Windows 10: modern desktop administration

Discus and support modern desktop administration in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After configuring a shared folder on the network, you assign NTFS permissions. You assign a user the Allow: Read permission. You then assign the Deny:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by sibokumalo, Aug 7, 2020.

1. modern desktop administration

After configuring a shared folder on the network, you assign NTFS permissions. You assign a user the Allow: Read permission. You then assign the Deny: Write permission to the user and notice that it removed the Allow: Read permission. What causes this?

:)

sibokumalo, Aug 7, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Modern setup host

Hi Hermie,

Regarding your concern with the deleted Modern Setup Host file, we’d like to ask the following questions so we can isolate it at the same time:

• What particular action that you’re trying to perform at the time that it was accidentally deleted.?
    • May we know where and how it was deleted on your computer?
    • Were you able to check if the deleted file can be found in the
      Recycle bin?

As an initial step, we suggest that perform a DISM command. This will help repairing possible system file corruptions. Follow these steps:

• Type command in the search box.
    • Right-click on the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type this command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Press Enter.
    • Close the Command Prompt windows and check if changes were made related to the Modern Setup Host file.

We'll wait for your update after trying the steps.

Louie Del, Aug 7, 2020
  3. Modern host stopped working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to refer the answer provided by Mr. Andre Da Costa, from the following link and check.

Modern Setup Host Has Stopped Working

If you have sufficient space to install Windows 10 on your computer, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Explorer.
    • Navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download”
    • Delete everything in this folder.
    • Now Open Command Prompt with administrator.
    • Type wuauclt.exe /updatenow
    • Press Enter key.

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 7, 2020
  4. ddelo Win User

modern desktop administration

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. modern desktop administration :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

modern desktop administration

1. modern desktop administration - Similar Threads - modern desktop administration

2. Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification Issue: Greetings,Earned both MD-100 and MD-101 badges, but MD-100 is not listed on my dashboard. I took MD-100 under different profile and was able to move badge to my correct profile which is my dashboard profile and both badges are display on 'View Badges', but MD-100 is not...
  3. Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate Certification Issue: Greetings,Earned both MD-100 and MD-101 badges, but MD-100 is not listed on my dashboard. I took MD-100 under different profile and was able to move badge to my correct profile which is my dashboard profile and both badges are display on 'View Badges', but MD-100 is not...
  4. Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small

Desktop shortcuts to modern apps too small: Does anyone create shortcuts on the desktop to any of the modern store apps? I know how to do it. Run ... Shell:appsFolder and then right click drag onto desktop to create the shortcut. I had a few of these setup for things like Amazon Prime and Xbox app. All looking good....
  5. Administrator permission on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permission on desktop: Hello, I don't know what happened in my laptop, but suddenly, I noticed that now if I right click on my desktop, then in the 'new' option, I don't have the usual options, but a 'new folder' option with a admin permission attached to it. In the beginning I didn't bother...
  6. Shift to a modern desktop with Microsoft 365

in Windows 10 News
    Shift to a modern desktop with Microsoft 365: At the outset of 2019, we all have personal goals, but most of us also have professional goals for the year ahead. For those of us in IT, this is a time to think about how you deliver the modern, empowering workplace for your business in a cloud-connected world. With...
  7. Microsoft Helping customers shift to a modern desktop

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Helping customers shift to a modern desktop: IT is complex. And that means it can be difficult to keep up with the day-to-day demands of your organization, let alone deliver technological innovation that drives the business forward. In desktop management, this is especially true: the process of creating standard images,...
  8. Windows 10 TP Modern Desktop Shortcuts

Windows 10 TP Modern Desktop Shortcuts: In Windows 10 Technical Preview, you can now create desktop shortcuts for Store Apps, (as well as Windows Applications), from within the shell:AppsFolder or the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, by the right click or Shift/right click method. 2328
  9. Modern app vs Desktop app

Modern app vs Desktop app: Hello all! I have just upgraded to windows 10. A quick visit in the windows store revealed that a few of the apps that I have installed already are also available as modern apps (i.e. QQ, onenote etc.) which makes me wonder if there is any performance boost in using modern...
  10. Modern Desktop Icons are Blank?

in Windows 10 Support
    Modern Desktop Icons are Blank?: I created desktop icons for the People, Money, News and Weather apps in my user account. These initially appear with the correct icon but when I log off and log in again, the icons are blank. How can I ensure the correct icon is displayed? 34958