Windows 10: Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?

Discus and support Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, I had to run system restore last night due to some corruptions with my modern apps. Once the restore completed, everything was back to normal.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dacrone, Mar 23, 2017.

1. dacrone Win User

Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?

So, I had to run system restore last night due to some corruptions with my modern apps. Once the restore completed, everything was back to normal. Today, however, I noticed that ThisPC shows my partition as 150gb free of 312gb, whereas before the restore it was 177gb free. I have run TreeSize and SpaceSniffer, both of which show my usage as 134gb (leaving 178gb free). I believe that I am not actually missing any space, so this begs the question... how on earth can I "reset" or forcefully refresh the disk usage meter for ThisPC??

(just to get this out there, I've tried disk cleanup, deleted all system restore points, disabled hibernate, ran chkdsk /r, ran sfc /scannow, manually browsed systemvolumeinformation folder)

Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit? [​IMG]

:)

dacrone, Mar 23, 2017

2. Missing space in SSD due to Gears of War 4 download failure from Windows store...

I've been trying to download Gears of War 4 from the windows store for a week now and have not been able to. Recently I've been getting to 33 GB into the download until my computer starts to completely lag and I am forced to shut it down (this happened
    twice). I have also noticed that even though the download failed twice, I am missing over 80 GB in space in my SSD from the download attempts and am now unable to try to download the game again due to insufficient space!! I am also unable to find anything
    regarding gears of war 4 in my files so there is nothing I can delete to get the space back. Does anyone have a solution for the missing space and the download of the game itself ?

MikaelDesrochers, Mar 23, 2017
  3. Recovery Partition

I updated my laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and then I deleted Recovery Partition on my SSD without taking anything on USB. I think the space used by previous Recovery partition is missing in the total space on SSD may be cause I used AOEMI Partition
    software to delete same. Please tell me how to get back the lost space and how to create a Recovery partition on SSD for windows 10. When ever I try to create a Recovery drive I get a message You cant do it.

JASBIR KHARA, Mar 23, 2017
  4. dacrone Win User

*Update - So if I run WinDirStat and SpaceSniffer both as admin, they both allow me to show "unknown" or "unaccessible" space. SpaceSniffer shows 28.6gb of "unaccessible space" and WinDirStat shows 31.6gb of "unknown space". anyone know how I can recover this space? It is definitely the difference that is missing...

dacrone, Mar 23, 2017
  5. DavidE Win User
    DavidE, Mar 23, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    You could try running cleanmgr.exe and see if it comes up with anything.

swarfega, Mar 23, 2017
  7. dacrone Win User
    Thank you for your input. WizTree Results were as follows:

Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit? [​IMG]

So.... now that I know the data resides in C:\$Extra, how can I go about deleting it without harming anything in the process? Any input is greatly appreciated, just as before.

*swarfega, yes I have run cleanmgr (disk cleanup) multiple times, but to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though.

dacrone, Mar 24, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

C:\$Extend actually, from your screenshot. This as an NTFS metafile. The $RmMetadata subfolder folder is apparently used by the Transactional Resource Manager. You can find out more about it in a command prompt with:

fsutil resource info C:\

And you've now reached the limits of my knowledge. There's very little info to be found on the web. This thread may give you some pointers...
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...onsprogramming

I guess FSUTIL may be what you need to manage it, but that is not something I know enough about to advise on...
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ommands/fsutil

9. dacrone Win User
    Haha, yes it is $Extend. Sorry about that typo. I was in a bit of a rush earlier. That is some good information that you've found. Thank you for your time & efforts. I will most likely just have to wipe/reinstall to get it back without causing any damage to anything else... The joys of Windows!

dacrone, Mar 24, 2017
  10. dacrone Win User
    Bree, you have saved me soooo much headache!! 10 years I've been using Windows OS and have never seen this issue before. The first link you provided had a command to clean the files, and IT WORKED! Once you run the second command on that forum response, it says to restart. I restarted and it took about 30 minutes to go from the splash screen to the desktop, but now all 28 missing GB are back AND 3 GB that I had been missing for a few months (I chalked it up to updates, etc.). For anyone in the future, this is some sort of "log" that is written during use of certain OS functional applications. As Bree mentioned, there is not much about it floating around on the net, but this fix seems to resolve it fully!

dacrone, Mar 24, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    So glad I could help. It's always much safer to work with the OS commands, however obscure, than to hack away blindly. *Smile

