Windows 10: Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

Discus and support Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Amanda Allen, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

This morning when I booted up my desktop, all of my icons on the desktop were missing, although the shortcut is still there and works. The icons in the taskbar now have a generic looking icon. Right clicking on the start menu no longer brings up the menu and when I go to file explorer no icons appear.

How can I get these things back? Everything was working fine yesterday when I logged off and it didn't appeared to have an update.

Please help.

:)

Amanda Allen, Jun 20, 2017
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Jun 20, 2017
  3. No desktop icons and no file properties available

Anna,

Clean boot resulted in no change.

File properties are unavailable.

Icons are missing from desktop, File Explorer, and taskbar but not from Start.

Bill

Bill-WR1TR, Jun 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

Hi, please have a look at your Update History and check there was no update in that period.

Do you have
    a. System Restore enabled, and any appropriate restore points you can use?
    b. any recent disk images or system images you can restore? (We constantly and strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging so people can often get themselves out of difficulty quite quickly and without technical help - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for image sets).

Which build of Windows are you using?
    (Windows key + R, winver)

Home or Pro?

As regards your desktop, what do you see if you right click an empty space, hover over View? Is Show desktop icons ticked?

Please check your disk. I don't know if you will be able to run a program easily given the problems you have, but you can
    a. download a portable program and try running it
    Portable Hard Disk Sentinel Professional Download
    or
    Portable CrystalDiskInfo Download

(I prefer the first)
    and post a screenshot of the GUI.
    to post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

If you can't run those programs, then please download and create Kyhi's bootable disk from the top of the Software and Apps section here. One of its utilities is HD Tune. Boot your PC from that and run HD Tune and advise the result.

Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 20, 2017
  5. Last update was done over 10 days ago. system restore is enables, but none worked. version 1607 (OS Build 14393-1358) Pro version Yes Is Show Desktop Icons is ticked.

Amanda Allen, Jun 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    - in what way did they not work? What error number was reported? There is a way to fix a very commonly occurring error number reported in this forum - 80070091 as I recall.

Please do the disk checks as something must have happened to give rise to these symptoms. Thanks.
    (If you can install and run a program, then use Hard Disk Sentinel (trial).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed

1. Missing Desktop icons, taskbar icons changed - Similar Threads - Missing Desktop icons

2. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  3. Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing icon in taskbar when change desktop: Has anyone experienced this too? When moving desktops in Windows, some of the icons on the taskbar sometimes disappear, sometimes they appear again....
  4. Taskbar Icons missing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar Icons missing.: I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. Some of my taskbar icons became invisible. When I say I tried all the fixes short of wiping my hard drive, I truly did. I downgraded back to Win 10. All was well for a few weeks until today. While using my laptop, some icons suddenly...
  5. Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing taskbar and Icons on desktop: Within the last week my desktop changed. I lost all links I had posted and lost the taskbar. What appeared is the display one used to get when clicking the WINDOWS icon, bottom left. New computer, Windows 10 32 bit. How do I remove the current dislay on desktop & restore...
  6. Missing icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icons in taskbar: I don't why, but I have at least, constantly, one icon missing in my taskbar. since some days I can't display all of them with the settings. Currently, the sound icon is missing. Any idea? https://i.imgur.com/vgclbaR.png The white part on the screenshot is disappearing too...
  7. change size of taskbar and desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    change size of taskbar and desktop icons: The icons on my desktop icons suddenly got huge and all could not fit on the screen. Simultaneously, the taskbar icons got very small. I had not done anything intentionally to cause this. I tried clicking settings I got pressing the windows button (lower lft of screen). I...
  8. Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Disappeared and Taskbar Icons Changed: I have a laptop with a 4k 17.3" display. When set to native resolution, 3840x2160, some programs do not display their dialog boxes and menus in usable form. In an attempt to correct this I have tried setting the display resolution to 1920x1080. Then setting the magnification...
  9. taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar missing and desktop icons missing_black background no icons: My taskbar is missing and my icons on the desktop are missing as well the background is dark kindly help*Shock 24989
  10. Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop is black with no icons, Taskbar icons missing +more...: Hi, My computer's desktop is blank (black) with no desktop icons. [img] My task bar icons are missing. My windows button doesn't open. I can not access settings (even using CTRL R -> ms-settings: OR right-clicking task-bar. It "times out"). There is "no...