Windows 10: Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation

Discus and support Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; New PC, newly installed W10 (Version 1903, and installed by a professional, not by me) and two normal disks, an SSD with Windows on it and a standard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ardj, Mar 24, 2020.

1. ardj Win User

Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation

New PC, newly installed W10 (Version 1903, and installed by a professional, not by me) and two normal disks, an SSD with Windows on it and a standard hard disk, as well as a CD read/write drive. Only problem is that the hard disk cannot be accessed. For background, I have fairly limited computer knowledge and am new to W10

1. The inaccessible hard disk can be found in Control Panel – Device Manager – Disk Drives, which shows 2 disks, one of which is the hard disk ST200DM008 – 2FR102. In the Properties Events tab it is shown as configured and started, with the parent device PCI, and under Volumes it is a Basic disk, online, with GUID partition table & 1 907 713 Mb (16Mb reserved space)

It can also be found in System Information or using Disk Management: there however only the C disk (SSD) is shown in the top half of the window. The bottom half shows Disk 0, the SSD, with three partitions (OEM, EFI and Boot ... Primary) and Disk 1, the hard disk, with 1.863Gb described as unallocated.

2. But in W10's "This PC" only the C drive and the BD-Rom drive (E) are shown.

Power Shell => Get-Disk shows me two disks, both online and healthy, but with serial numbers that mean nothing to me. One is disk 1 and one is disk 0, and Disk 1 seems to have the “Friendly Name” of S and Disk 0 of W, but none of it really makes any sense to me (sorry to be so ignorant).

Equally DiskPart shows me only the (not in use) CD reader and the three partitions of the SSD C-disk.

3.Presumably I need to give the hard disk a letter or something - but how ? And how can I save files to it ?

Grateful for any advice for the simple-minded, Thanks, .

Note A: In Disk Management the only options when I right click Disk 1 in the lower part of the window are Convert to Dynamic Disk and Convert to MBR Disk. Now presumably I need to do one of these, and while Dynamic Disks sound interesting, e.g. in terms of improving access times, my limited knowledge inclines me to favour MBR. But will doing this help ?

Note B: A similar query in this forum received the answer “Ah! Give it a letter then it'll show up in Explorer!” [Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10. However it does not go on to say how to do this.

:)

2. ardj Win User

New PC, newly installed W10 (Version 1903, and installed by a professional, not by me) and two normal disks, an SSD with Windows on it and a standard hard disk, as well as a CD read/write drive. Only problem is that the hard disk cannot be accessed. For background, I have fairly limited computer knowledge and am new to W10

1. The inaccessible hard disk can be found in Control Panel – Device Manager – Disk Drives, which shows 2 disks, one of which is the hard disk ST200DM008 – 2FR102. In the Properties Events tab it is shown as configured and started, with the parent device PCI, and under Volumes it is a Basic disk, online, with GUID partition table & 1 907 713 Mb (16Mb reserved space)

It can also be found in System Information or using Disk Management: there however only the C disk (SSD) is shown in the top half of the window. The bottom half shows Disk 0, the SSD, with three partitions (OEM, EFI and Boot ... Primary) and Disk 1, the hard disk, with 1.863Gb described as unallocated.

2. But in W10's "This PC" only the C drive and the BD-Rom drive (E) are shown.

Power Shell => Get-Disk shows me two disks, both online and healthy, but with serial numbers that mean nothing to me. One is disk 1 and one is disk 0, and Disk 1 seems to have the “Friendly Name” of S and Disk 0 of W, but none of it really makes any sense to me (sorry to be so ignorant).

Equally DiskPart shows me only the (not in use) CD reader and the three partitions of the SSD C-disk.

3.Presumably I need to give the hard disk a letter or something - but how ? And how can I save files to it ?

Grateful for any advice for the simple-minded, Thanks, .

Note A: In Disk Management the only options when I right click Disk 1 in the lower part of the window are Convert to Dynamic Disk and Convert to MBR Disk. Now presumably I need to do one of these, and while Dynamic Disks sound interesting, e.g. in terms of improving access times, my limited knowledge inclines me to favour MBR. But will doing this help ?

Note B: A similar query in this forum received the answer “Ah! Give it a letter then it'll show up in Explorer!” [Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10. However it does not go on to say how to do this.

3. Win 10 I have drives c, f, g when installed new printed drive f disappeared and only shows g how can i make compute showdrive f

Hello,

To address your concern about missing drive, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press Windows logo key + S on your keyboard.
    • Type diskmgmt.msc on the search box and hit Enter.
    • Look for your missing drive on the Disk Management window.
    • Right-click on it and give it a new drive letter.

Let us know if the drive will show up.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation - Similar Threads - Missing Disk drive

2. New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?: Hey all, before I get comments... yes Im new to windows 10, i dislike change Anyways... I was and have been using w8.1.. recently formatted my PC SSD and went the w10 route.. so I have a huge learning curve to deal with.. 1st.. when I was using w8.1, i had OS/Cdrive...
  3. New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    New to W10, apps installing on secondary drive?: Hey all, before I get comments... yes Im new to windows 10, i dislike change Anyways... I was and have been using w8.1.. recently formatted my PC SSD and went the w10 route.. so I have a huge learning curve to deal with.. 1st.. when I was using w8.1, i had OS/Cdrive...
  4. Disk Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Drive Missing: I recently had a problem where my pc wouldn't start and would get stuck at the windows loading screen forever till it crashed so i changed my sata to ide and it let back into my pc but now i dont see my other driver on my pc and i have only 1 driver now so i decided to reset...
  5. Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing Disk drive on new W10 installation: New PC, newly installed W10 (Version 1903, and installed by a professional, not by me) and two normal disks, an SSD with Windows on it and a standard hard disk, as well as a CD read/write drive. Only problem is that the hard disk cannot be accessed. For background, I have...
  6. Disk Drive Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Drive Missing: My machine Win10Pro MSI has a 1TB SSD C: and a 1TB HDD D:. I tried using AOMEI Backupper to backup my C drive to my D drive on 11/26/19. I just noticed on 12/24/19 that the backup failed and my D drive is nowhere to be found. It's not showing in File Explorer, Device Manager...
  7. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  8. New install of W10

in Windows 10 Support
    New install of W10: Have just installed Windows 10 dual boot with Windows 7, so it uses Windows 7 credentials. What a pig's ear Microsoft has made of this. Can't install Firefox, can't set up my Hotmail account, can't install Tweekbit, in fact, can't install anything. Keeps wanting me to part...
  9. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd): My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed. I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but...
  10. New W10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 installation: Installed a couple hours ago seems to work quite well, but how do I find my computer as in win 7 , my drives etc??? 13512