Windows 10: Missing internal hard drive space

Discus and support Missing internal hard drive space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 500GB internal hard drive but only 1.45GB free space. The folder inside only occupying 95.5GB. There are no hidden files. Where is my 345.5GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Cara, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Cara Win User

Missing internal hard drive space

I have a 500GB internal hard drive but only 1.45GB free space. The folder inside only occupying 95.5GB. There are no hidden files. Where is my 345.5GB free space? Help needed desperately.

Missing internal hard drive space [​IMG]

:)

2. BulldogXX Win User

where should I put my pictures that I am moving back to the PC files from my external storage?

Storing pictures on an internal hard drive does not in any way slow the performance of a computer.

If you're running out of space on your internal hard drive then you might want to move some pictures to an external hard drive. Otherwise, the mere presence of pictures on your internal hard drive does not affect its performance.

BulldogXX, Oct 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Internals and Diagnosis for Systems Problems

I need more space for internal hard drive.

saifulanuar, Oct 27, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Can you run WinDirStat or Treesize against that drive and post a screen capture here, so we can see the disk layout? If you run WinDirStat with elevated privileges (right click the .exe file, then select "Run as administrator..." from the pop-up menu) it will tell use more about what's going on there.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: here's an example screencap from WinDirStat for my C: drive

EdTittel, Oct 27, 2016
  5. Cara Win User
    thank you very much for your reply. WindowsImageBackup occupying the space. Can I delete it? How should I delete it?

6. RolandJS Win User
    Why are your WindowsImageBackup images on your hard-drive? Such images should be only saved and stored onto reliable external media

RolandJS, Oct 27, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    From the name 'New volume (FMissing internal hard drive space :)' this would appear to be a separate internal drive and not the same physical disk as the Windows system (C: ?) being backed up. Nearly as safe (but probably less convenient in an emergency) as using an external drive.

Yes, you can delete it (just use File Explorer) but then you won't have a System Image to restore if your Windows drive ever failed and had to be replaced.

It appears you have set up your 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' to back up to a second drive (FMissing internal hard drive space :). You also appear to have ticked the 'include system image' option. I would suggest you don't include a system image in future. Rather you should invest in an external USB HDD and backup just the system image to that. You can continue backing up just the documents and folders to F: if you wish.

You may also wish to look for a less temperamental and more reliable way to make system images than the Microsoft one. Macrium Reflect is widely respected on these boards.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...p-restore.html

8. EdTittel Win User

Type backup into Cortana/search box, click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7), then click on Manage Space as shown here:

That will show you your backups, and give you the option of pruning them. Relocating them to an external drive is never a bad idea, because it makes backups easier to mount and access on another PC (which is what you may want to do if the PC you're backing up goes south).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 28, 2016
  9. Cara Win User
    Going to backup files to my external hard drive. Thank you guys so much. Really appreciate the help.

Cara, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing internal hard drive space - Similar Threads - Missing internal hard

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. Internal hard drive recognized but not showing any accessible space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal hard drive recognized but not showing any accessible space: I have 2 internal hard drives that ive been using for years, one 1Tb hard drive and a 4tb hard drive. I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my 4 tb hard due to a mother board upgrade and had no other choice but to format both drives. After reinstalling windows my second hard...
  4. Internal hard drive recognized but not showing any accessible space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal hard drive recognized but not showing any accessible space: I have 2 internal hard drives that ive been using for years, one 1Tb hard drive and a 4tb hard drive. I recently reinstalled windows 10 on my 4 tb hard due to a mother board upgrade and had no other choice but to format both drives. After reinstalling windows my second hard...
  5. Internal hard drive recognized but not showing any accessible space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  7. Missing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing internal hard drive: 1. I had my computer upgrade with my assure plan in the Microsoft store. We replaced the primary drive with a SSD hard drive and used the original internal 1 TB HD as the data drive. Recently my computer went through a windows 10 update and I lot the internal HD in my disk...
  8. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148
  9. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  10. Windows 10 - Missing hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Missing hard drive space: I have a new Lenovo laptop with only a few programs installed. Suddenly it is 20GB hard drive space missing. I have checked all folders, including hidden.I have deleted previous restoring points and reduced the space allocated for that. I can`t find where the 20GB has gone....