Windows 10: MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in

Discus and support MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't know when this happened, certainly didn't have this problem two years ago. Now whenever I launch mmc.exe to add the Certificates snap-in,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by icelava, Sep 8, 2019.

1. icelava Win User

MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in

I don't know when this happened, certainly didn't have this problem two years ago. Now whenever I launch mmc.exe to add the Certificates snap-in, regardless of which account store, mmc will shortly close down itself.

An application error gets registered in Application event log each time it breaks down.

Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x288c7033

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0xc00f8a30

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x00000000000a1140

Faulting process id: 0x8818

Faulting application start time: 0x01d566406bda4911

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 4b4c1e71-394c-4ef1-96cd-5ce180eff97a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any good ideas how to fix this?

:)

icelava, Sep 8, 2019

2. On Windows 10 MMC crashes when adding certificate snap-in

We are getting the issue also on Windows 10.

As a partial work around one can run the MMC console snap-in via command line:

certlm.msc

which will open the Certificates (Local Computer).

So between the two existing .msc files we were able to get most of the editing we needed to work on certificates:

certlm.msc - Certificates (Local Computer)

certmgr.msc - Certificates (Current User)

MichaelHenningFerrante, Sep 8, 2019
  3. On Windows 10 MMC crashes when adding certificate snap-in

Trying to retrace my original path to the problem, I found a new way to invoke the problem that has nothing to do with certificates.

Even so, this is what I originally did:

1. As administrator, open a Windows Powershell console window (version: 5.0)

2. Type "mmc" and press [RETURN]

3. Click [CTRL]-[M] and see the "Add or Remove Snap-ins"-window open

4. Click on "Certificates" and click on "Add"

5. Select "Computer account" and click "Next"

6. Click "Finish"

7. Click the "Ok"-button in the lower right hand corner

Result: MMC crashes

The new way of invoking a similar result is:

1. As administrator, open a Windows Powershell console window (version: 5.0)

2. Type "mmc" and press [RETURN]

3. Click [CTRL]-[M] and see the "Add or Remove Snap-ins"-window open

4. Press [ESC]

Result: MMC crashes

Regarding your questions:

1: I am not getting that far into the process that I can actually add a certificate. I feel confident that the certificates I want to add are valid and working, since this has worked on a colleagues computer.

2: I have tried from a subdirectory with certificate files (.cer files), from the root of my C-drive and from a misc subdirectory. All from an admin Powershell. I have also tried to start "mmc.exe" as an administrator, but with the same result.

3: Yep - I am connected to my company's domain

CarstenBirck, Sep 8, 2019
  4. MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in

MMC crashes when I try to add the certificate snap-in and getting error message "Microsoft Management Console has stopped working" on Windows 10.

Original Title: MMC crashes when adding certificate snap-in

On Windows 10, my MMC crashes when I try to add the certificate snap-in. When I click "Ok" after having added the snap-in (computer account, local computer) the message: "Microsoft Management Console has stopped working" and I am offered a debug option.

There are no further error messages.

I have tried to run "sfc /scannow" and found nothing to repair.

My "programs and features" list looks like this:

MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in 2b093b0b-eab2-4c94-931c-ce89fc5a424e.png

CarstenBirck, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in

1. MMC faults and closes on adding Certificates snap-in - Similar Threads - MMC faults closes

2. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  3. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  4. Can't create a custom CSR using mmc and certificates snap-in on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create a custom CSR using mmc and certificates snap-in on Windows 10: I am trying to generate a custom CSR using the certificates snap-in for mmc on Windows 10. The certificate I want to create is a client authentication cert using ECC. However, I have run into a persistent issue that is preventing me from generating the CSR. No matter the...
  5. Can't create a custom CSR using mmc and certificates snap-in on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create a custom CSR using mmc and certificates snap-in on Windows 10: I am trying to generate a custom CSR using the certificates snap-in for mmc on Windows 10. The certificate I want to create is a client authentication cert using ECC. However, I have run into a persistent issue that is preventing me from generating the CSR. No matter the...
  6. Can't create a custom CSR using mmc and certificates snap-in on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Adding User group to MMC Snap-in, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding User group to MMC Snap-in, Windows 10: Hi yall,not sure how to put this question, I'm a beginner when it comes to these things,what I am trying to do is to create a group that I will add my 2 kids accounts to and control what the kids are allowed to do when logged in with their accounts to my pc using group...
  8. mmc snap-in task schedular

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mmc snap-in task schedular: so i was trying to get my anti malware service executable fixed for using high disk but this happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-snap-in-task-schedular/8b49a0d3-4a7e-4481-aec2-4aea5bf41f3c
  9. MMC detects error in a snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC detects error in a snap-in: Howdy, I am running a HP All-in-One 23-g017c, Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating system. A few hours ago I was trying to open my Event Viewer to check on something and discovered the following problem. I clicked on my Component Services like I always do. I then clicked on...
  10. MMC could not create the snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC could not create the snap-in: When I try to access Windows Firewall Advanced Settings I get an error:"MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly."I have followed instructions on various forums attempting to fix, such as:deleting the relevant registry...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Faulting application name: mmc.exe version: 10.0.18362.1 time stamp: 0x288c7033

2. mmc closes after certificates are added

3. faulting application name: mmc.exe version: 10.0.18362.1

4. c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe /a c:\windows\system32\devmoderunasuserconfig.msc mmc could not create the snap in windows 10