Windows 10: "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

Discus and support "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TimDaniels, Nov 24, 2018.

1. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

Windows 10 seems to have a new set of info returned by the "dir" Powershell command. This appears under the "Mode" heading, e.g. -a---- or d----- , but nowhere have I found what these entries mean or how to interpret the individual characters. I get that they have to do with folder and/or file permissions, but where are they explicitly described?

:)

TimDaniels, Nov 24, 2018
  2. Naki Win User

GPU-Z what command line parameter ?

Suggestion: /? (-?) and /help (-help) command-line arguments to show a list of all possible arguments in a small window. *Smile "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command :)

3. dir Difficulties

I am getting the hang of this command set.

Maybe somebody know a work around that will list the three time stamps at one time.
    Theoretically dir /TC /TA /TW.
    dir will only show one of the three at one time.

To me it seems that the only way to get all three on a line is to run loop with output to file, then boiling down the three outputs to one line. Clumsy but maybe the only way to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mikeincousa, Nov 24, 2018
  4. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

list contents similar to Dir command by Windows built in "Kind"

I've been searching for a way to print a listing of folder and subfolders and only want a certain kind, based on Windows built in "Kind" associations.

I know how to do the dir command to print a listing of a folder and how to use the dir command to list only a certain type.

What I am hoping for is someone out there might know of a way to make a printout or a file of the listings of a certain "kind" based on the associations that are setup in Windows.

For example, if you use Explorer to search, you can by kind (Documents, movies, videos, music, etc), or type (*.exe, *.avi, *.mp3, *.txt, *.doc, etc)

I've tried to search using various terms here, on Bing, Google, etc and it's just not taking me anywhere that might give me help. I've even looked for powershell scripts someone might have posted to do the job.

Prefer to not install 3rd party software to do the trick but use Windows built in solutions but am open to suggestions as a last resort.

Paul_W_Chambers, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

"Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command

1. "Mode" info returned by Windows 10 dir command - Similar Threads - Mode info returned

2. bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bootrec /rebuildbcd command returns 0 Windows installations found, Windows 10 laptop.: This is on Windows 10. My laptop won’t boot and I’ve tried auto repair with no success. Now I’m trying to repair my boot configuration following information from the internet and I’m running into a problem. So far I’ve been using the following commands with some success....
  3. Asking info how to use command for two monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Asking info how to use command for two monitors: Need help with commands to switch between a monitor and a laptop. It is hooked up and both pages appear same on my laptop and my monitor. How do I view on monitor differently than view on my laptop?...
  4. dir Difficulties

in Windows 10 Support
    dir Difficulties: I am seeking to sort files with dir. Creation date and time is my most primary interest. This has been my primary guide. MS-DOS dir command help I have tried a number of these commands in Powershell and Admin Powershell The simple one element wild card ones work okay. Ex...
  5. Sleep mode command line doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode command line doesn't work with Windows 10 anymore ?: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 OR %SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState Sleep It will put computer to sleep but after wakeup it show BIOS screen(5 second) -> Windows welcome screen(2second) -> Desktop But if I sleep from the...
  6. Diskpart command info needed?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Diskpart command info needed?: Hi, I have a UEFI boot laptop (not Legacy BIOS). If I was to use Diskpart to create a Windows 10 bootable USB flash drive for UEFI only would the following commands be correct? If my understanding is correct there is no need for the "Active" command to be typed in as it isn't...
  7. command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones

in Windows 10 Support
    command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones: Hi there Is there a Windows command that can copy files from say directory A to directory B but skip any with the same name I don't want to update even if say directory A has a newer version than directory B --simply use existing names --if it exists skip. I'm trying to...
  8. Hidden char in file name showed by command dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden char in file name showed by command dir: Hi, In tracking a bug in app, I discovered something very odd. I have a strange file name in a directory. If I do a dir command the file name appearing is not the same as with Win Explorer! Even the copy paste from the console removes the extra char. Attached...
  9. matching wildcards in dir

in Windows 10 Support
    matching wildcards in dir: In a folder I have several files starting with test, like test00, test0000, test1.txt, test1111, test 01.txt If I do a dir test0* I expect to get all files which match test0* like test00 and test0000 but I also get test 01.txt and I'm not sure why. I mean "test 01.txt"...
  10. Windows 10: Stuck in Safe Mode - No Password, Admin, Command, etc...

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Stuck in Safe Mode - No Password, Admin, Command, etc...: Hello, I want to mention that before posting this message, I've searched online and followed all recommendations from different posts and websites. Since none of them worked, I'm creating a new post and I'm hoping someone can help me... due to a screen flickering...