Windows 10: Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

Discus and support Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rbrian, Jun 17, 2019.

1. rbrian Win User

Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still far better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold today.

This PC ran properly under WIN10 Home 1809. Windows recognizes the full range of screen resolutions, including 1600x900.

After updating WIN10 to 1903 the video only recognizes screen resolutions of 800x600 or 1024x768.

The strange thing is that when WIN10 boots the blue window logo and the animated circle displays at 1600x900. But as soon as the login screen appears the resolution reverts to 1024x768.

If I look at the Device Manager for the Intel Display Adapter properties I see "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". Notifications reports that "The Display driver failed to start: using the Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver". I Uninstalled the driver, then Scanned for hardware changes. That, of course, reinstalls the same previous Intel video driver. This seems to resolve the screen resolution issue - until I restart the PC - when the screen reverts to 1024x768. The whole cycle starts over again.

I rolled back the Intel video driver and tried to find a replacement driver. It is not possible to update the driver from the Intel website. "This product is discontinued". Intel appears to have ended support with Windows 7.

Any suggestions on how to get WIN10 1903 to display the full 1600x900? Thanks

:)

rbrian, Jun 17, 2019
  2. rbrian Win User

I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still far better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold
    today.

This PC ran properly under WIN10 Home 1809. Windows recognizes the full range of screen resolutions, including 1600x900.

After updating WIN10 to 1903 the video only recognizes screen resolutions of 800x600 or 1024x768.

The strange thing is that when WIN10 boots the blue window logo and the animated circle displays at 1600x900. But as soon as the login screen appears the resolution reverts to 1024x768.

If I look at the Device Manager for the Intel Display Adapter properties I see "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)". Notifications reports that "The Display driver failed to start: using the Microsoft Basic Display
    Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver". I Uninstalled the driver, then Scanned for hardware changes. That, of course, reinstalls the same previous Intel video driver. This seems to resolve the screen resolution issue - until
    I restart the PC - when the screen reverts to 1024x768. The whole cycle starts over again.

Phew - hope that I got all the WIN10 versions correct!

Any suggestions on how to get WIN10 1903 to display the full 1600x900? Thanks

rbrian, Jun 17, 2019
  3. jhearcht Win User
    Win10 screen resolution

I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the normal resolution was 2040x1152, but the identical display on my old XP computer is at 1280x1024. When I finally tried the suggested resolution, the screen went black and only an error message was seen : "analog input. Windows cannot display this resolution". Unfortunately, with no display I was unable to go back to the original resolution. So I ended up wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Win8.1 before I could upgrade again to Win10.

Now I'm back to square one. And the icons are still chopped off. I tried the display slider at 125% scale, but that didn't help. I would appreciate any suggestions for getting my monitor to display all of the content without getting too small, or slicing off the edges. As I said before 1280x1024 looks good on XP. Thanks for your support.

jhearcht, Jun 17, 2019
  4. Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

Screen Resolution too big

Hello,

Firstly, try to install all the available Windows Updates and check if it fixes the issue.

I suggest you to change the screen resolution settings and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type Change Screen Resolution and click on the option listed.
    • Under resolution try changing the resolution settings.

Also try to install the latest drivers from the manufacturer website and check.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Jun 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update - Similar Threads - Missing screen resolutions

2. Black screen after 1903 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen after 1903 update: My computer was stuck on 1703 forever but clearing the update folder and restarting the update service seemed to fix it and it updated to 1903. I can get to the logon screen but after logging on all I see is a black screen with my cursor and a blank personalized settings box...
  3. Missing Remote NDIS DRIVER after win10 update to 1903

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing Remote NDIS DRIVER after win10 update to 1903: Hello i have a HP laptop 4 months old running win 10, today it wanted to update to win version 1903, once rebooted, my usb tethering to my iPhone does not work. I tried uninstalling the update, but still the same. If you turn on iTunes it works through the usb, itunes and...
  4. win10 update 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 update 1903: will this update fix missing files and corrupt files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-update-1903/0a4f50d1-5286-47f3-92a7-6ea6c54f3080
  5. Windows Update History Missing after Update 1903

Windows Update History Missing after Update 1903: After updating to Windows 10 version 1903, all update history is missing. Is there a away to restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-history-missing-after-update-1903/2181471a-53e1-4fe7-9cec-67d6ac3dd05a
  6. win10 after update 1903 black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win10 after update 1903 black screen with cursor: gigabyte H81M-WW, intel i7 -4770 3.40 GHZ win10 update 1809 installed working ok. direct x 12 is seen with dxdiag command. screen shot attached. with update 1903 --up to lock screen ok. but on login --only black screen with cursor and on left hand top corner --personalized...
  7. Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing screen resolutions after WIN10 1903 update: I have an older Sony portable PC with a Core2 Duo CPU and Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (MS WDDM 1.1) (GMA 4500MDH) video. This PC still meets my needs and the screen quality is still far better than the vast majority of portable PCs being sold today. This PC ran...
  8. Software missing after Win10 update

Software missing after Win10 update: Hi, I got my new laptop yesterday and installed several softwares. Everything is fine and Win10 started update itself at night, then when the update is finished, all my new softwares are gone... I am very disappointed by this issue and could you how me how to solve it?...
  9. Win10 screen resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Win10 screen resolution: I recently upgraded my new Dell Inspiron mini-tower from Win8.1 to Win10. I noticed that icons on the desktop were chopped-off on the left side of the screen. So I tried various screen resolutions to make the display better fit the 17" monitor. Win10 kept suggesting that the...
  10. Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution problem on Dell laptop after installing Win10!: Hi guys.I'm new her on forum and I have a problem with my Dell laptop,model m5110 with AMD A8 3500m and AMD Radeon HD 6220 graphic card.The problem is that I can't change resolution to higher one than 1024x768 and before that on WIn7 recommended resolution was 1366x768.Can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 update screen resolution

2. screen resolution problem after windows 1903 upgrade

3. not able to use full screen after 1903 update