Windows 10: Missing Shortcut and Start Menu folder after install

Discus and support Missing Shortcut and Start Menu folder after install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; An end - user came to me with an error when clicking a shortcut on his desktop "File or Path Not Found." I looked at the folder at where the location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by danharner, Jan 22, 2019.

1. danharner Win User

Missing Shortcut and Start Menu folder after install

An end - user came to me with an error when clicking a shortcut on his desktop
    "File or Path Not Found." I looked at the folder at where the location was in the start menu and it was installed to this path C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming but there was no .exe in that folder. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the program popped up after the install finished. The program ran great. I installed it to Program Files with a desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut. The user went away and rebooted and came back saying there as no shortcut. I looked and sure enough it was no where to be found. Not only was there no shortcuts, the folder didn't have the correct .exe file in it.

This program is winQTplus. I again uninstalled it, ran setup again, and same issue only this time, the uninstall file was no longer in the folder also. The program boots after install perfectly everytime but there is no sign of the .exe file, shortcut, or start menu folder. If I pin it to taskbar when it opens after install, it changes the shortcut to another version of the software that has the .exe file in the install folder. We do not want this software as it's not the version we require.

I have been unable to mimic this situation on my own laptop. I did the uninstalls, re-installs the same way from the same setup.exe.

:)

danharner, Jan 22, 2019

2. Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Jan 22, 2019
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Darknova Win User

Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Well, I guess the only way would be to remove it, and then add the shortcut to FF from the installation folder to the start menu.

Darknova, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Missing Shortcut and Start Menu folder after install - Similar Threads - Missing Shortcut Start

2. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  3. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  4. Shortcut folders missing

Shortcut folders missing: My shortcut folders are missing in explorer.How do I enable the shortcuts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-folders-missing/2348fc95-78d8-444c-8747-e2c8317bea65
  5. Missing folders in start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing folders in start menu: My start menu does not show 4 of 5 windows folders that appear in my Start11 menu. Windows Accessories, Windows PowerShell, Windows System, and Windows Tools are all missing from the All Apps list in the Windows 11 Start Menu. Only Windows Ease of Access Appears. All 5 of...
  6. Missing folders in start menu

Missing folders in start menu: My start menu does not show 4 of 5 windows folders that appear in my Start11 menu. Windows Accessories, Windows PowerShell, Windows System, and Windows Tools are all missing from the All Apps list in the Windows 11 Start Menu. Only Windows Ease of Access Appears. All 5 of...
  7. Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing icon in added app shortcut in Start Menu: Hi I have added a new apps shortcut in Start menu via shell:AppsFolder->Desktop Shortcut->Start menu shortcut, but I have 2 issues: 1 - shortcut in menu does not show the app icon 2- app does not appear in search result 2.1 - i have deleted an rebuild the search index...
  8. Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu: Upgraded to Win10 v1909 from Win7 this AM. So far in my research does NOT appear to be a valid solution for Missing Shortcuts from Start. --------------------- Question ----------------- Can someone confirm my background assessment is correct -- or -- have an answer as to...
  9. Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Missing From Office Start Menu: Upgraded to Win10 v1909 from Win7 this AM. So far in my research does NOT appear to be a valid solution for Missing Shortcuts from Start. --------------------- Question ----------------- Can someone confirm my background assessment is correct -- or -- have an answer as to...
  10. Missing shortcut on Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing shortcut on Start menu: Hi There, So I have a question if is ok. I put a folder on start menu : [img] (The "Downloads" Folder) If I click on it, this happens : [img] What should I do ? 57943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install setup but missing sortcut how to fix

2. create shortcut in start menu after installation