@dacrone, there's a command that can potentially reclaim a few more GB from the updates store, but using it removes the ability to remove any previously installed updates.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...-winsxs-folder

12. dacrone Win User
    Very true! I make weekly backups on Saturday mornings (full clone of my ssd to another) and I was a little distraught that I was going to have to go back to last Saturday! I have tweaked Cortana quite a lot since then haha. Windows 10 is alright as long as you make the right mods, otherwise Cortana is all but useless imho... Nevertheless, have a great night!

dacrone, Mar 24, 2017
  13. CCB
    CCB Win User

Which commands, exactly, did you run? Followed the link but the thread was from 2009; fsutil doesn't seem to have a 'setautoreset' option, nor 'set autoreset'.
    More detail about what worked for you would be very helpful, as I have 50+ GB of unaccessible space on my SP4 250 GB SSD.
    Thanks --

14. Bree New Member
    Yes it does. Type fsutil resource to see the list of its options.

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil resource ---- RESOURCE Commands Supported ---- create Create a Secondary Transactional Resource Manager info Display information relating to a Transactional Resource Manager setautoreset Set whether a default Transactional Resource Manager will clean its transactional metadata on next mount setavailable Set a Transactional Resource Manager to prefer availability over consistency setconsistent Set a Transactional Resource Manager to prefer consistency over availability setlog Change characteristics of a running Transactional Resource Manager start Start a Transactional Resource Manager stop Stop a Transactional Resource Manager C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil resource setautoreset Usage : fsutil resource setautoreset true <Default RM Root pathname> fsutil resource setautoreset false <Default RM Root pathname> Eg : fsutil resource setautoreset true d:\[/quote]

15. CCB
    CCB Win User
    Thanks. That seems to have cleaned up the problem, down to ~2GB unaccessible.

Thema:

1. Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit? - Similar Threads - Missing SSD Space

2. Missing space on SSD after deleting all partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing space on SSD after deleting all partitions: I wanted to erase an SSD and used Disk Management to delete the partitions. But now I have one unallocated space of 112gb but the SSD is 500gb. I have tried a variety of tools and commands but cannot get back to full capacity. I even downloaded a tool from the manufacturer...
  3. SSD missing space, no unallocated space either.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD missing space, no unallocated space either.: I'm running windows 10. I cloned my 512GB SSD to a larger 1TB SSD using clonezilla. Everything works great, but the disk size is still 512GB on the new 1TB SSD. BUT, there is no "unallocated space" See screen capture below. Disk 0 is 1TB SSD, but the total size is wrong at...
  4. SSD missing space, no unallocated space either.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD missing space, no unallocated space either.: I'm running windows 10. I cloned my 512GB SSD to a larger 1TB SSD using clonezilla. Everything works great, but the disk size is still 512GB on the new 1TB SSD. BUT, there is no "unallocated space" See screen capture below. Disk 0 is 1TB SSD, but the total size is wrong at...
  5. SSD missing space, no unallocated space either.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. SSD missing space, no unallocated space either

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD missing space, no unallocated space either: When I was under Windows Setup while installing Windows 10, I've deleted a partition. The GBs weren't reallocated to my SSD. Checked in CMD with diskpart as well as in disk management but I can't find any unallocated space either....
  7. Focus assit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Focus assit: Focus assist turns it self off, you set it again then the next time you use screen sip or what every its off have to turn it on again. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/focus-assit/a98fc52d-24e8-417f-a526-2306fd1b46ae
  8. Missing space in SSD...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing space in SSD...: If I have chosen the wrong topic, sorry... My question is about the space i have on my SSD. I asked about it for a month ago but didnt find any solution... I had around 100GB on my SSD before an update came to Windows that took a bit of time to download. After the update i...
  9. Can anyone help! Unallocated space trouble.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone help! Unallocated space trouble.: I have 500gb free space which is unallocated. When I go to disk partition and try to allocate it, it doesn’t give me the option to allocate to same letter path. For example my m.2 which is named “C drive” has 500gb unallocated free space. Yet when trying to allocate it, it...
  10. 20 GB of space missing on SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    20 GB of space missing on SSD: [ATTACH] Cannot clean what I can't find. Can you help? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/20-gb-of-space-missing-on-ssd/52f4089c-7988-4c05-a25c-f7cc603350a9

Users found this page by searching for:

1. missing ssd space