Windows 10: Missing icons in 2 places for devices

Discus and support Missing icons in 2 places for devices in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Never seen this before in other OS, just noticed when i hook up my external WD Ultra Passport no icon shows in Devices and Printers just square white... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jds63, Aug 17, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

Missing icons in 2 places for devices

Never seen this before in other OS, just noticed when i hook up my external WD Ultra Passport no icon shows in Devices and Printers just square white icon, same happens in notification area under Safely Remove. Also in Devices and Printers my Epson Printer no longer shows as a Printer Icon but a Folder icon with name of the printer. Maybe with printer it is driver or software related to Windows 10, but both of these devices never had this happen in Windows 8.1.

Both devices work properly and is seen in Device manager correctly.

Missing icons in 2 places for devices [​IMG]

:)

jds63, Aug 17, 2015

2. ALL FOLDER ICONS REPLACED to the DEFAULT VALUE after copy to an other place

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Folder’s ICON changed after copy/paste to the ICON Default value (new test results):

Drag a Folder from a place to another in the same PC Device (e.g. Drive C to Drive C):

The Folder Icon stays unchanged

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Devices in the same PC (e.g. Drive C to Drive D):
    The Folder Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Devices : one PC internal (e.g. Drive C)
    to one PC external (e.g. USB Drive F) : The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Drag a Folder from a place to another between 2 Folders of the same external Hard Disk (e.g. Drive H Seagate Expansion) : The Folder's Icon stays unchanged

Copy & Paste a Folder from a place to another between 2 Folders of the same external Hard Disk (e.g. Drive H Seagate Expansion) : The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

This case (Copy & Paste) from a place to another occurs for all tested cases (irrespective to the type of the origin and destination): The Folder's Icon changes to the DEFAULT value.

Regards,

MEIR

meireinschenk, Aug 17, 2015
  3. WIndows Fast Track build 10537 - Start Menu Icons missing

Sorry, it is 10547, not 10537.

I followed both suggestions and the icons graphics are still missing, but the place cards are still there.

mesteele101, Aug 17, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Not idea of me wanting or not wanting it there in notification area, that part i know how to do, does not change lose of icon you see in first picture i posted in my post and in the Device and Printers the drive icon is missing too.

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  5. sn00ker Win User
    Yeah I just caught that lol I was looking at your pic for taskbar

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Thanks anyway that just hide safely remove icon

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  7. sn00ker Win User
    I just try my external usb drive and I can see it okay . Actually mine isn't a brand . What I bought was an empty external usb enclosure and add what ever drive I want . The first one on the left is it

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

Wondering which brand,thanks.

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  9. sn00ker Win User
    Do you use a usb mouse ? I was thinking to try refreshing your usb in the Devise manager by refreshing I mean go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers expand it and delete what ever is listed in there if you can, you might not be able to use your mouse or keyboard if its usb but by deleting that area it will refresh the usb ports and it might do the trick . If your able to delete everything in there restart the computer afterwards when windows loads up again it will reload all the usb stuff fresh again

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    One process i was thinking about doing also. Seems i finally got them back by removing the device in Device and Printer and letting them redetect them again once plugged in external or turned on for printer, seemed to work best for external drive then the printer. Printer icon is default windows one, not one use to see in Windows 8.1 which was an image of exact printer. Now i believe this icon for printer comes from the software driver.

All in all printer always worked fine as just happen to notice it now ans printer has 2 flash card drives which were also blank white icons in This PC in explorer. Weird thing is when i run diagnostics on printer it says it is on a USB 3.0 port and be best to be on USB 2.0 as it's required by this printer being USB 2.0, weird part is, it is on a USB 2.0 port, only the USB external Drive is on a USB 3.0 port.

Driver issue with Epson since they have not updated since 2013, but say it is fine with Windows 10 and printer works fine so does USB External drive, pics below.

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  11. sn00ker Win User
    Glad you got it fixed . I'm sure there going to be fixes for things like this from Microsoft and from the manufacturers once they all get the drivers updated . In the mean time we just have to wait it out

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Thank you, thank you for helping. Yes, i know this is probably the issue new OS. When i see anything i try myself to fix it and post here for any help i can receive. And they complained about Windows 8.1 then too *Think

jds63, Aug 17, 2015
  13. sn00ker Win User

You're welcome *Smile ... That's what so great about the internet ... People helping people when they can and forum sites ...

sn00ker, Aug 17, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Indeed, google is one of my best friends on that subject too(but did not help me this time *Sleepy ) and i like helping others here.

jds63, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing icons in 2 places for devices - Similar Threads - Missing icons places

2. Bluetooth icon missing from device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth icon missing from device manager: Bluetooth has suddenly stopped working on my Windows 11 all in one Hp desktop. The troubleshoot gives me the following message:I have tried reinstalling the driver but it does not work either. In the device manager, I am not getting the Bluetooth option:I have also tried...
  3. Bluetooth icon missing from device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth icon missing from device manager: Bluetooth has suddenly stopped working on my Windows 11 all in one Hp desktop. The troubleshoot gives me the following message:I have tried reinstalling the driver but it does not work either. In the device manager, I am not getting the Bluetooth option:I have also tried...
  4. Newspaper icon in place of weather icon.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newspaper icon in place of weather icon.: In my pc i am getting a newspaper icon on startup and not weather icon. Pls help me get the weather icon in place of the news paper lie thing just after start up. After clicking on the newspaper like icon on the taskbar it changes to weather icon but it does not change to...
  5. Newspaper icon in place of weather icon.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newspaper icon in place of weather icon.: In my pc i am getting a newspaper icon on startup and not weather icon. Pls help me get the weather icon in place of the news paper lie thing just after start up. After clicking on the newspaper like icon on the taskbar it changes to weather icon but it does not change to...
  6. Newspaper icon in place of weather icon.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Desktop icons switched places

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons switched places: so for some reason my desktop icons just switched places and now there is a vertical space on the bottom of my screen I can't pace anything in (and no it's not my taskbar ;) ). Ow and one more thing, the browser shortcuts like Spotify.com .... well fsr the icons just shrank...
  8. 2:3 area of the desktop where i can't place any icons?

2:3 area of the desktop where i can't place any icons?: Decided to organise my desktop in a neater fashion today, but right at the center bottom of my screen there's an area which is 3 icons wide and 2 icons high where i can neither place icons, nor right click to get desktop options to appear. I had a custom wallpaper app...
  9. Recent places missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent places missing: Hi - there are various threads concerning this, but nothing has been done. My productivity has crashed with WIndows 10, and a lot is to do with the file opening and saving. I can pin recent folders to the file open widow, which helps, but when saving files this can't be...
  10. Locking Icons Into Place

Locking Icons Into Place: Hello Community, I'm a computer teacher at a private elementary school, and I have students who move icons around, delete some, or add others. Most of the time it's harmless, however, it can slow down class when the next student to use one of those computers can't find...