Windows 10: Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

Discus and support Mixing drives with GPT and MBR in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportflyer, May 21, 2019.

1. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This disk will be used only for movies . Tks

:)

sportflyer, May 21, 2019

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, May 21, 2019
  3. Convert GPT to MBR

if you cant do it using Disk Manager, Try DISKPART in command prompt.

otherwise you will need to find a 3rd party format/paritition program, google around for one.

the only way to go from GPT to MBR is to remove all volumes / parititions from the drive.

EDIT, im farily certain that only XP PRO can read GPT drives, HOME edition cant.
    Vista premium and Win 7 can both read GPT drives i think.... i know for sure that the ultimate editions can.

slyfox2151, May 21, 2019
  4. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

Smittychat., May 21, 2019
Thema:

Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

1. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR - Similar Threads - Mixing drives GPT

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  4. MBR to GPT had drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT had drive: I’m trying to do a build with my cousin, he set the drive with windows to GPT because he said the msi MB can’t read MBR. Computer booted fine with just the windows drive. We plugged in my other drives and got this error https://i.imgur.com/CcjpMMA.jpg. His friend is claiming...
  5. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  6. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  7. mbr and gpt on the same drive

mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...
  8. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  9. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...
  10. MBR or GPT

MBR or GPT: Well I have to do my windows 10 over the right way, I thought I installed a clean install but apparently I didn't so I have instructions how to do it the right way. My question is back when I was having other issues with 10 it was mentioned about using GPT instead of the MBR....