Windows 10: Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed

Discus and support Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks There's no reason these days unless you have really eseoteric high performance gaming requirements to be afraid of using VM's for almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Oct 15, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed

Hi folks
    There's no reason these days unless you have really eseoteric high performance gaming requirements to be afraid of using VM's for almost anything these days.

Here's a W10 VM (latest Dev insider build) using a Hardware capture Video device running as a VM Workstation rel 16 with perfect capture of a SKY TV Talking Pictures TV of an old Black and white episode of "Robin Hood" from the late 60's early 70's.

Host is Arch Linux kernel 5.8.14 and VM is using VMWare WKS rel 16. (I'm sure would also work just as well on Windows Hosts).

I do wish though HYPER-V was more friendly with USB drivers -- I can't get it to work on HYPER-V - it works also on KVM/QEMU. Not tried VBOX but if it works on VMWare it should work on VBOX.

No probs whatsoever -- the Hardware device driver loaded up on the Windows VM and capture application started.

VM's have come a LONG LONG way over the last few years !!!

For those who like "Nostalgia TV"

Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed [​IMG]

The device I'm using on the VM for capture is Afatech HS capture device from the Windows VM (connect device) and saving to external USB (SSD) for playing later.

VM's these days can play any sort of multimedia just fine -- no need to avoid using unless you have really specific hardware testing to do. !!!!

Cheers

Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    There's no reason these days unless you have really eseoteric high performance gaming requirements to be afraid of using VM's for almost anything these days.

Here's a W10 VM (latest Dev insider build) using a Hardware capture Video device running as a VM Workstation rel 16 with perfect capture of a SKY TV Talking Pictures TV of an old Black and white episode of "Robin Hood" from the late 60's early 70's.

Host is Arch Linux kernel 5.8.14 and VM is using VMWare WKS rel 16. (I'm sure would also work just as well on Windows Hosts).

I do wish though HYPER-V was more friendly with USB drivers -- I can't get it to work on HYPER-V - it works also on KVM/QEMU. Not tried VBOX but if it works on VMWare it should work on VBOX.

No probs whatsoever -- the Hardware device driver loaded up on the Windows VM and capture application started.

VM's have come a LONG LONG way over the last few years !!!

For those who like "Nostalgia TV"

Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed [​IMG]

The device I'm using on the VM for capture is Afatech HS capture device from the Windows VM (connect device) and saving to external USB (SSD) for playing later.

VM's these days can play any sort of multimedia just fine -- no need to avoid using unless you have really specific hardware testing to do. !!!!

Cheers

Jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Might be the fact you are running on a Windows Host.

My Screenshot comes from a reasonably modest Laptop (HP envy) with I5 CPU, Intel on board graphics and only 8GB RAM so there's definitely a problem on your set up. !!! I only assigned 2GB to the Windows VM, and 2 Virtual processors -- I processor with 2 cores. The VMWare VM is on VMWare WKS 16 with 3D and hardware acceleration enabled (and working) and the Virtual disk is defined as an 80GB NVMe HDD (even though it's actually on an internal SSD !!!!. The NVMe Virtual disk does seem to improve considerably the Virtual I/O.

I don't have any problems running You Tube, VLC (although no need as I can do that on the Host), media streaming etc.

I can get even better performance on using KVM/QEMU but I leave that for the Desktop PC's I have since I can assign / dedicate actual hardware as passthru to the VM - such as dedicated graphics etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 15, 2020
  4. Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed

Jimbo, I'm not getting the same positive results that you are.

I run my VMs on VMware Workstation (currently on latest version 16). My host machine has 32GB RAM and even if I give the guest 16GB RAM performance of graphics is absolutely horrible. For example, if I open a browser in a Win 10 guest and play a YouTube video, I will get frequent break-ups in the video.

I'm doing this on a laptop that has dual Intel / Nvidia display adapters. I've tried to figure out if there is a way to force VMware to use the Nvidia adapter but it seems like I can only force 3D graphics to that adapter.

Fortunately, 99% of what I do does not need any real graphics horsepower so it's not typically a problem for me, but it's something I would like to figure out eventually.

hsehestedt, Oct 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Modern VM's are these days so efficient - almost Native speed - Similar Threads - Modern VM's are

2. BSOD almost every day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD almost every day: My laptop crashes and turns into blue screen at least once every day. And I just don't know why. Most of the time the screen error turns out to be SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA, or MEMORY MANAGEMENT. I tried several methods to fix the blue screen...
  3. BSOD almost every day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD almost every day: My laptop crashes and turns into blue screen at least once every day. And I just don't know why. Most of the time the screen error turns out to be SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA, or MEMORY MANAGEMENT. I tried several methods to fix the blue screen...
  4. Blue screen almost every day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen almost every day: The blue screen almost every day. New computer. Windows 11. Recent two dmp files are here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvBDbLcIeplrgtklkycR6xLccwmbCg?e=4YhqZwCan someone give me a hint?Thank you.Jun...
  5. Blue screen almost every day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen almost every day: The blue screen almost every day. New computer. Windows 11. Recent two dmp files are here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvBDbLcIeplrgtklkycR6xLccwmbCg?e=4YhqZwCan someone give me a hint?Thank you.Jun...
  6. Windows fails to boot natively, but can boot in a VM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot natively, but can boot in a VM: I have a PC that dual boots Linux and Windows. When booted in Linux, I also boot the Windows install through VirtualBox by passing the disks in directly. The boot process natively is mobo UEFI -> GRUB -> Windows Boot Loader -> Windows, and the boot process in the VM is vbox...
  7. Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Getting almost Native performance on W10 VM running on KVM: Hi folks I've often mentioned using passthru on things like graphics and network cards to squeeze the maximum performance of VM's - particularly Windows VM's. I refer you to this excellent article which explains some of the principles involved (although on a KVM Host...
  8. BSOD almost every day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD almost every day: I have done the minidump procedure to record the .dmp files using Verifier. Please assist if possible. Would much appreciate. Minidump located here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AslxUqbfl8zftWkCUTAQm8ILrwnR?e=ecyIwz Thank you!...
  9. Have a BSoD almost every day

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Have a BSoD almost every day: Hi guys, I have a BSoD almost every day on my HP Spectre 360x. It's been happening for quite some time, but now it gets worse and worse. The error message I see after the automatic restart is: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION not handled and it talks about this file:...
  10. New WinUI website for modern native UI platform of Windows

in Windows 10 News
    New WinUI website for modern native UI platform of Windows: Want to learn more about #WinUI? Our new website explains the advantages of #WinUI, including better performance, future-proofed apps, and modern controls & UI. Check it out! [img] Read more: WinUI https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp...etting-started Tweet —...