Windows 10: Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.

Discus and support Missing "open with" options for EXEs only. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can see it when I open text files and such but not when opening exes. This usually isn't a problem but for some reason I have one exe that is opening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Petter.1352, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.

I can see it when I open text files and such but not when opening exes. This usually isn't a problem but for some reason I have one exe that is opening with adobe flash player...

Edit: Ok it's not only with exes but it does work for some types but not others.

:)

Petter.1352, Apr 24, 2019

2. Exe files can only be opened by "run as administrator"

Hi,

Corrupted registry settings, some third-party products, or viruses can change the default configuration for running .exe files. To rectify the issue with opening this particular file type, we suggest that you follow the steps
    below:

• Right-click on the Start button, then choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    • Type regedit and press Enter.
    • Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to
      exefile.
    • Scroll down to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command key.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to “%1” %*.
    • Restart your computer.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Apr 24, 2019
  3. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.

Exe's won't open

Hi Logan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that you are getting a pop up stating "You'll need a new app to open this file" when trying to run an exe file.
    I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will be happy to assist you with this.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• Let us know the exe file type that you are trying to run?

• What is the size of the exe file ?
    Please reply with the above information and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.

1. Missing "open with" options for EXEs only. - Similar Threads - Missing open options

2. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  3. Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Vc_runtimeMinimumx64.exe: I have just bought a new computer, and I've downloaded Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 through steam, and every time i'm trying to open the game I am getting the error message of the following C:\ProgramData\Package...
  4. YourPhone .exe missing

YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  5. YourPhone .exe missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourPhone .exe missing: Your phone stopped working after a Windows reinstall by a Microsoft tech. I have discovered that yourphone.exe is missing from my computer after including hidden files in the search. I can't get any help from Microsoft support because the techs keep taking steps designed to...
  6. EXE Files only opening as 7zip

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    EXE Files only opening as 7zip: Good day, I'm currently helping with some office work as tech support, and I've run into an issue while trying to install a printer driver on an older laptop. One of the office workers needed a computer, so I found an older laptop and updated it to Windows 10, and it has...
  7. Exe files missing

Exe files missing: Logged on to find one of my shortcuts Streamlabs chat bot isnt working. Getting the error that its moved. I did a search and the only results were in a deep folder under user\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\localstate\appiconcache\100. There...
  8. .exe viewer only opens for a few seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .exe viewer only opens for a few seconds: Hi I am trying to open a .exe viewer but when I open it it closes after a few seconds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-viewer-only-opens-for-a-few-seconds/406b375e-a6f8-49f8-ad32-bcff1b8ed337
  9. context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option: context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-is-missing-the-open-option/0d7c340c-17ef-4b71-893c-e6da8327f7e2
  10. Apps with EXE install files only open to a black screen

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Apps with EXE install files only open to a black screen: I have a secondhand Dell Latitude E6420 that I'm running windows on, I've had it for a few weeks and it generally works fine. I've tried to download three different apps, one was installed with a .msi file and it works perfectly fine, and the other two were both installed...