Windows 10: Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

Discus and support Missing Desktop link in user folder ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please can anyone help me with a small problem ? if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkmiss, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Darkmiss Win User

Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

Please can anyone help me with a small problem ?

if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the location tab
    which I was trying to do, as I have my Mp3s in a music folder on my D Drive.

whilst trying to do that I accidentally moved it to the desktop location of my use folder.
    So now both the Desktop and music icons in my explorer are both linked to the same location, (users/username/music) and the desktop link in my user folder has gone.

Does anyone have any idea how I can correct this please ?

:)

Darkmiss, Aug 2, 2015
  2. JJRR251 Win User

Windows Explorer desktop.

I use windows explorer to go to C:\Users\User\Desktop but the files there do no match my actual desktop, that folder is missing some files. How do I fix this so my C:\Users\user\Desktop and actual desktop match, and can therefore delete things from the
    desktop using windows explorer.

JJRR251, Aug 2, 2015
  3. NanGD_ Win User
    Desktop Files Disappearing on Windows 10

Feb 26, 20176

This has just happened to me today. I thought I was missing program icons, but it seems they were just moved around; however, I am missing a folder of documents and other files, while two other folders and their contents remain on the desktop undisturbed.
    If I go to File Explorer C:/Users/Myname/Desktop or
    THIS PC/Desktop, all three folders show. But when actually viewing the desktop, only two folders are there.

I did a search in THIS PC for Folder3 and two instances were found.

C:/Users/Myname/Desktop and F:/FileHistory/Myname/Mycomputername/Data/C/Users/Myname/Desktop

Using File Explorer, I copied Folder3 and its contents to an external drive for backup.

Then I deleted the one from C:/Users/Myname/Desktop

On the desktop, I tried to recreate the folder, but as soon as I named it Folder3, the "New Folder" disappeared from the desktop. So I created a folder called Folder3a. Then I copied everything from Folder3 on my external drive to it, and it remains. So
    I guess I got around it, but yikes!

Any real fix for this?

NanGD_, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Darkmiss Win User

bump, could reallly use some help on this.

Darkmiss, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Missing Desktop link in user folder ? - Similar Threads - Missing Desktop link

2. Missing C:\users\Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing C:\users\Documents folder: For some time now I have been unable to see the Windows "Documents" folder on C:\users. All I see is the C:\users\OneDrive\Documents folder. Does OneDirve somehow interact with the Windows Documents folder and somehow combine them? I can't imagine that to be the case...
  3. How to link a folder on my desktop PC -and- laptop to a folder on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to link a folder on my desktop PC -and- laptop to a folder on OneDrive: On both my desktop PC and laptop I have specific folders that I want to be synchronized using OneDrive. Say they are both named 'PDF', so on desktop: X:\PDF on laptop: Y:\PDF by using: mklink /j "%UserProfile%\OneDrive\PDF" "X:\PDF" I can 'link' the desktop folder to...
  4. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  5. Missing mobile links

in Browsers and Email
    Missing mobile links: I have an MS Lumia 550 mobile and my problem is with Edge browser I have lost the Fav's list under the History icon, the Reading lists & Downloads are okay as for the considerable number of links I'm lost any help would be great. Thank you. Paul. 91873
  6. Hard link directory junctions in User folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hard link directory junctions in User folder: So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the...
  7. Missing folders from the "User's File" folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing folders from the "User's File" folder: This is weird. I've just done a clean install of Win10Pro64 (as I have many times before) and I have something odd happening with the "User's File" folder icon on the desktop (put there from desktop>personalise>themes>desktop-icon-settings). When I open up my user files...
  8. How to delete USER FOLDER link

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete USER FOLDER link: Have been using Win10 for about 6 months when a User folder icon appeared on the Desktop. No idea what I did to make it happen. I believe the Desktop User folder is a link to the C:/Users/file Adding or deleting a file in the C:/Users/file also the same results appear in the...
  9. Issue with user folders link in start menu !

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with user folders link in start menu !: Hello everybody, I'm desesperated because after spent already 5 hours, i can't get it solved... Here is my issue : I was in my users folders & deleted them (Download, Favorites, Videos etc...) Then, i realized that my start menu which has option to "ON" to make them...
  10. Linking to Users folder on different drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Linking to Users folder on different drive: Hello, Has anyone had any trouble linking the C:\users folder on another machine? I have successfully done this all the last 3 installs of windows I have done following these instructions: How To Change User Profile Location in Windows 8 without Registry Hack | Next of...