Windows 10: Missing files after resetting OS

Discus and support Missing files after resetting OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every year I go through the process of reinstalling Windows to keep things fresh. After backing everything up to an external drive, things go off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mydragonsfly Fontaine, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Missing files after resetting OS

Every year I go through the process of reinstalling Windows to keep things fresh. After backing everything up to an external drive, things go off without a hitch and all is good. This time however I decided to simply reset windows, doing so would accomplish what I wanted, and I wouldn't have to wait to back everything up.

It had been a while since I had updated so installed the latest updates, just to keep everything current.

Settings>Recovery>Reset This PC>Keep Files

Now, here's where things were, different. I was told to use my install media on a USB drive where the apps that will be removed prompt would usually come up. Confused, I decided to restart the laptop holding down the shift key and access the menu there, no beans.

Assuming Microsoft changed things, I went along with the installer and after a while had signed into my new desktop. It was clean as I had expected, and looking at the space used on my drive, everything seemed in order and nothing was deleted. I went to the windows.old folder and find the opposite had happened.

My desktop, documents, and pictures are all gone. Only my downloads, music, and videos folders made it through.

I ran Easeus and all it recovered was a bunch of junk. Meaningless javascript files, pictures whose png, and jpg formats were not supported, and various other unusable files were all that came up.

Is there anything at all I can do?

:)

Mydragonsfly Fontaine, Feb 16, 2019
  2. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Feb 16, 2019
  3. Burning Files To cdr

I tried to drag a .txt file to the burn list, as suggested above, but it will not drop in. I get a message "+add to burn list" but I cannot get it to drop into the burn list. Is there another step I am missing?

CathleenBaker, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Missing files after resetting OS

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Missing files after resetting OS

1. Missing files after resetting OS - Similar Threads - Missing files resetting

2. Missing files on ssd after factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing files on ssd after factory reset: I factory reset my desktop because I was having some trouble with my drives. When I performed the reset, I selected remove everything, but when I checked disk management, my SSD still shows 476 GB used. Any help as to why this might be occurring would be greatly appreciated....
  3. Missing files on ssd after factory reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing files on ssd after factory reset: I factory reset my desktop because I was having some trouble with my drives. When I performed the reset, I selected remove everything, but when I checked disk management, my SSD still shows 476 GB used. Any help as to why this might be occurring would be greatly appreciated....
  4. Missing files on ssd after factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Store missing after reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Store missing after reset: System reset was executed to my PC due to malfunction. It was successful and now Im facing a new problem. The MS Store went missing and no trace in my PC. I want to download all the apps that I have before but I cant. I dont want to reset again so please help me....
  6. store is missing after reset

store is missing after reset: I just reset my PC and now I need to download apps from MS Store but I cant find it anywhere. I tried the powershell command and and wsreset command and it is still not coming up. How can I get the MS Store back to my device. I signed in with my MS account....
  7. Drives are missing after reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drives are missing after reset: i just reset my computer, windows 10, and now if i open disk management all my drives are missing it only shows blank table, when i open file explorer in "this PC" i still can see and browse drive c: but my drive d: is still missing.Please help...
  8. Drives are missing after reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives are missing after reset: i just reset my computer, windows 10, and now if i open disk management all my drives are missing it only shows blank table, when i open file explorer in "this PC" i still can see and browse drive c: but my drive d: is still missing.Please help...
  9. Drives are missing after reset

10. Missing document after OS reset

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Missing document after OS reset: Hi all My first post here, and I'd really appreciate your help. My wife told me that when she logged on into her account yesterday, she found that everything that was on her desktop had disappeared. This came as the last straw - I had been battling with poor...