Windows 10: Missing objects in Browse for files or folders

Discus and support Missing objects in Browse for files or folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When creating a new desktop shortcut my window Browse for Files or Folders only displys my desktop and user account sub folder. How can I restore all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diatonic, Oct 3, 2016.

1. diatonic Win User

Missing objects in Browse for files or folders

When creating a new desktop shortcut my window Browse for Files or Folders only displys my desktop and user account sub folder. How can I restore all my objects to this window such as MyPC and disk drives. This works OK with Win 7 but not win 10.

:)

diatonic, Oct 3, 2016
  2. PBAPaul Win User

Shortcut Browse Not Showing Drives or Folders

File Explorer is showing all the drives, Network drives, my Home group etc. It seems to be working fine.

As far as I am aware, I have not changed any changes to the folder settings or used any tweaks.

Thanks to you and everyone who has responded. It is one of those silly things that occur and is not the end of the world but I would
    like to know what has happened!

PBAPaul, Oct 3, 2016
  3. Shortcut Browse Not Showing Drives or Folders

Just noticed this:

In the Create Shortcut dialog, type the drive-letter (say D:\), and click Browse... The drives magically appear in the Browse dialog.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 3, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Click on Cortana, and type, This PC

This PC is what they call it now instead of "My Computer" click on that, and see if all objects appear.

Probably whats happening right now, is you are seeing the new "Quick Access", which has frequently opened files and folders.

Hope that helps.

lmaneke, Oct 3, 2016
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Also, right click on This PC when you search in cortana, and it will give you an option to "pin to start menu or pin to taskbar"

You can also find This PC here
    Click Start
    Scroll down to Windows System "If you have version 1607
    This PC is found in the Windows System Folder

lmaneke, Oct 3, 2016
  6. diatonic Win User
    Thanks Imaneke for quick reply

Cortana does indeed show "This PC" as a file explorer window with all my objects such as disk drives etc.

I have pinned this to the Start menu but no change in the " desktop right click/new/ short cut window "browse for files or folders". Same folder window as also pinned to task bar.

This just shows Desktop with the heading "Desktop" and under this my account name with admin account name and small arrow. expand this but still no usable objects to drill down into.

diatonic, Oct 3, 2016
  7. lmaneke Win User
    Have you tried creating another user profile and test on a new profile?

Also, you could open an elevated command prompt and type sfc- scannow to check your system files for errors.

Are you using the Anniversary Update?

lmaneke, Oct 4, 2016
  8. pepanee Win User

Try this:

1) Right click Desktop -> New Shortcut
    2) Type: C:
    3) (Do not press Next) Press Browse...
    4) Then press Cancel
    5) Erase C:
    6) Press Browse...
    7) [Hopefully this worked] Assuming you see everything once again, go to your C: drive and make a shortcut to whatever folder.
    8) Press Next & Finish

9) Right click again on the Desktop -> New Shortcut
    10) (Cross your fingers here)
    11) Press Browse...

Success?

pepanee, Oct 4, 2016
  9. diatonic Win User
    Thanks Imaneke and Pepanee

Insertinting any drive letter in the browse box restored "My PC" drill down options but only temporarily.

However previously failed anniversary update has now installed and "My PC is now a permanant feature.

Thanks for solving my issue.

diatonic, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing objects in Browse for files or folders - Similar Threads - Missing objects Browse

2. The problem of dragging objects in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The problem of dragging objects in folders: I sometimes have such a problem that objects photos, videos, folders, etc. are not dragged. when I select them with the mouse and want to drag them to another place. Аnd how to get rid of it....
  3. Missing Folders and Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing Folders and Files: I am a Lenovo Laptop user. Now running on Windows 10. My Files and Folders on Drive E and D are missing lately, and all software installed on that drives cannot be opened. I lost all my editing projects and videos. With Everything search Application I could find the folders...
  4. Missing Folders and Files

Missing Folders and Files: I am a Lenovo Laptop user. Now running on Windows 10. Some Files and Folders on Drive E and D are missing lately, and all software installed on that drives cannot be opened. I lost all my editing projects and videos. With Everything search Application I could find the folders...
  5. Missing Folders and files

Missing Folders and files: I do all downloads to Drive G: and to a folder named Downloads. I can open the folder, but I see only eight files. When I check the properties of the Download folder it tells me that it contains 328 files in 22 folders. That leads me to believe that they are still there,...
  6. Group Policy Object Missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy Object Missing: Hi All - I run GPResult /R and see 9 GPO's applied. I then jump over to the server and only see 8 GPO's under "Group Policy Objects". Of course, the one GPO that I need to work on is missing. I searched and found a few potential solutions but they didn't fix my issue. I...
  7. Missing Folders/Files

Missing Folders/Files: Hi, I recently noticed after working on a folder and saving, the next day the folder had disappeared. I checked the used/free values in Windows Explorer and found a 50GB difference from this to the value given by selecting contents and checking properties. I have 6...
  8. Folder missing from File History panel but can be browsed from properties

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Folder missing from File History panel but can be browsed from properties: hi, im new to using File History. I set up for backing up E:/ (but exclude some folders) and Desktop folder (in C:/). From File History in control panel > restore file, the only folder shown is Desktop. But when I click right > properties on folders in E:/ then go to Previous...
  9. Missing Folders and Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Folders and Files: I upgraded to Windows 10 last week. I had folders and some files missing right away. I went into the "Old Windows" folder and nothing was there. Also, I couldn't go back to Windows 7 or a previous system restore because an error is all that would come up. Now, after shutting...
  10. UFO - Unwanted Folder Object

in Windows 10 Support
    UFO - Unwanted Folder Object: When I applied Windows 10 to dual boot with Windows 7 a folder named c8fc94481cec789b7c was placed in the same partition with Win10. Is c8fc94481cec789b7c necessary? Would Win10 stop functioning if this folder is deleted? TIA to anyone who answer. 63287