Windows 10: Missing recent files created in win 10

Discus and support Missing recent files created in win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 and had to revert to the windows 7 build. In doing so all of my recent files have disappeared. I think the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gman, Mar 30, 2017.

1. gman Win User

Missing recent files created in win 10

I recently ran into an issue with windows 10 and had to revert to the windows 7 build. In doing so all of my recent files have disappeared. I think the files are hidden somewhere because the used space on my hard drive has remained the same. I've also tried an undelete program and even the deep scan feature couldnt find the files. Is anyone aware of any issues with accessing files created in windows 10 from an old windows 7 build?

:)

2. Datkur Win User

Files missing to create recovery media Win 10

After intermittent mobo problems and replacing mobo, tried to create recovery CD for Win 10. Message "cannot create recovery media, some files missing"

This is a dual boot Win 7 home premium 64bit system. Win 10 installed from iso CD on SSD after HD change but pre mobo change and no problems with CHKDSK now. How an I define missing files and replace them ? Possibility is that mobo caused corruption but
    system working OK and only problem is creating recovery CD/USB.

Datkur, Mar 30, 2017
  3. Gman9 Win User
    Can't get past Win10 login screen

I tried a system restore but it failed. Before I do a clean install I'd like to save my files. I am able to get into the windows 7 build and it is exactly as I left it however I do not see any of the files I recently created in win 10. Is there a way
    to access win 10 files from inside win 7? Or did I lose all my recent files?

Gman9, Mar 30, 2017
  4. Xilnik Win User

I've had issues restoring deleted files immediately after, but files from months ago are found with a deep scan. *Confused

As to the possibility that the files still are on the drive, maybe try a different search engine than the built-in Windows search indexing. I personally use the Everything search engine to find files. It sometimes misses files protected by System, so it may not find your files if they're in a system directory, but it does a great job finding files that Windows indexing misses.

If you really want a fool proof way to find your files, fire up a Linux OS and search from that. I often run Ubuntu off a flash drive in its Try Ubuntu mode to make changes to Windows that otherwise would be prevented by Windows' permissions. Ubuntu has a pretty user friendly search interface, but you will need to mount your Windows drive to search.

Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

Mounting Windows Partitions

Finding Files

Xilnik, Mar 30, 2017
  5. NOTE: Linux is no longer a "foolproof way" of viewing Windows filesystems! Why?

Because Win10 comes with Fast Startup ENABLED -- and then when you shut down Win10, the filesystems remain MOUNTED! This prevents any Linux distro from then remounting the same filesystems. If you try that, you will get an error message about the Windows filesystem.

You have to disable Fast Startup (which is NOT the same as Fast Boot) in order to mount the Windows filesystems from Linux.

Mark Phelps, Mar 30, 2017
  6. Xilnik Win User
    Thanks for the information. I've never had that issue myself, but I can see how it might happen. My lack of issues might be because I typically boot into Ubuntu by using the Advanced Startup Options to choose the flash drive containing the Ubuntu installation files, and I believe the advanced startup options negate the fast startup when the system reboots.

Xilnik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing recent files created in win 10 - Similar Threads - Missing recent files

2. Missing Files in Created File Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Files in Created File Folders: On my Windows 11 PC I have created a number of file folders such as taxes, landscaping, renovation, etc where I save documents that I have created or received over time. I must have over 50 such file folders and until recently they have each been populated with a butt load of...
  3. Missing Files in Created File Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Files in Created File Folders: On my Windows 11 PC I have created a number of file folders such as taxes, landscaping, renovation, etc where I save documents that I have created or received over time. I must have over 50 such file folders and until recently they have each been populated with a butt load of...
  4. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10: There used to be a drop down list of recent searches with an option to remove them individually in the Windows 10 File Explorer Search text box that would open as soon as you click into the search box.Is there a way to restore this?...
  5. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10: There used to be a drop down list of recent searches with an option to remove them individually in the Windows 10 File Explorer Search text box that would open as soon as you click into the search box.Is there a way to restore this?...
  6. File Manager Search box missing Recent List - Win 10

7. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer: Win 10, File Explorer used to auto update when a new file was added to the folder, Now the file does not update until you change folder then return. Was this a recent change. in Win 10? Win XP had a command to update folder display, but I do not see such a command?I ended up...
  8. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer: Win 10, File Explorer used to auto update when a new file was added to the folder, Now the file does not update until you change folder then return. Was this a recent change. in Win 10? Win XP had a command to update folder display, but I do not see such a command?I ended up...
  9. Recent Win 10 Change of File Explorer

10. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?: I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the...