Windows 10: Missing file type icons in Explorer

Discus and support Missing file type icons in Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm using Windows 10 ver. 1703. Since the last major update, the file explorer shows a blank icon for many file types instead of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by berliner77, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Missing file type icons in Explorer

Hi all,

I'm using Windows 10 ver. 1703. Since the last major update, the file explorer shows a blank icon for many file types instead of the associated application (such as Adobe Acrobat, Excel, Word etc.). The files are still associated correctly and re-associating them didn't solve the problem. I also deleted the icon cache and let Windows rebuild it, but that didn't help either.

Does anybody have an idea?

:)

berliner77, Jul 28, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jul 28, 2017
  3. PppRR Win User
    Cannot open editing option in file explorer and slow to open

The control panel, settings, view options, icons on type of documents in folders are all missing - or not working - nothing happens when you click or retrieves emply folders. And, file explorer takes ages to retrieve any documents. Tried few suggestions
    and eliminating quick view but problem persists.

Missing control panel, view options, icons and non respondent file explorer- Original Title

PppRR, Jul 28, 2017
  4. Missing file type icons in Explorer

Hi berliner77. Welcome to the TenForums @berliner77

Could be a wild guess solution. Try going in the Apps box in Settings. Then defaults apps and at the bottom of the Right hand side "Set defaults by app". Try setting one to be the default, say Adobe, allow it to take all the extensions associated to Adobe.

Now I saw your comment that the defaults are associating correctly. My wild guess is that by using this process it will reassign the proper icon.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  5. Thank you for the comment, I tried it and it didn't work. Moreover, when I click on Adobe Acrobat and then on "Choose defaults for this program", the new window shows the extensions with blank icons (see attached screenshot).

Missing file type icons in Explorer [​IMG]

berliner77, Jul 29, 2017
  6. Does this happen in other user ids?

Could you create a standard user and see if it has the same issue?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try this free program and post a screenshot like this

Missing file type icons in Explorer [​IMG]

for a couple of different examples.

dalchina, Jul 29, 2017
  8. Missing file type icons in Explorer

Okay, I found out why and how that happened. The defaulticon values in the registry don't point to folders under %ProgramFiles% but, for whatever reasons, to the installer folder in %windir%. I have a small SSD and moved that folder to a different drive and linked it back as a junction. Because of Creators Update, the junction was lost. I restored it and everything works well now.

berliner77, Jul 29, 2017
  9. Great find. Thanks for sharing. If you wouldn't mind marking thread solved.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Missing file type icons in Explorer

1. Missing file type icons in Explorer - Similar Threads - Missing file type

2. File explorer home icon and quick access missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer home icon and quick access missing: Hi Microsoft,Encounter a few problems on file explorer after the recent Windows 11 22H2 update. Please advice on the solution. Thanks.1. Home icon missing dropdown menu that showing the quick access 2. Quick access shortcut are placing in the middle section rather than hiding...
  3. File explorer home icon and quick access missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer home icon and quick access missing: Hi Microsoft,Encounter a few problems on file explorer after the recent Windows 11 22H2 update. Please advice on the solution. Thanks.1. Home icon missing dropdown menu that showing the quick access 2. Quick access shortcut are placing in the middle section rather than hiding...
  4. The file icon displayed by dragging any type of file in the win11 file explorer is missing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The file icon displayed by dragging any type of file in the win11 file explorer is missing...: When I open the file explorer and drag any type of file, there is a high probability that a blank icon will appear in the preview image of this file. The icon is missing or there is an icon but the background of the icon is white instead of the transparent state under the...
  5. The file icon displayed by dragging any type of file in the win11 file explorer is missing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The file icon displayed by dragging any type of file in the win11 file explorer is missing...: When I open the file explorer and drag any type of file, there is a high probability that a blank icon will appear in the preview image of this file. The icon is missing or there is an icon but the background of the icon is white instead of the transparent state under the...
  6. Missing icon in File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icon in File Explorer search bar: I'm at my wits' end here - for the longest time I've had this problem where there's a square in place of the magnifier icon in the search bar in File Explorer. There's barely any threads about this bug online - the only one I found mentioned resetting default font...
  7. File types icons for Windows Explorer as in VS Code

in Windows 10 Customization
    File types icons for Windows Explorer as in VS Code: Is there something similar to VS Code's icons vscode icons, seti icons, Material UI icons to install for Windows Explorer?Essentially, I want icons on Windows Explorer to depict file types e.g., a .js file, a .py file, etc. so that it would be visually easier to glance...
  8. Icons on Desktop, Taskbar and File Explorer are missing or disappeared.

Icons on Desktop, Taskbar and File Explorer are missing or disappeared.: When I turn the computer on this morning, and looked what happened to this, Icons on desktop, taskbar and file explorer are gone. Also, I cannot open the properties for any file on the computer. This gives me a headache and frustrated.LOOK AT THIS PICTUREFirst, Is there's a...
  9. Windows 10 Icons Missing and File Explorer broken

Windows 10 Icons Missing and File Explorer broken: My desktop show only the labels with no icons. Start menu and Taskbar icons is fine. The file explorer is also broken. But it only happens on my first account [ATTACH] [ATTACH] What i just do is installed Winaero tweakers to try aero lite, but i don't like it and disabling...
  10. Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon images missing in dekstop and file explorer: My computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop. Specs: i7 6700HQ @ 2.6GHz (Turbo to 3.5), GeForce GTX 960M 4GB, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD. I had to force a log-off after a game (Tom Clancy's The Division) got locked up. I was able to use Ctrl-Alt-Del instead of holding down the power...