Windows 10: missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10

Discus and support missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10pro x64... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gilbertriley, Dec 5, 2018.

1. missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10

missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10pro x64

:)

gilbertriley, Dec 5, 2018
  2. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Dec 5, 2018
  3. DVD drive missing after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Rita,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about DVD drive missing on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the make and model of your device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: If the drive is being detected in Device Manager try the below to update the drivers:

• Right click on Start button and select
        Device Manager.

• Expand DVD/CD ROM drives, right click on the drivers and click on
        Update driver software.

• Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 2:
    If the device is not detected on your computer try to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to refer to the responses in the thread and check if it helps:
    CD/DVD Drive Missing!

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 5, 2018
  4. missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10

How to Fix a DVD or CD Drive Not Working or Missing in Windows 10 ?

Hi Ella,

Upgrading from an older version of Windows might have caused some issue with the previously compatible CD/DVD drive drivers. To correct this problem, we suggest following these troubleshooting steps:

Reinstall or update your driver from the Device Manager

• Open Device Manger by searching it from the Start menu or
      Cortana.
    • Click the drop-down arrow next to DVD/CD-ROM drives to reveal the existing optical drives.
    • Right-click on your optical drive and select Uninstall
    • Restart your PC after uninstalling the optical drive. Windows will automatically detect the drive then reinstall it. You can also use the option
      Update Driver Software from the Device Manager.

Should the issue persists, we suggest removing the virtual drive software if you have any then repeat the steps above.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem

Adrianne Buc, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10

1. missing cd/dvd drives after upgrading to windows 10 - Similar Threads - missing dvd drives

2. DVD/CD drive missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD/CD drive missing: Unable to find all drives except my C: drive. Even went into registry to try and delete upper and lower filters. They dont exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive-missing/68b6d901-97d0-430b-81bd-67aebafa94cc
  3. Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update

Dvd and cd drive missing in device manager after update: Anybody had this issue recently AFTER LATEST UPDATE TO WINDOWS 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-and-cd-drive-missing-in-device-manager-after/de93bf81-b4ca-4eb1-9b3e-8e9e5a5a26ab
  4. CD / DVD Player not working after windows 10 upgrade

CD / DVD Player not working after windows 10 upgrade: Hello. My CD player was not showing up after upgrade. Now it is after following some tips on the internet. When I first got it to show up, I managed to download a CD to iTunes. Now it won't work. Not sure what to do now....
  5. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  6. Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing

Windows 10 cd/dvd drive missing: When my laptop was purchased it was already Windows 10 and came with a cd/dvd drive. I never had a problem with it until today when I tried to burn a cd. When I put the cd in it just spins and I am unable to locate the drive in windows explorer. Would an update remove any...
  7. Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10

Missing Cd DVD Drive after update to Windows 10: I tried to burn a cd on my computer and kept getting the message that I don't have a cd burner. I looked in device manager and the cv dvd hard drive was missing. I went into the hidden devices and found the cd drive there but it says that its not connected to my computer...
  8. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  9. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  10. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...