Windows 10: MKLINK not working

Discus and support MKLINK not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; winver 18363.628 Never had any problems with this before. Re-checked the MKLINK tutorial, trying cmd and PowerShell. Added the quotes to target and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mavigozler, Feb 10, 2020.

1. MKLINK not working

winver 18363.628

Never had any problems with this before. Re-checked the MKLINK tutorial, trying cmd and PowerShell. Added the quotes to target and link too, but same result

So here are the commands in cmd with error messages. Note that I tried the hard link option too (/h). The link is being made to a target on the same logical drive (volume). Drive D: is FAT32 and is a partition on an SSD physical disk with the C: logical drive (NTFS-formatted, of course). I see no indication that symlinks (soft or hard) are not supported on FAT32 drives

Code:
    :)

mavigozler, Feb 10, 2020
  2. MDougC Win User

MKLINK not recognized

I want to use MKLINK (in Powershell) to sync a folder to OneDrive.

There are many articles about using this is Windows 10.

But I get this message from Powershell:

mklink : The term 'mklink' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

How do I get access to MKLINK?

MDougC, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 10, 2020
  4. MKLINK not working

MKLINK not recognized

Mklink is not a standalone executabe, it's built-in to the Command Prompt (cmd.exe). It can't run directly from PowerShell.

So easiest thing to do is open an actual Command Prompt, type 'mklink' and you'll get the built-in help.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

MKLINK not working

1. MKLINK not working - Similar Threads - MKLINK working

2. mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart: We are created mklink batch file and installed to program files x 86 folder location. After installation two folders created in the particular location. But once restarted pc, the folders are not appeared in that particular location. so every time i ran the batch and...
  3. mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    mklink folders are disappeared once pc restart: We are created mklink batch file and installed to program files x 86 folder location. After installation two folders created in the particular location. But once restarted pc, the folders are not appeared in that particular location. so every time i ran the batch and...
  4. Mklink issues, need help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mklink issues, need help.: Hi guys, I'm running out of space on my SSD but I have an HDD. I'm trying to create an mklink for some video files in a video game folder and link them from the HDD to the game that's running on the SSD. However, when i create the link its giving me invalid error codes. The...
  5. Using mklink in a batch during Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using mklink in a batch during Windows 10 install: Which phase of setup can I use mklink in during Windows 10 setup? OOBE? or a phase sooner? How do I run an administrative command prompt during setup. Thank you for your help! 145012
  6. Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?: I have a curious MKLINK issue with Win 10 Pro. I wonder if someone could clarify for me. Latest updates as of 23/4/19. Desktop Intel i7. 16 Gig RAM. First, I have a folder on J:\XMKLINK TEST. I created mklink /D "L:\XMLINK TEST" "J:\XMLINK TEST" Explorer shows the orig folder...
  7. Use symbolic links (mklink) to sync OneDrive, does it still work?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use symbolic links (mklink) to sync OneDrive, does it still work?: I've been using symbolic links (mklink/d) to sync files in my computer to onedrive and it has been doing good. However, it didn't work a fee weeks ago and i've tried all methods, e.g. unlink to this computer and link again, check windows updates etc. But none of them worked....
  8. Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location?: Hi all. I moved some of my libraries using the following. from an administrative command prompt robocopy /MIR %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Joe\Documents D:\Documents Then booted into safe mode Then from an administrative command prompt rmdir /s /q...
  9. Show system MKLINK active

in Windows 10 Support
    Show system MKLINK active: Hello, how I can see the "mklinks" that are active now in my OS? Or someone should remember it in mind? *Shock That's because if I do "MKLINK /?" I don't have something related to "show" them... 85475
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...