Windows 10: missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

Discus and support missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all please see the screenshot. [img] is there a way to fix this? thanks! 42338 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gil, Feb 27, 2016.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

Hi all

please see the screenshot.

missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar [​IMG]

is there a way to fix this?

thanks!

:)

2. John Ado Win User

System Tray Icons are messed up

Hi Stephan,

This could happen if your system icons and the icons that appear on your taskbar are not calibrated. Let's sort this out for you. Turn off all system icon on your task bar.
    Go to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Notification area > Select which icons appear on the taskbar
    > Turn off all options > Go back to Notification area > Turn system icons on or
    off. Restart your device afterwards.

Then, enable all system icons and choose which icons appear on your taskbar.

Let us know how it goes.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

John Ado, Feb 27, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    no snap icon win 10

Hi Tom, which snap icon are you referring to?

To add or remove icons to the Taskbar:

Right click the Taskbar and choose Taskbar Settings

Scroll to the bottom of that Settings Page

Click 'Turn System Icons on or off' - check there for that icon

Then go back and click 'Choose which icons appear on the Taskbar'

DaveM121, Feb 27, 2016
  4. missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

What are you trying to add to taskbar
    If Windows Explorer then just click the slider to on
    Same with all the other ones that are off.

Or are you having trouble getting them to click on and show icon on taskbar
    If something else please explain more so members on here can help you further

hTconeM9user, Feb 27, 2016
  5. GIL
    gil Win User
    Hi.

I'm referring to the missing icons as seen on the screenshot.
    I'm not trying to do anything.

Please, look at the left side of the screenshot. There are missing icons.

6. hTconeM9user, Feb 27, 2016
  7. GIL
    gil Win User
    sfc didn't find any issues.
    I think the repair install is too extreme for this kind of issue and it will remove all the tweaking that I have worked on and drivers that were not easy to install.

Are there any other, less extreme, resolutions?

8. missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

Try this if it does not work then an repair install is the only other way
    Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

hTconeM9user, Feb 28, 2016
  9. I have a couple that are just a square with no icon in them. Outlook and Office click to Run, and Windows Explorer.

alphanumeric, Feb 28, 2016
  10. GIL
    gil Win User
    Hi,

I went into C:\Users\\AppData\Local and made sure that there are no hidden items (system protected items are visible) however IconCache is missing from this folder even after reboot.... what's next?

11. Hi did you try what I posted the link to.

hTconeM9user, Feb 29, 2016
  12. GIL
    gil Win User
    That's what I'm getting:

Attempting to delete IconCache.db files...

SUCCESS: The process "explorer.exe" with PID 5312 has been terminated.
    SUCCESS: The process "explorer.exe" with PID 5508 has been terminated.
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache_16.db
    Access is denied.
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache_32.db
    Access is denied.
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache_idx.db
    Access is denied.

13. missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

Seems like you might have to do an in-place upgrade
    Link is in my signature
    Unless any other member can come up with anything

hTconeM9user, Feb 29, 2016
  14. For me, the actual ICON's in the Notifications area show correctly. It's only in settings where you turn them off or on, that the image is missing. I can live with it.

alphanumeric, Feb 29, 2016
  15. GIL
    gil Win User
    This one solved it... but I'll report after a day or two to see if it's truly the case.

• Type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER.
    • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    • In the Details pane, click the IconStreams registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • In the Details pane, click the PastIconsStream registry entry.
    • On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    • Exit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the Explorer.exe process. To do these, follow these steps:
      • Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
      • On the Processes tab in Task Manager, click the explorer.exe process, and then click End Process two times.
      • On the File menu, click New Tasks (Run), type explorer, and then click OK.
      • Exit Task Manager.
    5.Click Start, type Customize icons and then click Customize icons on the task bar.
    6. Click Turn system icons on or off, and then set Volume, Network, and Power System to On.
    7. Click OK, make sure that the behavior for Power, Network, and Volume are set correctly, and then click OK.

Thema:

missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar

1. missing icons on settings > choose icons to appear on taskbar - Similar Threads - missing icons settings

2. Taskbar icons missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons missing: When i open my windows after sleep the icons on my taskbar seem to be missing. after i click on space where my icons used to be that particular icon goes back to normal. Is this a bug? If yes i hope it gets fixed soon....
  3. Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing: Started up my laptop Windows icons and taskbar icons are not appearing and not its responding. Start menu won't open either.I already tried the Shift+ctrl+esc solution nothing happens. Please please help...
  4. Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing

Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing: Started up my laptop Windows icons and taskbar icons are not appearing and not its responding. Start menu won't open either.I already tried the Shift+ctrl+esc solution nothing happens. Please please help...
  5. Windows icons and taskbar icons not appearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Taskbar Icons missing.

Taskbar Icons missing.: I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. Some of my taskbar icons became invisible. When I say I tried all the fixes short of wiping my hard drive, I truly did. I downgraded back to Win 10. All was well for a few weeks until today. While using my laptop, some icons suddenly...
  7. Taskbar Icons missing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taskbar Icons missing.: I upgraded from Win 10 to Win 11. Some of my taskbar icons became invisible. When I say I tried all the fixes short of wiping my hard drive, I truly did. I downgraded back to Win 10. All was well for a few weeks until today. While using my laptop, some icons suddenly...
  8. Missing icons in taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icons in taskbar: I don't why, but I have at least, constantly, one icon missing in my taskbar. since some days I can't display all of them with the settings. Currently, the sound icon is missing. Any idea? https://i.imgur.com/vgclbaR.png The white part on the screenshot is disappearing too...
  9. No taskbar, no icons appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    No taskbar, no icons appearing: I can't get into the settings to factory reset my computer. I use windows buttom + i. It never loads. I already tried going into powershell and copy and pasting what's normally pasted into there. It never finishes loading up the command so I just close it after. Please Help...
  10. Missing Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Taskbar Icons: Whenever I run a Windows 10 specific app, such as Edge, Store, Weather, etc, It opens properly, but the icon on the taskbar is simply a square with a line under it if it is active and only the line shows when it is inactive. If I pin a Windows 10 app to the taskbar, there is...