Windows 10: Missing directories in 2 popular file managers

Discus and support Missing directories in 2 popular file managers in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Both FreeCommanderXE and MultiCommander fail to show the c:\Program Files (X86) directory. Furthermore, FreeCommanderXE fails to show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bbinnard, Nov 4, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

Missing directories in 2 popular file managers

Both FreeCommanderXE and MultiCommander fail to show the c:\Program Files (X86) directory. Furthermore, FreeCommanderXE fails to show Users\<username>\Appdata and it's subdirectories.

The following screenshot shows this in 3 overlapping windows; Windows Explorer is the top windows that shows all the "missing" directories are really there. And, BTW, my system runs fine. But why do those file managers not show stuff that is really there?

Yes, I did set both programs to show both Hidden and Systems files.

Missing directories in 2 popular file managers [​IMG]

:)

bbinnard, Nov 4, 2015

2. File Manager will NOT create Directory Names or Rename a Directory

8:11 PM 2/10/2016

8. The File Manager will NOT create Directory Names

Nor will it Rename a Directory

It works Making Files, and Renaming them - just Not Directories.

I even used the Clean Manager on all unimportant files,

then Optimized (Defrag) the file structure, and Shutdown the system,

then Rebooted the system from cold. No Good. Still Failing.

The Windows Defender is up to date - Today.

No known issues were reported there.

9:02 PM 2/10/2016

KennethLilly, Nov 4, 2015
  3. File Manager will NOT create Directory Names or Rename a Directory

8:11 PM 2/10/2016

8. The File Manager will NOT create Directory Names

Nor will it Rename a Directory

It works Making Files, and Renaming them - just Not Directories.

I even used the Clean Manager on all unimportant files,

then Optimized (Defrag) the file structure, and Shutdown the system,

then Rebooted the system from cold. No Good. Still Failing.

The Windows Defender is up to date - Today.

No known issues were reported there.

9:02 PM 2/10/2016

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I went too fast and left some info out.

I have an HP Pavilion Desktop System,

and am running Windows 10, version 1511,

and use a Wide Screen Monitor.

As I have been doing for years, I create the directory

in the Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer) that

has always been considered the File Manager.

As always, I create the Directory, then Move (or Copy)

the desired files into that Directory.

Yesterday the File Manager STOPPED Making Directories.

It also won't allow a Directory to be Renamed.

And it won't allow a Directory to be Moved.

I have resorted to using the DOS Command Console

to Create and Remove desired Directories.

I issue the "md" command to Make a Directory.

I issue the "rd" command to Remove a Directory.

This is a longer and tedious way to work, but being

an old hand at DOS it is the only File Manager I have.

I would like to obtain a downloadable version of

Windows 10, v1511 (or the latest version)

so that I can re-install it as is necessary.

KennethLilly, Nov 4, 2015
  4. pyramid10 Win User

XNView shows the (x86) directory. But it does not show AppData.

It has in the past (8.1), as I recalled accessing XNView within AppData to review/retrieve desktop background pictures.

pyramid10, Nov 4, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't have those file managers, but can confirm XYplorer shows c:\Program Files (X86).

dalchina, Nov 5, 2015
  6. altae Win User
    I's been a long time since I last used FreeCommander but I think there was a separate setting for showing hidden folders in folder tree view. Because that is what's on your screenshot. Try browsing to the Program Files (x86) folder without using the folder tree, I bet it's possible to do so, I just does not show up in the folder tree.

altae, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing directories in 2 popular file managers - Similar Threads - Missing directories popular

2. File Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory: Can you compare the content of two different directories in Windows 11?I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i with Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Thank you for any information....
  3. Missing directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing directory: Windows 11Started my computer this afternoon, tried to open my primary working directory. File Manager does not show it. Tried the hidden files option with no luck. I did not delete it, but did a restore from the Recycle bin. Still does not show up. The path is...
  4. Missing directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing directory: Windows 11Started my computer this afternoon, tried to open my primary working directory. File Manager does not show it. Tried the hidden files option with no luck. I did not delete it, but did a restore from the Recycle bin. Still does not show up. The path is...
  5. Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!: Gentlemen, a mini-catastrophe happened to my laptop Asus X751L - for no reason, all the files /documents in the "Documents" folder and in the "Downloads" folder have completely disappeared !!!... What is a probable reason for such an elimination/ erasing of the documents in...
  6. Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Burning Mystery of missing file directories !!!: Gentlemen, a mini-catastrophe happened to my laptop Asus X751L - for no reason, all the files /documents in the "Documents" folder and in the "Downloads" folder have completely disappeared !!!... What is a probable reason for such an elimination/ erasing of the documents in...
  7. File directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File directory: Is there anyway to revert back to the old format, this new one is awful. submitted by /u/Mystreanon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nfm3lv/file_directory/
  8. Missing download directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing download directory: When attempting to download programs Edge, Office, etc I get the message ...can’t access download directory... And when I try to Restore/Reset windows 10 I can’t complete the process....
  9. User directory filled with odd files and missing others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User directory filled with odd files and missing others: My user directory has odd files in it. They look like system files and there were a lot more than now but I deleted them. I can't delete these because Windows tells me they are in use by the system. Maybe that's why they look like system files. I have a picture of the...
  10. HDD & SSD - Proper file directory/data management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD & SSD - Proper file directory/data management: Hello, I'm wondering if I'm able to create two system folders onto my secondary drive to save space on my ssd? When installing messenger, I was asked to install the app into a system folder on my C drive but I want it saved on my secondary drive without breaking features...