Windows 10: Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not?

Discus and support Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, So I have a 8700K and MSI Z370 with the last BIOS (and also the last, and necessary microcode update - see picture). I have installed the OS... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by t0yz, Aug 14, 2018.

1. t0yz Win User

Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not?

Hello,

So I have a 8700K and MSI Z370 with the last BIOS (and also the last, and necessary microcode update - see picture). I have installed the OS patch (Windows 10 x64). Yet the PC is still vulnerable, I can't figure why.

This is from the perspective of a normal Windows 10 user, i.e. client side, no Hyper-X, no SGX (not even installed that as there's no use to it unless you develop stuff, from what I've heard).

What I tried:

- turning off Hyperthreading - no effect (was suggested as necessary if using Virtualization-Based Security - mine shows as Disabled in msinfo, still gave it a shot)

- manually enabling SSBD mitigations - that changed the SSBDWindowsSupportEnabledSystemWide flag to True, as expected. Sadly L1TFHardwareVulnerable is also remaining True...

Intel (and Microsoft) are saying that the microcode necessary for L1TF is the same required for SSBD:

Are there mitigations in place?

Yes. The microcode updates released earlier this year when coupled with operating system and hypervisor software updates available now from our industry partners, ensure consumers, IT professionals and cloud service providers have access to the protections they need.

The required microcode is the same microcode that addresses CVE-2018-3639 and CVE-2018-3640.

The last 8700K microcode is Rev 0x96 (see picture as well).

So all the pieces should fall into place, yet they don't. The PC is still found as vulnerable. So... what could be the issue here?

Thanks!

Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not? [​IMG]

:)

2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Yukikaze Win User
    WPA2 Vulnerability Found

A small update with regards to the Microsoft fix. The fix itself is sufficient to solve the issue on Windows, even if your WiFi device has no driver update, with one caveat:

Does this security update fully address these vulnerabilities on Microsoft Platforms, or do I need to perform any additional steps to be fully protected?
    The provided security updates address the reported vulnerabilities; however, when affected Windows based systems enter a connected standby mode in low power situations, the vulnerable functionality may be offloaded to installed Wi-Fi hardware. To fully address potential vulnerabilities, you are also encouraged to contact your Wi-Fi hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers. For a listing of affected vendors with links to their documentation, review the ICASI Multi-Vendor Vulnerability Disclosure statement here: http://www.icasi.org/wi-fi-protected-access-wpa-vulnerabilities

Source: {{windowTitle}}

Yukikaze, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not?

Just a friendly notice to you peepz who visit Rage3D

Thanks HJ :up:

To be honest I'm not involved with the site restore. Though this does give me some ideas for an article, how to take steps to protect yourself and mitigate your data vulnerabilities.

caveman-jim, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not?

1. Mitigating the last "L1 terminal fault" vulnerabilities - possible or not? - Similar Threads - Mitigating last terminal

2. Windows terminal and terminal preview , crashing after last update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows terminal and terminal preview , crashing after last update: Like the issue was happened in January with almost all native Windows apps. now the same problem reappears again, apparently caused by Microsoft for "old " cpu´s . This time it is affecting the latest version of Windows Terminal and Windows Terminal...
  3. Windows terminal and terminal preview , crashing after last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows terminal and terminal preview , crashing after last update: Like the issue was happened in January with almost all native Windows apps. now the same problem reappears again, apparently caused by Microsoft for "old " cpu´s . This time it is affecting the latest version of Windows Terminal and Windows Terminal...
  4. Microsoft publishes mitigation instructions for Downfall vulnerability in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft publishes mitigation instructions for Downfall vulnerability in Windows: Microsoft published a support article about the recently disclosed CVE-2022-40982 vulnerability, commonly referred to as Downfall, that affects Windows devices. The vulnerability was disclosed earlier this month. It affects several Intel processor versions and all supported...
  5. finger.exe Vulnerability affecting all Windows Operating Systems, potential mitigation?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    finger.exe Vulnerability affecting all Windows Operating Systems, potential mitigation?: Dear Microsoft Community, I would be interested to hear your response to possible mitigation against the use of finger.exe to download malicious code as described in the following:...
  6. Possible vulnerability to router

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible vulnerability to router: I'm noticing something weird on my network, a few days ao I could not change my Firefox password in a Firefox browser, and the router password I had set up was no longer valid. I tried yesterday to do a factory reset on my router, I changed the default router password and a...
  7. About emulating SCSI and Vulnerabilities mitigation fixes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    About emulating SCSI and Vulnerabilities mitigation fixes: I've been trying to emulate SCSI on Win10 1903 and it seems that Windows now blocks that type of thing. After a lot of researching I found a workaround to make this possible: Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]...
  8. Guidance to mitigate unconstrained delegation vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    Guidance to mitigate unconstrained delegation vulnerabilities: Executive Summary Active Directory Forest trusts provide a secure way for resources in a forest to trust identities from another forest. This trust is directional; a trusted forest can authenticate its users to the trusting forest without allowing the reverse.  A...
  9. Analysis and mitigation of L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF)

in Windows 10 News
    Analysis and mitigation of L1 Terminal Fault (L1TF): In January 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates for a new class of hardware vulnerabilities involving speculative execution side channels (known as Spectre and Meltdown). In this blog post, we will provide a technical analysis of a new speculative...
  10. Mitigating speculative execution side channel hardware vulnerabilities

in Windows 10 News
    Mitigating speculative execution side channel hardware vulnerabilities: On January 3rd, 2018, Microsoft released an advisory and security updates related to a newly discovered class of hardware vulnerabilities involving speculative execution side channels (known as Spectre and Meltdown) that affect AMD, ARM, and Intel CPUs to varying degrees. If...