Windows 10: Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

Discus and support Missing Desktop link in user folder ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please can anyone help me with a small problem ? if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Darkmiss Win User

Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

Please can anyone help me with a small problem ?

if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the location tab
    which I was trying to do, as I have my Mp3s in a music folder on my D Drive.

whilst trying to do that I accidentally moved it to the desktop location of my use folder.
    So now both the Desktop and music icons in my explorer are both linked to the same location, (users/username/music) and the desktop link in my user folder has gone.

Does anyone have any idea how I can correct this please ?

:)

Darkmiss, Aug 2, 2015
  2. JJRR251 Win User

Windows Explorer desktop.

I use windows explorer to go to C:\Users\User\Desktop but the files there do no match my actual desktop, that folder is missing some files. How do I fix this so my C:\Users\user\Desktop and actual desktop match, and can therefore delete things from the
    desktop using windows explorer.

JJRR251, Aug 2, 2015
  3. NanGD_ Win User
    Desktop Files Disappearing on Windows 10

Feb 26, 20176

This has just happened to me today. I thought I was missing program icons, but it seems they were just moved around; however, I am missing a folder of documents and other files, while two other folders and their contents remain on the desktop undisturbed.
    If I go to File Explorer C:/Users/Myname/Desktop or
    THIS PC/Desktop, all three folders show. But when actually viewing the desktop, only two folders are there.

I did a search in THIS PC for Folder3 and two instances were found.

C:/Users/Myname/Desktop and F:/FileHistory/Myname/Mycomputername/Data/C/Users/Myname/Desktop

Using File Explorer, I copied Folder3 and its contents to an external drive for backup.

Then I deleted the one from C:/Users/Myname/Desktop

On the desktop, I tried to recreate the folder, but as soon as I named it Folder3, the "New Folder" disappeared from the desktop. So I created a folder called Folder3a. Then I copied everything from Folder3 on my external drive to it, and it remains. So
    I guess I got around it, but yikes!

Any real fix for this?

NanGD_, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Darkmiss Win User

bump, could reallly use some help on this.

Darkmiss, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Missing Desktop link in user folder ? - Similar Threads - Missing Desktop link

2. Missing User Account Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing User Account Desktop Folder: I bought a new PC with Windows 11 already installed. When I tried to save something to my user folder's desktop folder, it does not exist:I found out it is using my OneDrive desktop folder. I tried adding a desktop folder to the user account, reboot, but it still uses the...
  3. Missing User Account Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing User Account Desktop Folder: I bought a new PC with Windows 11 already installed. When I tried to save something to my user folder's desktop folder, it does not exist:I found out it is using my OneDrive desktop folder. I tried adding a desktop folder to the user account, reboot, but it still uses the...
  4. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  5. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  6. User Folder is Missing

7. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  8. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  9. User Folder Missing

10. desktop icon missing from user folder

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icon missing from user folder: Hello! I'm having an issue with the desktop folder icon always disappearing from the user folder. The desktop folder is there but just as a plain folder. Found the post by Shawn Brink on how to check the desktop.ini file and that is good. Oddly enough I had a similar issue...