Windows 10: Missing drive and missing partitions

Discus and support Missing drive and missing partitions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 SATA Hard Drives in my system, Drive 0 is partitioned into C:, D:, E:, F: G: , Drive 1 is H; The system has been running for about 2 years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidRNorton, May 21, 2020.

1. Missing drive and missing partitions

I have 2 SATA Hard Drives in my system, Drive 0 is partitioned into C:, D:, E:, F: G: , Drive 1 is H;

The system has been running for about 2 years in that configuration until two days ago it didn't want to boot, it took about 40 minutes to boot up and all my drives and partitions were gone, File Explorer showed drive C: and D: nothing else except the CD ROM. Disk Management showed the same.

After multiple tries and failed fixes I reset the PC and re-installed Windows 10, no help, still only C: and D:

The BIOS shows two hard drives but Windows has lost drive 1 and all the partitions on drive 0 except for C: and D:

I very much need them back, can anyone help?

NOTE: it's a Dell desktop with some weird BIOS that won't allow me to remove the Splash Screen so I can't watch the boot up. If I could remove the splash screen it might help but....

:)

DavidRNorton, May 21, 2020
  2. alaedeen Win User

missing partition

I have missing partition second partition my windows is 10 I tried to resize my partitions using some soft wares I didn't complete the action cancel and close but after I was surprising d:\ is missing . I try to recover by using everyway recovery soft
    wares and disk part prumpt and mange drives in system . restoring points tell me c is ok d is missing . in disk part prompt list partition is appear like recovery but volume list disappeared . attached with computer manage result. thanks for your help
    Missing drive and missing partitions d7d42450-a3d1-4e0f-b5e8-c5a290be3f85.png

alaedeen, May 21, 2020
  3. Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Hi Perfmaster,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand the inconvenience you are experiencing with the missing partition after installing the Update.

1. Do you see a partition showing up as a RAW in disk management?

The possible cause for the Partition loss or Deletion on Windows 10:

1. Sudden power loss can corrupt Windows 10 partitions, as a result, you will not be able to access the data present on it
    2. Sometimes on Windows 10 operating system, converting the dynamic partition to basic type also damage partition table on hard disk drive result in partition loss that leads to huge data disaster
    3. Mistakenly formatting the HDD partition to extend the size of the partition, repartitioning, or unintentionally selecting faulty drive of Windows 10 for formatting thereby you may end up losing all data stored in it and also wipes out your existing
      partition
    4. If you attempt to a dual-boot or multi-boot environment to install and run multiple OS on the same system, then it might damage the existing file system and all the partitions will go missing from Windows 10 PC

However, you may try the below suggested steps to fix the issue.

Run check disk utility

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector, if any data available on that might be lost.

When we encounter this kind of situation, first thing we have to verify if OS is able to detect the file system on the partition on it or not. Best tool to verify this is to run chkdsk in read only mode. To do so,

1. Open Command prompt as administrator.
    2. Type the command: chkdsk (driveletterMissing drive and missing partitions :) /r
    3. If you are asked to recover files, select 'Yes'.
    4. If the above command doesn't work try with the command:

Chkdsk (driveletterMissing drive and missing partitions :) /f
    5. Restart the computer once and check the status of the issue.
    6. Repeat the same procedure by replacing the drive letter with E, if the above steps helps you to recover the missing partition.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 21, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Missing drive and missing partitions

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 21, 2020
Thema:

Missing drive and missing partitions

1. Missing drive and missing partitions - Similar Threads - Missing drive missing

2. Partitions are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions are missing: New Asus laptop. Had Win11 installed. 256G SSD from manufacturer. Also 1T SSD installed by Amazon reseller. ! month in and laptop starts freezing up, then the BSOD. Programs closing on their own, more BSOD. Sent to Asus. Because Amazon reseller installed what Asus said was...
  3. Partitions are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions are missing: New Asus laptop. Had Win11 installed. 256G SSD from manufacturer. Also 1T SSD installed by Amazon reseller. ! month in and laptop starts freezing up, then the BSOD. Programs closing on their own, more BSOD. Sent to Asus. Because Amazon reseller installed what Asus said was...
  4. Hard drive partitions missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions missing: Hello, My HP Laptop was originally a 1TB Laptop with three partitions C,D and E and these partitions were I guess made by the retailer who sold me the laptop not really sure if he made the partitions or they were originally there, after few months of usage I started to...
  5. Missing MSR partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  6. Missing Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing Hard Drive Partition: I have Windows 10 Home Edition on my ROG GL504GM. And I was playing a game and it freezes my system for some reason and I had to do a hard reboot. The next thing my laptop starts, my Drive D partition is missing. I tried to do a troubleshooting and it couldn't find anything....
  7. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  8. missing partition

missing partition: Hello everyone I have two partitions on my hard drive. The C:\ drive and a D:\ drive which is used primarily for data. After a recent Windows 10 update, the D drive has disappeared. It now shows in Disk Management as Disk 1, partition 5., a healthy OEM drive. It shows...
  9. EFI partition missing

EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...
  10. Drive partition is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive partition is missing: So here is my issue I had Windows 10 installed on my Asus which I had Upgraded from Windows 8. However lately my computer was running slow and unresponsive at times. I figured I would do a Factory Reset and start new on it to try and fix these issues I was having. However...