Windows 10: Missing Windows Defender Services

Discus and support Missing Windows Defender Services in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Split from this thread. Hi biswashkoirala, Your screenshot of the "Security at a glance" almost certainly shows that you aremissing the service,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by crazyteju, Jun 23, 2020.

1. crazyteju Win User

Missing Windows Defender Services

Split from this thread.​

Hi biswashkoirala,

Your screenshot of the "Security at a glance" almost certainly shows that you aremissing

the service, Windows Defender Antivirus Service WinDefend.

To verify, please go to your "Services" screen and scroll down to the Windows Defender

services. You should have at least three WD services. You are probably missing the one

in the center.

There is apparently some form of malware that is steeling "WinDefend". Once its gone,

there are only two ways to get it back. 1. Copy it from another W10 PC or 2. Perform a

Repair Upgrade.

You should download and scan your PC with a free copy of MalwareBytes. Set it to

"scan for rootkits". When you do this, please observe what MalwareBytes finds, in its

"Detection History". It would be good to find out what it is, since it apparently gets by

Windows Defender. Please post what you find here.

PLEASE BE ADVISED! Just received a response from a post, that the followingCOPY

procedure gave an error code. No information regarding the error code.

Perhaps, Repair Upgrade may be the only way to fix amissing WinDefend, and still

retain your Apps and Files.

COPY procedure.

If you want to copy the "Service" from another PC, you should first determine that it is

really missing in your Registry. Enter the Registry "As an Administrator", and navigate to

the following branch.

Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet and expand Services.

Scroll down to WiMMount. WinDefend should be right after it. It is probably missing.

If you have access to another W10 PC of similar W10 version, install a USB flash drive in

it, and go to this same location in its Registry. Right click its WinDefendfolder, and export

it to the flashdrive. Using the "Save In" block at the top of the panel Then name it WinDefend, and Click "Save". The .reg file will now be on your flash drive.

Move the flash drive to your PC, and save the .reg file to your Desktop. Double-click the

file, and it will merge into your Registry.

Restart your PC and the "Windows Defender Antivirus Service" should be back.

Repair Upgrade procedure.

If you do not have access to another W10 PC, it is necessary to rebuild your OS. "Repair
    Upgrade" is the easiest way to do that. This procedure is very stable if the configuration

of your PC is HDD only. If the configuration is SSD + HDD it can be problematic, and you

should create a Backup Image of your system before proceeding

Download the TOOL from http://www.Microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Right click the downloaded file and select "Run as administrator". Select the option

"Upgrade This PC Now" and the process begins. Answer the questions logically, and when

asked "what to keep", ensure that both the OS and Apps & Files are both selected.

The procedure requires about an hour to complete. Your PC will restart several times. And

sometimes it appears to be doing nothing. Be patient. When it is finished, your "sign in"

screen will appear. Your PC will be just as it was before the procedure, but with a new W10.

Good luck, Glen

Missing Windows Defender Services 414a76a3-d8c0-4330-a1cd-39adee09945f?upload=true.png Missing Windows Defender Services ea205088-f56a-4a83-a31d-55e767186c7f?upload=true.png Missing Windows Defender Services 506b675a-51af-4dce-8fc8-0bb96d2040c8?upload=true.png Missing Windows Defender Services 48681a1f-46c8-40b1-ab96-925cf17a537c?upload=true.png

I am facing exact problem as you have mentioned ,the second time.

On first time I "repair upgraded" windows three months back but it happened again I don't know what's causing it.

when it happens it will also deletes "wuauserv" registry , so I can not update my windows it will give"0X80070005" error.

when I installed the wuauserv.reg from other computer the windows update was working fine , but not"windows security",so i "repair upgraded" the windows. It was added after that and was working fine till now.

I don't want to reset my windows again so, could anyone please share the WinDefend.reg as a txt file here.

My winver is " Version 2004OS build 19041.329"

I appreciate the help.

:)

crazyteju, Jun 23, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Securing Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 services HOW TO

I will try changing their settings sometime, the one thing I've noticed about this guide is that it doesn't list the Windows services that NEED to be left as local system, so some people might not be too sure what they're doing and worry about any that aren't listed. Just a suggestion that you might want to include in any future revisions. *Smile Missing Windows Defender Services :)

The non-default ones I have that you have not listed are:

.Net Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
    Ati HotKey Poller
    ATI Smart
    AVG E-mail Scanner
    AVG7 Alert Manager Server
    AVG7 Update Service
    BlueSoleil Hid Service
    Bluetooth Support Service
    ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard
    iPod Service
    Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service
    Service Layer
    Windows Defender Service

The problem is that the only ones of these I actually use are The AVG and Windows Defender services and occasionally the "Service Layer" service (related to Nokia PC Suite) and the "Messenger Sharing USN Journal Reader Service" (related to WindowsLive Messenger). Anyway, I'll see how much I can secure those and post back how I get on. I'll try to test it sometime this week just I'm a bit waring of changing the AVG settings because the only way to test if it was still working would be for a virus to be detected... and I' rather I didn't get viruses!

Jimmy 2004, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Missing Windows Defender Services

Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Missing Windows Defender Services

1. Missing Windows Defender Services - Similar Threads - Missing Defender Services

2. Windows defender service is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender service is missing: windows defender service is missing how can I fix without any reset of my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-service-is-missing/3107b26c-470f-47fb-a86e-39d8a1894a0c
  3. Windows defender service is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender service is missing: windows defender service is missing how can I fix without any reset of my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-service-is-missing/3107b26c-470f-47fb-a86e-39d8a1894a0c
  4. Windows defender service is missing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender service is missing!

Windows Defender service is missing!: I have just reset my pc, now I need an anti-virus so I thought of Windows Defender. I opened it and everything was normal. Then I pressed Start now but an error message came:-I opened services but Windows Defender services was MISSING! Please Help!!...
  6. Windows Defender Service missing and no Windows Defender folder in gpedit.msc

Windows Defender Service missing and no Windows Defender folder in gpedit.msc: I can't find the Windows Defender Service and in gpedit.msc there is no Windows Defender folder under Computer Configuration\Windows Components. I did sfc /scannow and it didn't find any error I also tried all the DISM command [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows Defender is Blank and Defender Services are missing

Windows Defender is Blank and Defender Services are missing: [ATTACH] I have been searching around the web to resolve this issue. Came empty handed. I saw a lot of websites and videos saying that I should restart Windows Defender Services. But in my case, problems don't come in just 1: [ATTACH] Supposedly, Windows Defender...
  8. WINDOWS DEFENDER SERVICES MISSING From The SERVICES APP

WINDOWS DEFENDER SERVICES MISSING From The SERVICES APP: This problem occurs in W10 v2004 in its latest build, and probably the previous one as well. The Services, while missing in the "Services" screen, cause no problem for your PC. Because they are not really missing. The problem that they will cause, is to misinform...
  9. Windows Defender Service is Missing

Windows Defender Service is Missing: UNDER SERVICES I CANNOT FIND THE "WINDOWS DEFENDER SERVICES" WHERE HAS THIS GONE???? [Original Title: WINDOWS 10] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-is-missing/5cf85af2-0220-4d0d-9e73-2cb20e41e167
  10. Windows Defender Service missing.

Windows Defender Service missing.: Hi, I have a big issue, the Windows Defender Service is completely missing from the services and as such Windows Defender isn't working. Been searching and haven't been able to find something that solves my issue. Windows 10 Pro. Already tried - DISM - Failed,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows10 no windows defender service