Windows 10: Missing icons in Start Menu

Discus and support Missing icons in Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We use VMWare Dynamic Environment Manager to push our shortcuts to the user's Start Menu. This works fine for 99,9% but sometimes icons are just not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KevinMoonen, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Missing icons in Start Menu

We use VMWare Dynamic Environment Manager to push our shortcuts to the user's Start Menu. This works fine for 99,9% but sometimes icons are just not shown.

It is visible when navigating to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it is just not visible when clicking on the start button.

In the following example,BI tool FF is not showing, although it is present in the Start Menu folder.

Permissions are checked and the fault is not on the VMWare DEM side as the actual icon is created in explorer.

Missing icons in Start Menu 62d15f11-fd7b-40c7-be33-45875f1a1509?upload=true.png

Missing icons in Start Menu 7ffd945d-c094-4245-b29d-f2d071672d03?upload=true.png

:)

KevinMoonen, Aug 11, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 start menu missing icon

I followed all your troubleshooting steps and the icons are still missing. All of the missing icons in the start menu are all windows store apps. If you have any further suggestions on what to try, please let me know. Thanks.

William Kochevar, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Missing icons in Start Menu

Start Menu icons are missing

Hi Janes,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Which all Icons are missing on the Start menu?

• Are you able to find the Icons, when you click on
      All apps
      in the start menu?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to search for the Icons in the search bar, if the icon appears in the search list then
    right click on the icon and select Pin to Start and check if the icons appears in the start menu.

If the issue persists, Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Missing icons in Start Menu

1. Missing icons in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Missing icons Start

2. Icons missing in Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons missing in Windows Start Menu: For the last year or so, my icons in my start menu have been missing replaced with an IMG icon?. See below:Anyone know how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-missing-in-windows-start-menu/588d2030-7366-453c-9676-732fdff5d47b
  3. Icons missing in Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons missing in Windows Start Menu: For the last year or so, my icons in my start menu have been missing replaced with an IMG icon?. See below:Anyone know how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-missing-in-windows-start-menu/588d2030-7366-453c-9676-732fdff5d47b
  4. Start menu icons missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu icons missing: When I search for a program in the start menu, the icons for those programs appear broken, a paper icon. Only programs installed on external hard drive have this issue and not programs installed on C drive....
  5. Missing Windows Icons on Start Menu

Missing Windows Icons on Start Menu: For the past couple of months I've had this error and I've tried resetting the apps that were effected. I did the explorer reset and also deleted all of app local data for the icons. I have a Surfacebook two and I'm guessing this is one of the bugs from updating from one...
  6. Start Menu Icons - Missing

Start Menu Icons - Missing: Ok this is clearly an ongoing problem that Microsft are failing to address, but it needs to be aired. So for ages I have had an issue with or one or two menu icons vanishing from some programs, Google Chrome being the longest running one. But this question is not about any...
  7. Missing Start Menu icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Start Menu icons.: A lot of my Start Menu icons have recently disappeared. Both tiles and "All Apps" entries. The missing items range from games to Windows features. For example "Windows Accessories" only has three items listed and "Windows Administrative Tools" is missing altogether. The only...
  8. Customized Start Menu Icon Missing

Customized Start Menu Icon Missing: We have a customized start menu pushed out via group policy. Our machines are also built via Audit mode and sysprep so very "cookie cutter" We have one user who reported after an application crash they rebooted the machine and now one of the icons from the pushed start menu...
  9. Start Menu Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Missing: Hi, I searched for this problem in the forum but must of the replies apply to Windows or Desktop icons missing. I'm including an image which I think it explains the problem better As you can see, the menu on the right has three icons (circled in red) that are missing from...
  10. Start menu icons/apps missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu icons/apps missing: Hi guys, Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved. The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu. Thanks, Gabriel. [img] 40753