Windows 10: Missing Boot Sector

Discus and support Missing Boot Sector in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have gotten into some complications with my Windows 10 install with missing a boot sector after performing these steps:- 1. Cloned my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ValorZero, Aug 14, 2020.

1. ValorZero Win User

Missing Boot Sector

Hello, I have gotten into some complications with my Windows 10 install with missing a boot sector after performing these steps:-

1. Cloned my Windows installation with Acronis True Image tool from my hard drive to my m.2 SSD

2. Deleted partitions and formatted the hard drive, to be used as storage

3. Result: Missing boot manager error

Is there a way to transplant a working boot sector in my m.2 SSD from either the hard drive or from a bootable USB stick without performing another format and OS install on the drive?

Help would be much appreciated, thank you so much.

:)

ValorZero, Aug 14, 2020
  2. hmltz Win User

Missing Windows 10 boot sector files

I upgraded from preloaded Win 8 and Win 7 Pro (the one used) with a digital download of Win 10 (ver 6.1.7600). My HP ProBook 4540s won't boot and attempts to boot end with a message indicating missing boot sector files. I managed to get into the' command
    prompt by booting from another computer's HDD connected via USB. I detached the external HDD after getting the cmd.exe prompt
    X:\window\system32>.

I've tried fixing the MBR with the "bootrec /fixmbr" (The system cannot find the path specified) and "bootsect /nt60 C:" (Could not map drive C: to an associated volume device object). Maybe someone might help me with the
    correct string because I really can't get around /nt60, SYS, ALL/ <DriveLetter>, /mbr, /fixmbr, /fixboot... and whatever else I've missed listing.

hmltz, Aug 14, 2020
  3. BAD SECTORS ON HDD, REFORMAT AND REINSTALL W10 FREE UPGRADE

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with the response to our questions.

I suggest you to run Check disk and check if it helps. Remove your external Hard drive and perform the steps on your system:

Check disk is a utility that can check your hard drive for corrupted segments and fix them. You can refer to these steps to run the Check disk utility:

• Press Windows key + X, select “Command promt (Admin)”.

• In the command prompt window, type
      “chkdsk/r” and press Enter.

• Press “Y” when it asks if you want to check disk to run when the computer boots the next time.

• Restart the computer for Check disk to detect and repair any corrupted sectors in your hard drive.
    Important: While performing Error-checking or ChkDsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found and when attempting to repair that sector, the
    data available on that sector might b
    e lost.

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Missing Boot Sector

Receiving error while booting Win 10 : "boot manager missing"

Hello,

The error you're experiencing is commonly caused by a damaged or missing boot sector. We recommend download and create a Media Creation Tool on this
    link and then follow the steps on this
    article to do all the suggested methods in resolving the error.

Update us if the issue gets resolved.

Ian Ser, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Missing Boot Sector

1. Missing Boot Sector - Similar Threads - Missing Boot Sector

2. Booting after moving boot sector.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting after moving boot sector.: Hello all, thank you for your time!I've just moved the position on my Windows C: partition from about 300GB away from system partition to right next to it.There was previously a partition there containing old junk from a file transfer a few weeks ago.I deleted the partition...
  3. Booting after moving boot sector.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting after moving boot sector.: Hello all, thank you for your time!I've just moved the position on my Windows C: partition from about 300GB away from system partition to right next to it.There was previously a partition there containing old junk from a file transfer a few weeks ago.I deleted the partition...
  4. Booting after moving boot sector.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. boot-sector virus.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    boot-sector virus.: so this thing lives in the X: Boot partition and I have been going at removing it for quite some time and no worky, I tried complete format, low-level format, deleted "system volume information" it did seem to help, I dont think the virus is active anymore, updated BIOS from...
  6. Problems with boot sector

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with boot sector: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  7. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  8. Boot sector

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot sector: In someone reason boot is maked on disk 1, not in disc 0????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-sector/c24b6009-9c7b-4b82-957d-e41eb5ecbc2b
  9. Loss of computer boot sector.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of computer boot sector.: Hi, I have a very important problem. My computer lost all of it's data after I shut it down, because of lag. It sent me to Automatic Repair, and I tried restarting/shutting down the computer, and it done the same thing. I tried all of the ways to repair it. I even tried...
  10. Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled: On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time. Windows 10 boots and works fine so I know the OS and TPM have the correct information or the system would not boot. However the HP...