Windows 10: Missing icons in programs and features and changing names

Discus and support Missing icons in programs and features and changing names in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Some of my programs icons are missing in programs and features. They are also missing from the start menu. How do I get them back again? I also want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Cerawy Win User

Missing icons in programs and features and changing names

Some of my programs icons are missing in programs and features. They are also missing from the start menu. How do I get them back again?

I also want to change the name of some of the programs installed on my computer.

Solution: right click on a program in the start menu that has its icon missing. Click properties, click change icon, select the correct icon and click apply. As for changing the names of installed programs, the portable version of CCleaner does this.

As for bringing back the missing icons in programs and features, open cmd and type sfc /scannow. It will scan the system files and bring back the missing icons. Sometimes you have to run it a few times, but it works.

:)

Cerawy, Sep 3, 2017

2. Missing a software in 'Programs and Features'

Check if the program for TurboPC has a dedicated uninstaller. Click Start > All Apps > TurboPC

If that not, use Revouninstaller to remove it.

You can find Revo Uninstaller at Revo Uninstaller (freeware). Here’s a quick look at how to use Revo uninstaller.

Launch Revo uninstaller after installing, select the program you want to uninstall or search for it using the built in search tool.

Click the Uninstall button on the toolbar

This will start the uninstallation wizard for the particular program you selected. Revo uninstaller will go through a series of steps which include creating a system restore point, creating a backup of your Windows registry.

Then analyze the program and run its default uninstaller, click Yes when you see the above dialog. After the uninstall is completed, you have a choice of scanning modes to select from. What this will do is let you scan for any left over files, folders and
    registry items from that particular program. Safe looks in the usual places, moderate in more advanced locations while Advanced does a thorough search throughout the entire computer. After selecting your choice, (I went with Advanced), click Scan.

After the scan is complete, you will see a list of registry entries left behind by the program, select them then click Finish to thoroughly remove the program from your system.

The default uninstaller should work for most persons, but for those troublesome programs, the Force Uninstall feature and advanced scanning options will give you more control.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 3, 2017
  3. JanetLuk Win User
    Missing a software in 'Programs and Features'

I have installed TurboPC EX2. After the upgrade of Windows 10 recenly, I would like to unstall this program. However when I checked 'programs and features' under the control panel, I could not find the name of the program. What should I do?

JanetLuk, Sep 3, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

1. Make copies of the real shortcuts, rename them then hide the originals.

Missing icons in programs and features and changing names [​IMG]

2. Right click the shortcut/Properties/Change Icon/Browse to the program's .exe

Edwin, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Cerawy Win User
    Thanks, that brought back the icons from my programs in my start menu, but it didn't work for the programs installed in my control panel.

Cerawy, Sep 4, 2017
  6. Cerawy Win User
    CCleaner basically did the job of changing the names, sadly I cannot use the program because it conflicts with steam games. So any other options/programs are appriciated.

Cerawy, Sep 12, 2017
  7. Cerawy Win User
    Still have a problem.

Should also mention that the icons from my programs in the control panel still disappears randomly sometimes.

Cerawy, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Cerawy Win User

Well i got back the nvidia icon by installing the latest nvidia drivers, but from my experience, the icon will sooner or later disappear from the control panel again.

Cerawy, Feb 6, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ccleaner has never 'changed the name' of any of the installed programs on my PC.
    To which cleaner option do you attribute what you're seeing?

Nor has it ever affected my control panel.

I find it hard to imagine what you see happening. Screenshot maybe?

You can specify what is to be excluded if it is doing something you don't want:

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  10. Cerawy Win User
    Sorry but i dont understand what you mean?

Cerawy, Feb 6, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    Please could you explain which function or setting or use of ccleaner causes your program names to change.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  12. Cerawy Win User
    Oh, i basically open ccleaner, click on tools, and then double click on the program i wish to give a proper name.

Why?

Cerawy, Feb 7, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Thanks for the clarification. I've never used that or needed it, so didn't know about it. It seems that only renames the program in the uninstall list,

Manage installed Software CCleaner Cloud Support
    CCleaner.com - Uninstalling programs

dalchina, Feb 7, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    I don't use Steam so I don't know why it having it installed would interfere but you don't need to install CCleaner.

You can use the portable version - just stick the folder from the link below somewhere and run it (click on CCleaner64.exe) when you want. It will not interfere with anything when you aren't using it.

CCleaner - Portable

15. Cerawy Win User
    It's well known that ccleaner conflics with vac games on steam, see valves post.

I think its a bit inconvenient to install/uninstall ccleaner whenever i want to rename my programs.

That's why im looking for a better solution.

Cerawy, Feb 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing icons in programs and features and changing names - Similar Threads - Missing icons programs

2. How to change program name?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change program name?: So I know how to rename a file or shortcut, of course. But I want to change a program name so it appears how it I want it whenever its name comes up. For example, for Media Player Classic, when I choose "open with", it should say Media Player Classic, instead of MPC-HC x64,...
  3. Icon changing names for no reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon changing names for no reason: I was using my PC recently and had to go into "This PC" from Windows System in Start List. When i entered there were folders for Desktop and Documents but no downloads folder. Music , Pictures and Videos folders were there. At this stage i noticed Downloads had been renamed...
  4. Is there a program to change file names?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a program to change file names?: Hello, i have a large list of files (pictures and videos) with ":" in the file names. Unfortunately Windows doesn't want this, is there a linux program that can help here or do I have to do it by hand? Gibt es ein Programm zum ändern von Dateinamen?
  5. Changing dekstop icon names

Changing dekstop icon names: Alright so the question i'm about to ask will sound stupid, but for my OCD it's quite nerve racking/Important. I had to return my laptop to the shop so i decided to clean wipe my laptop. Which obviously resulted in me having to redownload my apps, but i was okay with this....
  6. email programs/features icons

email programs/features icons: None of my email accounts, Outlook, G-mail, Yahoo appear in any lists or on start menu. Should they be shown on start menu and in programs and features or somewhere on my pc. I can only open them via taskbar icons. But I think they should certainly be listed somewhere in...
  7. Program missing from Programs and Features

Program missing from Programs and Features: I want to uninstall iTunes but it isn't in the list of programs in Programs and Features. I have an icon for iTunes which opens the program successfully so I know it is installed. How do I uninstall it?...
  8. Missing Programs, Features and documents.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Missing Programs, Features and documents.: Hi All, I installed windows 10 around 1 month ago, and last week when I logged into my computer, ALL my files, programs etc. where missing. I managed to find them deep in the C:, users, name, Microsoft etc under recent items and put them all back into the correct...
  9. Lots of programs are missing from the Programs & Features list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lots of programs are missing from the Programs & Features list: Just noticed when I was about to upgrade one of my applications by starting to uninstall the current version that it wasn't no longer in the list of installed programs and lots of other programs are gone too. Did some Google searching for this problem and noticed I was far...
  10. Missing data from Programs and Features

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing data from Programs and Features: Some genius from Microsoft Office 365 support did something in my control panel having to do with mail setup and user accounts to try and fix my Office 365 install. <dident work BTW I found the solution on my own> After he did this almost every time I open Programs And...