Windows 10: Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7

Discus and support Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Because of the need to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I installed the Windows 10 1903 version from a USB stick a few days ago. After the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mark Hasting, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7

Because of the need to update from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I installed the Windows 10 1903 version from a USB stick a few days ago. After the installation was finished, I noticed there were no installed printers (I had almost 10 printers and PDF printers installed on Windows 7 before the upgrade) , and I received printer spooler errors when trying to add a printer. Essentially I had no way of printing from the upgraded machine,

I installed all the Windows updates including the kb4524147 and kb4517389 that supposedly addressed this issue. Just last night, I upgraded to the 1909 Windows 10 version in hopes that it would solve the issue.

This is happening on multiple machines that I have tried to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 in the past month. I can revert back to Windows 7 and all my printers reappear and everything works.

I'd appreciate any solutions to this problem. I need to upgrade these machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but if the printers wont appear and work, I cannot do this.

Thank you

Mark

:)

Mark Hasting, Nov 13, 2019
  2. digibucc Win User

[help] print spooler problem on windows 7

you really haven't given us any useful information.

print spooler crash, ok - that is actually pretty common. if it happens regularly it is (hopefully) your drivers are corrupt, try removing and reinstalling the printer.

if still no go, what are you trying to print? certain printers and win 7 have problems with PDFs, especially large ones. in the print options under advanced choose print as image and that should bypass the pdf issue.

if neither of those are it - then it is one of the other thousand things that can cause a spool crash. more info needed. printer model, age, etc. other issues. how long has it happened. do you have any other hardware to troubleshoot with (another printer/computer, etc?) also scanners and digital cameras can affect the print spool, pretty much any digital imaging device CAN , though if the drivers are proper they shouldn't.

digibucc, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Issue after installation with print spooler

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would suggest you to try the steps given below and check if that helps.

Note: All the steps mentioned below holds good for windows 10 as well.

If print spooler keeps stopping in Windows 8.1,
    I would suggest to follow the steps given below.

• If the print spooler is not responding to your print commands and print is not happening when printer is fine physically (No paper jam or any error indications on printer hardware). These methods will help
      to clear the pending print jobs (print queue) and hanging spooler service.

• Clear the print spooler files where the Operating Systems store printing jobs temporarily, deleting these file will allow the print spooler to start freshly and run smoothly next time.

• Go to C -> Windows -> System32 -> Spool -> Printers and delete all files inside this folder. This is the location OS keeps the printing jobs before sending
      to printers. Once you delete these files, print queue will be cleared. The same location is applicable for latest Windows 8 and 8.1 too.
    If the problem persists, follow the steps given below.

• Go to services under Computer Management.

• Double click Print Spooler service and go to
      Recovery tab. Here we can set what that service should do when it fails.

• Select ‘Restart the Service’ in Subsequent Failures field. So, it will try restarting print spooler service whenever it fails.

• Go to ‘Dependencies’
      tab and make sure all depending services are started. Luckily, only one dependency service for print spooler service which is
      Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

• Check the RPC service in services and make sure it’s already started.
    If the issue still persists, the last step would be to check for the printer drivers. If the printer drivers are not installed properly, I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

• Delete all unwanted printers from your computer.

• Make sure all printers are installed with proper drivers.
    Additional Information:

Please refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Fix printer problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Note: The above article will
    help you identify and fix common printer problems in Windows. Printing problems can be caused by cables that aren’t connected properly, problems with wireless adapters or settings, damaged or incompatible printer drivers or missing updates.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Karla Alm Win User

Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7

Print Spooler Issue

Hello Sree,

For step by step instructions on how you can manually start the Print Spooler Service, follow these:

• Click Windows tab.
    • Type Control Panel > System and Maintenance
      > Administrative Tools.
    • Double click Services.
    • Right click to the Print Spooler service > Properties.

However, we suggest you can refer to an answer given by Prabhavathi Patil on this

thread

We also recommend that you update the driver for your printer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7

1. Missing Printers and Print Spooler issues after Windows 10 update from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Missing Printers Print

2. Printers unavailable drivers and print spooler stopped after windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printers unavailable drivers and print spooler stopped after windows 10 update?: I have two printers connected to my PC. HP 3520 I use to scan and a Canon Pixma ix6850. For a long time I have managed to avoid loosing my printer connection after the very annoying Windows updates, by simply reverting to a previous version of Windows 10, as I guessed my...
  3. Printers unavailable drivers and print spooler stopped after windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printers unavailable drivers and print spooler stopped after windows 10 update?: I have two printers connected to my PC. HP 3520 I use to scan and a Canon Pixma ix6850. For a long time I have managed to avoid loosing my printer connection after the very annoying Windows updates, by simply reverting to a previous version of Windows 10, as I guessed my...
  4. Printers unavailable drivers and print spooler stopped after windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Printer can't print after Windows 7 updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer can't print after Windows 7 updates: A couple of days ago, Windows 7 was updated and now my Canon printer can't find my computer and vice versa. I thought MS doesn't maintain Windows 7 anymore which is fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled my printer driver and it doesn't work. Please reverse what you have done or...
  6. Printer can't print after Windows 7 updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer can't print after Windows 7 updates: A couple of days ago, Windows 7 was updated and now my Canon printer can't find my computer and vice versa. I thought MS doesn't maintain Windows 7 anymore which is fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled my printer driver and it doesn't work. Please reverse what you have done or...
  7. Print Spooler issue

Print Spooler issue: Good evening, I recently encountered an issue regarding print spooler. When I tried to print from excel, it states that I could not print due to printer spool is not running. After which, I manually started the print spooler by going into services and enable the print...
  8. Print spooler not working after Windows update

Print spooler not working after Windows update: Since the automatic update on 4th October, no printers work. Re-starting the print spooler works for a short while - I managed to print one page - but the print spooler runs for a few seconds, then stops. I can't even remove a printer to re-install the drivers. Have tried...
  9. Print Spooler Issue after 10/4/2019 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Print Spooler Issue after 10/4/2019 Update: After this most recent update to fix a spooler issue, I now have a spooler issue. I have gone in and restarted it, only to have it turn itself off after 2 tries. I've cleared all of the temp printer files (C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS), which didn't help at all. I...
  10. Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

Print Spooler crashing after Windows update: A month ago my computer installed a routine Windows Update upon shut down. When I started up the next morning I couldn't print, getting an error saying I needed to install a printer to be able to print. When I clicked on the network printer I wanted to install I got another...