Windows 10: Missing hard drive

Discus and support Missing hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I posted several days ago of my stupidity when I blew away the partitions on my physical "D:" drive by mistake, taking out about 20 years of family... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by brucemc777, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Missing hard drive

I posted several days ago of my stupidity when I blew away the partitions on my physical "D:" drive by mistake, taking out about 20 years of family photos with very little backup.

Since that time I have tried various recovery tools, but suspect I am just slinging mud at a wall. Though Easeus's data recovery software saw a lost drive, the fast mode didn't see files nor a partition to restore; I have yet to run the deep scan.

Why I post now is I realize I don't know the best course and I am looking for direction. Though the bios sees the physical "D:" drive (Hitachi, which is seen as the Master) on boot, Windows only sees the "C:" drive (Western Digital, I believe, seen by bios as the slave. It is this condition that causes me to further wonder if I could have confused the two at any point. The "D:" drive is seen by some of the recovery programs I have tried, but the 935GB of space is seen as unallocated). I do not wish to write anything to the "D:" drive such as even a new partition table, but I wonder if I should I be it in Windows Explorer. I suspect not, but in the event I am missing a crucial step or that this piece of information might mean something to those knowledgeable, I thought it best to ask. A little late, but finally taking things slow.

If there is any advice of the best path by which to proceed, especially if we simply start with the fact that I don't know what I am doing, I obviously blew away the partition table(s), I could have even formatted that drive and I just need some specific guidance. I just keep creating boot disks/USBs with assorted products and hoping, which is not getting me anywhere.

Thank-you for your consideration; I need help.

P.S.: I am about to entirely physically disconnect the Hitachi drive. This will prevent any possibility of additional mistakes, verify that when I reinstalled W10 it went on the drive I thought I was targeting, and force a little breather.

Edit: I find that I DID do some overwriting to the Hitachi drive in my confusion of drive assignments and wrote the new OS to it, which also accounts for why the allocated block was not closer to the full 1TB. That drive is removed and I am writing the OS to the other drive at this time. I suspect my course at this point is to finish establishing the OS on the other drive then reinstall the 1TB drive, try to make certain that the drive the system boots from is the one I am setting up now and then run a "deep" data recovery scan on the 1TB drive. Anyone wanting to advise would be welcome-

:)

brucemc777, Dec 9, 2015

2. Missing Hard Drive

Press Windows key + R

Type: appwiz.cpl

Hit Enter

Click View installed updates

See if KB4074588 is installed or not.

If it is, right click it then uninstall it.

See if your drive starts working.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 9, 2015
  3. Missing Hard Drive

screenshot uploaded

DanCrumpler, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

Missing hard drive

1. Missing hard drive - Similar Threads - Missing hard drive

2. Missing Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Hard Drive.: i have a hard drive on my PC which i can't see. This happened when i installed windows 11 from scratch. I have moved the disc to my other PC which is still Windows 10 but i can't see it on there either....
  3. Missing Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Hard Drive.: i have a hard drive on my PC which i can't see. This happened when i installed windows 11 from scratch. I have moved the disc to my other PC which is still Windows 10 but i can't see it on there either....
  4. Missing hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing hard drive: I am running Windows 10 and when I booted up this morning, one of my internal drives I is not listed in configuration. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-hard-drive/7006fa88-6a3f-4adc-b19a-e6e75ee79502
  5. Missing hard drive

Missing hard drive: I have 3 internal hard drives on my Windows 10 pc. They are C, G, and I. When I booted up this morning, drive I was missing. I did a restore to an earlier date, but it is still missing. Only now, system say apps Skype, iTunes, and Spotify will not work. How can I fix this?...
  6. Missing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing internal hard drive: 1. I had my computer upgrade with my assure plan in the Microsoft store. We replaced the primary drive with a SSD hard drive and used the original internal 1 TB HD as the data drive. Recently my computer went through a windows 10 update and I lot the internal HD in my disk...
  7. missing hard drives

missing hard drives: I have just got a pc from work and I installed a fresh load of windows 10 but the 3 extra hard drives installed cant be found I have tried everything cant get windows to see them as you can see bios knows they are there but in manager not seen also in my...
  8. Missing Hard drive

Missing Hard drive: So I was resetting my computer to remove files and apps ect. and after it reset it no longer shows that I have a hard drive anymore and it only shows I have my ssd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-hard-drive/cf4e79de-9314-4b4a-8496-f382533397df"
  9. missing hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    missing hard drive: how to fix missing hard drive on windows 10 in my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-hard-drive/afac03cb-d78c-4a02-bea4-60379ecf0b64
  10. missing hard drive

missing hard drive: I just installed a new 4 tb hard drive. During that process I had a thumb drive plugged in that just finished installing windows 10. So after I initialized the hard drive an gave it a letter. I then removed my thumb drive an now my 4 tb hard drive has disappeared an I can no...