFC - no integrity violations found.

TrigOfAlba, Apr 17, 2017
  3. lost homescreen/desktop icons

Are those the only icons that are missing, or are all desktop icons hidden? Try this out: right-click a blank space, point to View, and then make sure "Show desktop icons" is checkmarked.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 17, 2017
  4. mQ573 Win User

What are the laptop screen & external monitor specs (resolution, refresh frequency, DPI)?
    Are you running the new Windows Creator Update?
    Did you try shutting down your laptop first and then disconnect the monitor (As you should normally do)?
    What happens if you connect the monitor back?

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  5. Hwmetzger Win User
    Both the laptop and screen are 1920x1080 resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate. Laptop has a small 13" screen while the monitor is a 27". I have no idea if I'm running the Creator Update, though my laptop should be up to date so I would assume yes.

I'm not around the monitor at the moment, but usually I can hook it back up and restart the computer to make the icons come back. I tried doing this with a monitor here at college but it doesn't affect it.

Hwmetzger, Apr 17, 2017
  6. mQ573 Win User
    Try this: Using the registry Editor, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons
    Look for an empty key of REG_SZ type named 9 or 29
    Give it the value C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll or C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll,29
    Restart

mQ573, Apr 18, 2017
  7. Just wanted to say, I had the same problem as you and did as mQ573 said and it worked. Best of luck to you!

ArielLeAnn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing/Blank Icons on Desktop and Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Missing Blank Icons

2. Missing icons in Windows Explorer and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing icons in Windows Explorer and desktop: Hi. Recently i created a new user profile, but when i activated the account, i see that the icons on desktop are only names and when i open windows explorer, there is no icons or when i open control panel, theres even nothing.Note: when i log in to my account, windows...
  3. Missing icons in Windows Explorer and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing icons in Windows Explorer and desktop: Hi. Recently i created a new user profile, but when i activated the account, i see that the icons on desktop are only names and when i open windows explorer, there is no icons or when i open control panel, theres even nothing.Note: when i log in to my account, windows...
  4. Missing icons in Windows Explorer and desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop blank icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop blank icons: So suddenly my desktop icons went blank and I don’t know how to fix it, any help would be appreciated… https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-blank-icons/ad4378f9-61cf-40ac-898c-600196925ea8
  6. Desktop blank icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop blank icons: So suddenly my desktop icons went blank and I don’t know how to fix it, any help would be appreciated… https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-blank-icons/ad4378f9-61cf-40ac-898c-600196925ea8
  7. Desktop blank icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Blank icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank icons on desktop: I downloaded a game on my computer and now some of my things look like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-icons-on-desktop/f073dcc5-bd2d-45b7-ac4a-9578f7ce24b5
  9. Desktop Icons are blank.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons are blank.: So, i recently installed an M.2 NVMe and reinstalled windows etc.. it had some bumps but was fine, i deleted some stuff off of my SSD because i cloned my HDD and when i booted my PC up the next day.. *most* (not all) of my icons are just blank sheets of paper.. i have deleted...
  10. ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    ALL icons missing/blank (desktop, taskbar, explorer): Hi all, - Had the laptop hooked up to the TV last night via HDMI - Unplugged, then closed lid - putting it to sleep - Turned on today, no icons whatsoever. - Tried restarting the laptop - Tried restarting 'explorer.exe' Any tips for getting them back? It's...