Windows 10: Missing 'Documents' folder

Discus and support Missing 'Documents' folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just booted up my new PC with an SSD primary drive and a secondary HDD for storage. I was attempting to relocate my default user folders (Documents,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James McFall, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Missing 'Documents' folder

I just booted up my new PC with an SSD primary drive and a secondary HDD for storage. I was attempting to relocate my default user folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, etc) to the HDD and somehow screwed it up. I started with the Documents folder and realized I had messed something up. Now I don't even see it listed anywhere. In the attached picture you can see that 'D:\' resides where 'Documents' used to be under both 'Quick access' and 'This PC'. In addition, 'Documents' doesn't appear in 'C:\users\mcfal'. However, when I tried to create a new folder called 'Documents' there, Windows notified me that there was already a folder with that name.

I've moved these folders on my older Windows machines with no issues, but I really botched it this time. Any help undoing my self inflicted injury would be greatly appreciated.

Missing 'Documents' folder c5625cf7-52fe-4b32-a232-7a6d4c6abd31?upload=true.jpg

:)

James McFall, Dec 10, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 10, 2019
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 10, 2019
  4. Micah Bat Win User

Missing 'Documents' folder

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

Missing 'Documents' folder

1. Missing 'Documents' folder - Similar Threads - Missing 'Documents' folder

2. My local documents folder is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My local documents folder is missing: I unsynched my onedrive account because i want to house my files locally and not use onedrive. Promptly after doing so my documents folder stopped functioning and then disappeared completely. I need this file for game functionality how do i resolve this?...
  3. Desktop and documents folders empty or missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop and documents folders empty or missing: Hello, I've built a PC about 5 years ago, and finally had the need to upgrade this past week. I ended up swapping out most components, only re-using the case and fans. After my new PC was fully set up, I installed Windows 10 Pro and all applications on my new SSD. I kept my...
  4. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  5. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  6. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Missing 'My Documents' Folder

Missing 'My Documents' Folder: I recently discovered that my 'My Documents' folder is gone from my Windows 10 PC. I believe it happened after one of the Windows updates.I contacted MicroSoft and we worked for two hours, but with no luck. We did a system restore to an earlier date, but still not luck. My...
  8. Documents Folder is missing in C drive.

Documents Folder is missing in C drive.: I've been trying to install some mods onto a game on my laptop all day to no avail. I realized that my documents folder isn't in my c drive and I have tried registry, and copy and paste the folder in and nothing works. I haven't backed up my laptop before, so that isn't an...
  9. Missing C:\users\Documents folder

Missing C:\users\Documents folder: For some time now I have been unable to see the Windows "Documents" folder on C:\users. All I see is the C:\users\OneDrive\Documents folder. Does OneDirve somehow interact with the Windows Documents folder and somehow combine them? I can't imagine that to be the case...
  10. My Documents folder is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    My Documents folder is missing: Hello all I have just formatted my PC last Monday, and i have installed drivers and Steam and American Truck Simulator. I know that my saves and mods are in My Documents folder and ATS loads still fine after the folder is missing. When I go to C:\Users\drfee there is a...