Windows 10: Missing drive letter and boot record...

Discus and support Missing drive letter and boot record... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system has two physical drives, both drives have Windows 10 Pro 64-installed: [img] Disk 0 started out its life as Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cr00zng, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Cr00zng Win User

Missing drive letter and boot record...

My system has two physical drives, both drives have Windows 10 Pro 64-installed:

Missing drive letter and boot record... [​IMG]

Disk 0 started out its life as Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS, while the other as Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit OS.

This has been working just fine, albeit Disk 0 had not been booted for a long time; trying to boot this version of Windows 10 fails.

Would assigning a drive letter fix the booting issue?

If not, is there a way to restore Disk 0's boot record?

TIA...

:)

Cr00zng, Nov 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 Pro Fails to boot due to reassigned drive letters... .. .

Will you still be able to boot to CMD on the Windows
    Recovery
    Environment (WinRE)?

Try the following:

• Go to Advanced mode and select Command Prompt. Try rebuilding your
      Master Boot Record. Note that this link is intended for Windows 7 and below. However, the steps and commands are also applicable for
      Windows 7 and above.
    • Go to Advanced mode and select Command Prompt. Try following the steps on how to assign a drive letter on this link 1 and
      link 2.

It resolves my concern before for disoriented drive letters and broken
    MBR
    . Hope this helps you too.

Winter Firefly, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Pro Fails to boot due to reassigned drive letters... .. .

This would be unhelpful.

I resolved this problem without rebuilding the MBR (Master Boot Record). I simply restored the correct drive letters to the drives using the CMD. After that I was able to successfully boot the old, non-upgradable Windows 10 and finish backing up important
    items prior to reinstallation.

Subsequently I have (finally) reinstalled the Windows 10 system, see details in other posts.

keepitsimpleengr, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Missing drive letter and boot record...

Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Seagate GoFlex Missing Drives

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience caused.

It is unusual that the drives went missing after installing the anniversary update. I suggest you to try changing the drive letter through disk management by following the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows key + R.

2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press enter.

3. If the drive is listed, right click on it and select "change drive letter".

4. Choose a different drive letter and save the changes.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Missing drive letter and boot record...

1. Missing drive letter and boot record... - Similar Threads - Missing drive letter

2. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  3. Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows MBR boot record is missing [Dual Boot]: I have dual boot with Manjaro, and my Manjaro partition can't find the boot record for Windows. That is because the /boot/EFI/Microsoft does not exist. However, my BIOS does find both installations Windows and Manjaro and succeeds in booting into them. My disk partitionsHow...
  4. weird system drive letter on dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    weird system drive letter on dual boot: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  5. Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]On rare occasions, you may find that the Drive letter is missing from File Explorer following the installation of an Update . If you have experienced this issue, here’s a way to get past the problem. A drive letter represents [...] This post Drive letter...
  6. Bitlocker icon missing on drive letter

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker icon missing on drive letter: Hi there, I have three HDD drives and four partitions. Recently I locked them all using bitlocker. The bitlocker icons are showing on my two drives letters but icons are missing on the other two partitions. [ATTACH] Why is that???...
  7. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  8. drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    drive letter missing from the list of available drive letters: Hi, I have a portable hard drive that when I plug in it is always allocated a drive letter of "M". I have programmed SYNC Toy to back up my PC to the M Drive. However now it is been allocated a drive letter of P. When I go to "This PC", I can see the drive letter M is showing...
  9. Drive letter missing.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter missing.: So just installed 10 - clean install over windows 7. I have 2 internal harddrives - one was designated as Drive G. But for some reason 10 removed G and so in computer mgmt I ended up redesignsting it as Drive Z. Any way to get the letter “G” back ? 112781
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...