Windows 10: Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10

Discus and support Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, So my buddy installed Windows 10 and now one of his hard drives simply will not show up. It's listed in device manager but not in explorer. He... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Traijan, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10

Hi,
    So my buddy installed Windows 10 and now one of his hard drives simply will not show up.

It's listed in device manager but not in explorer. He had Vista installed and made a clean install of 10.

Any clues how he should go about getting the drive to show up without having to format it or do something that will lose the data on it as he backed up his whole computer to that drive before installing W10 on his primary HDD.

Thanks

:)

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015

2. Win10 bootup

I have two hard drives with win 10 installed on both. The problem is after the installation of win 10 on the second hard drive only one hard drive is available on bootup. How can I rectify this please? I can access the other hard drive through Startup ans
    Rcovery but cumbersome and have to restart.

Mahy Thanks

Eddie Parker

eddieparker-38, Jul 12, 2015
  3. How to recover the data from a bitlocker encrypted hard drive?

My removable hard drive has two sections, one of the section is encrypted with bit-locker. then i use the other empty section as a window 10 start up drive to install win 10 on my computer. After that, i found the encrypted section is missing and can't find
    the data on it. I have kept the "bit locker recovery key", can i recover my data on the drive?

Yunfei_Zhao, Jul 12, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Try a restart first.

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  5. Traijan Win User
    Yup, he's restarted a couple times now

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Does it show up in Disk Management?

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  7. Traijan Win User
    Yes it's showing up in disk management

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Make sure you've got all updates run with none pending and reboot again.

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  9. Traijan Win User
    Okay, all updates done and rebooted. Still shows up in disk management and in device manager but not anywhere else that would make it usable.

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Can you open the drive from within Disk Management?
    Does the drive have a letter assigned to it?

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  11. Traijan Win User
    No, in disk management it does not have a letter assigned to the drive.

He can right click it and see the properties that show used space and space available.

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Ah! Give it a letter then it'll show up in Explorer!

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  13. Traijan Win User

Thanks every so much, indeed that was it and it's now showing up.

Traijan, Jul 12, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    Good to hear!
    Now rescue those files before something else goes haywire! *Wink

Edwin, Jul 12, 2015
  15. Hi I have the same problem but assigning a drive letter doesn't solve the problem permanently. After restart it disappears again and I have to assign a letter every time. I am attaching my disk management screen shot where drive "Life" is having the problem. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10 [​IMG]

calicratis19, Mar 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10 - Similar Threads - Missing Hard drive

2. Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading to Win 10 after hard drive failure: My computer died right after Christmas. I bought a used one from a local business with Windows 7 professional installed. I would like to upgrade to Win 10 but can't get any info from my old computer. Help??...
  3. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  4. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  5. Hard Drive Failure after WIN 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive Failure after WIN 10 Update: Hardware Test Scan resulted in failure and a code: Q4U7HT-7SSAMR-XD7WLK60RR03I tried to put the code in HP but it said it wasn't valid. hp.com/g/techcenter/PcDiagsUpdate is still attempting to install a June security update that it cannot install. PC freezes and locks and...
  6. hard drive/ Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive/ Win 10: I have an HP touch screen laptop with a bad hard drive and wanted to install a hard drive froma Toshiba with problems but a good hard drive. I want to remove everything that has to do with Toshiba from the hard drive and load Windows 10. I had tried the Toshiba hard drive and...
  7. Missing hard drive after win 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing hard drive after win 10 install: I recently installed windows 10 on a computer as a dual boot with windows 7. In win 7 there were 2 hard drives and 3 optical with all being accessible. I partitioned the C drive and installed 10 successfully. Win 7 still sees all drives as previously. I have just noticed...
  8. install Win 10 on external hard drive

install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  9. install Win 10 on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    install Win 10 on external hard drive: Hello, I wonder if there is a chance to install Win 10 on external hard drive (USB 3.0 ) I tryied win to usb but the free ver doesnt support the latest windown 10 1089 . Thanks in advance 131215
  10. installing Win 10 on new hard drive

installing Win 10 on new hard drive: Hi I have a peculiar problem. recently my Lenovo G50-80 crashed. When inserting a bootable Win 10 repair/recovery flash drive, it would not boot from it even though boot order was changed accordingly in BIOS. I eventually resorted to removing the hdd, after which the...