Windows 10: Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license

Discus and support Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After a hard drive replacement on HP laptop the local tech also installed Win10 using his key. It seemed to work so I let it slide; now 6 months later... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RobertPeterson8, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license

After a hard drive replacement on HP laptop the local tech also installed Win10 using his key. It seemed to work so I let it slide; now 6 months later I need to Activate Windows. Problem is I have a Digital License attached to my account/computer but all I'm allowed to do is change the product key. I tried resetting and now all my personalized settings have disappeared and still can't enter digital license. Is there a workaround short of wiping my drive or talking to a live agent? I am out of the country (US) where I bought the computer and calling and waiting on hold for response is an expensive nightmare.

:)

RobertPeterson8, Mar 8, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

This is valid, with a small "but":

Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license [​IMG]
    Information As soon as Windows 10 version 1511 or later is activated, regardless of the activation method or product key type, it is entitled to digital activation and license.

Therefore, the product key or other activation methods are not (should not be) needed when re-installing Windows.
    Version 1511 always shows the product key after initial key activation. It is of course already entitled to a digital activation and license but that will only be shown after first reinstall without a key.

1607 made this a bit easier to understand, showing Digital License instead of Product Key already after the initial first product key activation.

See my reply above Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license :)

Kari, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

Yes that's essentially correct. However, before the anniversary edition was released, systems with Windows 10 installed with a retail product code would show as activated with a product code. Only systems that did the free upgrade got a digital entitlement. Now, it looks like just about any PC activated running the anniversary edition gets a digital entitlement. Retail key or not. My activation toggled from activated with a product key to activated with a digital license. A subtle but important change. I don't have to enter key when I install the education version on this PC now. Up until I did the upgrade I had to every time or it would not activate.

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

Sorry for the quality, they were taken with my camera. We'd all be old and grey by the time I learned to do a video capture. lol, I'm old and grey now.

alphanumeric, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license

1. Mistake activating Win10 using product key instead of digital license - Similar Threads - Mistake activating Win10

2. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  3. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    We need product activation keys for digital licenses: I reinstalled windows this morning to fix some WHEA ID 1 errors and now I can't activate it. I spent ~3 hours dealing with Microsoft technical support because even though I'm using the same account, the activation troubleshooter doesn't recognize my computer.Nobody was able...
  4. We need product activation keys for digital licenses

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  6. Windows License #/Digital Product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows License #/Digital Product key: Hello there,I have 2 different hard drives that have sentimental files on them I was asked by the owners to retrieve the files. However, both of them seem to require a windows update to be able to do anything with the files. I am only capable of accessing these drives by...
  7. Transfer digital license to product key

Transfer digital license to product key: Is there a way for me to do this without calling microsoft support for a remote assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-digital-license-to-product-key/14313ea7-9863-4bc5-bb90-c49b8c27022b
  8. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  9. Active Window 10 with Digital License instead of Product Key ???

Active Window 10 with Digital License instead of Product Key ???: Hi all, I recently bought a new laptop and I'd like to reinstall Window 10 on the new one. Problem is the Window 10 I have is the one upgraded from Window 8.1 for free. So if I log in with my Microsoft account on the new laptop Window then is it gonna automatic active...
  10. Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License"

Activation switched from "with product key" to "with Digital License": After doing the upgrade from Windows 10 Education 1511 to 1607, Settings > Update & security > Activation, switched from "activated with a product key" to Activated with a Digital License". Activation has changed with the upgrade to 1607. To clarify what I'm talking about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to use product key instead of windows digital key

2. which key must select to win10 to replace user