Windows 10: Missing MSR partition

Discus and support Missing MSR partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ubtree, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Ubtree Win User

Missing MSR partition

I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition (containing the operating system) has been created: there is no MSR partition (nor Recovery and System partitions). Is this a problem?

:)

Ubtree, Nov 12, 2020

2. Expanding EFI partition and moving MSR partition.

I would like to install Mac Os on this device. However I am limited by the size of the EFI partition. Mac Os requires at least 200mb. I have only 100mb. So I resized the Windows partition to leave 100mb unallocated. However I can't extend the EFI partition
    because there is a MSR partition in the way. https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

I know both the EFI and MSR partition and very much required partitions for proper functioning and it is better to not mess with it. But I have to get the EFI to 200mb. So how to move the MSR partition. I am pretty familiar with DISKPART or other GUI based
    partition managers.

https://puu.sh/rFbsz/e52c847706.png

Aadithye Nandakumar, Nov 12, 2020
  3. DR-525 Win User
    Issues with MSR Partition

Quick question, Greg: Does the setup.exe file on the Windows Install Media fix the EFI partition, create a new MSR partition, fix the GPT, etc? Sorry if that question was badly worded or incorrect.

DR-525, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Snoman112 Win User

Missing MSR partition

Help with MSR partition on secondary drives

I have two secondary hard drives that have MSR partitions on them. I want to use them in another setup but dont want conflict if possible because of partitions. I also dont want unneeded partitions. Both drives have partition one as MSR. Do I need to delete
    these, if so, do I extend my main partition? Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Snoman112, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Missing MSR partition

1. Missing MSR partition - Similar Threads - Missing MSR partition

2. Partitions are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions are missing: New Asus laptop. Had Win11 installed. 256G SSD from manufacturer. Also 1T SSD installed by Amazon reseller. ! month in and laptop starts freezing up, then the BSOD. Programs closing on their own, more BSOD. Sent to Asus. Because Amazon reseller installed what Asus said was...
  3. Partitions are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions are missing: New Asus laptop. Had Win11 installed. 256G SSD from manufacturer. Also 1T SSD installed by Amazon reseller. ! month in and laptop starts freezing up, then the BSOD. Programs closing on their own, more BSOD. Sent to Asus. Because Amazon reseller installed what Asus said was...
  4. After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After W7 to W10 upgrade - 2 MSR partitions: I recently helped someone upgrade their system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 remotely. They are now running Windows 10 1909. Looking a Disk Management there are now 2 MSR (OEM Partition). [img] I do not recall creating the EFI System partition or the MSR partitions when...
  5. Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I delete the MSR 128mb partition?: The title says it all. In addition, I have 1903 but this partition is on my hard disk from ages. it is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, and it is exactly 128mb. Can I safely delete it? 134772
  6. Issues with MSR Partition

Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  7. missing partition

missing partition: Hello everyone I have two partitions on my hard drive. The C:\ drive and a D:\ drive which is used primarily for data. After a recent Windows 10 update, the D drive has disappeared. It now shows in Disk Management as Disk 1, partition 5., a healthy OEM drive. It shows...
  8. How to move Windows 10 MSR partition

How to move Windows 10 MSR partition: I have a Chuwi dual boot tablet I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 that fails to upgrade to 1803 - not enough room. Online at Chuwi I found directions to successfully remove the android install and freed up 10.65 GB, but it is now before the Win 10 MSR partition that I can't move...
  9. How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?

How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition ?: How to set MSR partition in a prepared unallocated partition of a GPT partitioned disk ? display shown by a partition software; [img] After RE partition 128 MB unallocated partition is already prepared, as one can see its status is none How to set and specify it as...
  10. Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions: Hello, I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive. When I installed linux mint on a separate drive, Windows refused to boot. I did the usual linux chain of debugging like boot-repair and update-grub but I don't...