Windows 10: Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

Discus and support Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Home network shows 2 folders for EMATIC computer. Owner and Public. However, only PUBLIC shows whenever accessed by other machines. Has worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WacoJohn, Oct 20, 2020.

1. WacoJohn Win User

Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

Home network shows 2 folders for EMATIC computer. Owner and Public.

However, only PUBLIC shows whenever accessed by other machines. Has worked properly in the past. Advanced sharing shows 'everything' turned on except Password. The PUBLIC folder behaves normally. Only problem is OWNER folder not showing. All are W10.

2 attachments ... 1 showing the Ematic machine indicating an OWNER folder and the other a different machine accessing the Ematic and NOT showing the OWNER folder. Hope this makes sense. Help is appreciated in advance.

:)

WacoJohn, Oct 20, 2020

2. c:\users\public\public documents\xxxxx

robocopy "c:\users\public\public documents\foldername"

robocopy "c:\users\public\documents\foldername"

In your report you left out some essential details, e.g.

• Does the folder c:\users\public\public documents exist?
    • Is it a physical folder or a symbolic link?
    • What is the error message generated by robocopy?

Frederik Long, Oct 20, 2020
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only [​IMG]

scopio, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only

1. Missing user folder ... PUBLIC only - Similar Threads - Missing user folder

2. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  3. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public users folder gone: My C:\Users\Public folder just vanished into thin air I didn't delete it or anything its just goneHow can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-users-folder-gone/358230a2-4692-4cc2-9b29-27b9248b0f3b
  4. Public users folder gone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User Folder is Missing

User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  6. User Folder Missing

User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  7. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  8. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Give access to my public folder only on local network to a macos user: I used this method with SMB access, using Windows 10's folder credentians (which is really stupid, why would I be giving my admin's profile credentials?) Then of course the client on Macos was able to access both my public profile and my userprofile, having r/w access too....
  10. How to share a public read only folder

How to share a public read only folder: I have Hotmail and Office 365 Personal, and use OneDrive. . I would like to create a public read-only folder. . Also, I would like to create a public read-write folder. . The rest should be only accessible by me. . Is there a special, public PUBLIC OneDrive share URL...