Windows 10: Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

Discus and support Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I have added a new apps shortcut in Start menu via shell:AppsFolder->Desktop Shortcut->Start menu shortcut, but I have 2 issues: 1 - shortcut in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tomáš Peťovský HMBA, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

Hi

I have added a new apps shortcut in Start menu via shell:AppsFolder->Desktop Shortcut->Start menu shortcut, but I have 2 issues:

1 - shortcut in menu does not show the app icon

2- app does not appear in search result

2.1 - i have deleted an rebuild the search index

2.2 - Dell folder is set to: Allow files in this folder have contents indexed in addition to file properties

Any clues?

Thanx

:)

Tomáš Peťovský HMBA, Dec 9, 2020
  2. mngerhold Win User

Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

My first thought was 'why does that need a registry key - surely one just adds a shortcut...?' So I tried that with a sc to a vbs script I use, and simply added it to the start menu folder at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, like so:

Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu [​IMG]

Then I rt-click on that (in the Start menu program list) and select 'Pin to Start':

Hey presto! (if 'Start' as opposed to the 'Start menu' was what you wanted). For some reason, it appears sc's to scripts (well, vbs at least) cannot be added to 'Start' in one step, as can sc's to executables. But then I tried with a sc to a Powershell script (.psi) and it simply opened in Notepad (or NP++), my default action. So I had to change the default action for a .ps1 to 'run Powershell', which meant finding the .exe down in Windows\System32\Windows Powershell, after which the sc worked from either the Start program list or 'Start'.

There may be a way to create a sc to a .PS1 that runs without making that the default action for all .PS1 files, but I haven't managed that.
    <update>: create a sc to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -file your.ps1 and that should execute regardless of default .ps1 behaviour.

I've no idea if this is any help to you, but I've learnt something! Martin

PS duh! I realise you want to add it to the very LHS icons, in which case I don't know, and can't see how from what I've read so far.

mngerhold, Dec 9, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Dec 9, 2020
  4. duceduc Win User

Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

I have created a powershell script for a custom shutdown. Is it possible to add the shortcut icon to the start menu. See image.

duceduc, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

1. Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Missing icon added

2. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  3. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  4. start menu apps icon are missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu apps icon are missing: some of my start menu app icons are missing after the recent update . I don't know how to resolve it . please help me with that. [IMG][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-apps-icon-are-missing/a6c8ce29-e521-453e-b9c4-e630c8a0c195
  5. Windows Apps missing icons in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Apps missing icons in start menu: [ATTACH] Why do Windows Apps suddenly show like this with missing icons? https://preview.redd.it/udepkc1kr8s51.png?width=772&format=png&auto=webp&s=53044fb2c485624b9c57c3f453db24d30b8114df submitted by /u/P4trickP [link] [comments]...
  6. Adding shortcut icon to the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding shortcut icon to the start menu: I have created a powershell script for a custom shutdown. Is it possible to add the shortcut icon to the start menu. See image. [img] 159199
  7. Windows apps icon missing in start menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows apps icon missing in start menu: I recently took ownership of WindowsApps folder and changed permissions of that folder for some reason but then all the windows apps stopped opening as if something was force-closing it. I somehow fixed that problem but one problem remains; all the default windows apps' icons...
  8. Missing shortcut on Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shortcut on Start menu: Hi There, So I have a question if is ok. I put a folder on start menu : [img] (The "Downloads" Folder) If I click on it, this happens : [img] What should I do ? 57943
  9. Start menu icons/apps missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons/apps missing: Hi guys, Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved. The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu. Thanks, Gabriel. [img] 40753
  10. Adding youtube as an icon app in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding youtube as an icon app in the start menu: Hello. I have a new 2-1 table computer, which my kid is using. I would like to have youtube as an large icon in start menu (to pin it etc..). Is it possible (I assume that google is not good friend of Microsoft ...) Cheers 71483