Windows 10: "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

Discus and support "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TimDaniels, Nov 24, 2018.

1. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but nowhere have I found what these entries mean or how to interpret the individual characters. I get that they have to do with folder and/or file permissions, but where are they explicitly described?

:)

TimDaniels, Nov 24, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command :)

3. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Nov 24, 2018
  4. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

list contents similar to Dir command by Windows built in "Kind"

I've been searching for a way to print a listing of folder and subfolders and only want a certain kind, based on Windows built in "Kind" associations.

I know how to do the dir command to print a listing of a folder and how to use the dir command to list only a certain type.

What I am hoping for is someone out there might know of a way to make a printout or a file of the listings of a certain "kind" based on the associations that are setup in Windows.

For example, if you use Explorer to search, you can by kind (Documents, movies, videos, music, etc), or type (*.exe, *.avi, *.mp3, *.txt, *.doc, etc)

I've tried to search using various terms here, on Bing, Google, etc and it's just not taking me anywhere that might give me help. I've even looked for powershell scripts someone might have posted to do the job.

Prefer to not install 3rd party software to do the trick but use Windows built in solutions but am open to suggestions as a last resort.

Paul_W_Chambers, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

"Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

1. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command - Similar Threads - Mode info returned

2. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  3. DIR Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DIR Command: dir /A:D /B /S > FolderList.txt produces a list of all directories and subdirectories of a directory. I would like to modify this line to have the date included for all directories and subdirectories of a directory too....
  4. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  5. Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command-line shells, commands like dir /p not working but dir does work: I am using W'10, Administrative Windows Power Shell, command line.When I do a "DIR" it works, but when I add parameters, I get this error message:-----------------PS C:\> dir /sdir : Cannot find path 'C:\s' because it does not exist.At line:1 char:1+ dir /s+ ~~~~~~ +...
  6. dir command from Task Scheduler returns entire registry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dir command from Task Scheduler returns entire registry: A batch file contains the line:dir c:\ /s /a-h-s >listing.txtas part of an indexing routine. This line of the batch takes about two minutes and returns a textfile of about 150 mb. After I was satisfied that the routine was ready to go, I created a task in Task Scheduler to...
  7. dir command from Task Manager returns entire registry

dir command from Task Manager returns entire registry: A batch file contains the line:dir c:\ /s /a-h-s >listing.txtas part of an indexing routine. This line of the batch takes about two minutes and returns a textfile of about 150 mb. After I was satisfied that the routine was ready to go, I created a task in Task Scheduler to...
  8. Bug in the DIR command?

Bug in the DIR command?: Hi all. I'm running Version 10.0.17134.1365 and recently I've been testing long file names and how they're handled in an application that I work on. Strangely I noticed that when I try to see what the short name is for one of these files, they're not displaying correctly....
  9. DIR commands

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DIR commands: So recently I used the DIR commands to be able to see hidden and Invisible files, is there any way to revert this? submitted by /u/Creeper_King_558 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inyfq2/dir_commands/
  10. Windows 10 DIR command output format changed

Windows 10 DIR command output format changed: Due to a recent change in windows 10 ... it seems several commands no longer recognize switches ... that is not an insurmountable problem ... BUT ... the output format of the DIR command changed the format of the output and as such ... all of my scripts that used the format...