Windows 10: Modification of file names in bulk

Discus and support Modification of file names in bulk in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A time ago, so I do not recall why, many of my files' names were modified; say from .abc.jpg, or cde.docx to abc(2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).jpg, or cde... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chipwood, Jun 2, 2019.

1. chipwood Win User

Modification of file names in bulk

A time ago, so I do not recall why, many of my files' names were modified; say from .abc.jpg, or cde.docx to abc(2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).jpg, or cde (2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).docx. In the main picture files dominate.
    I want to rename the files by removing the (2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC) from all the files. It would be terribly laborious, unless it can be done in bulk. Please does anyone know of anything that can do what I need?

:)

chipwood, Jun 2, 2019
  2. ap1978 Win User

Bulk Crap Uninstaller 4.3.4

• Added capability to open update link in web browser
    • Fixed treemap not working correctly with only 1 item on the list
    • Blacklisted "Installer" folder for drive scanning
    • Relaxed overly strict check for questionable directory names
    • Updated rate link to a new website

Klocman/Bulk-Crap-Uninstaller
    https://github.com/Klocman/Bulk-Crap...ses/tag/v4.3.4

ap1978, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Bulk copy names of folders

As above i have a folder with a few other inside it is there a way to bulk copy the names of those folders so i can added them to a text file or do i have to go one by one

Exiled Mystique, Jun 2, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Modification of file names in bulk - Similar Threads - Modification file names

2. file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file names: When I name a file and use some caps and some lower case letters why is file explorer changing it to all lower case? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-names/8467538b-d686-4ac9-9271-62ba146d174f"
  3. Bulk/batch delete tags saved to files

Bulk/batch delete tags saved to files: Is there a way to batch or bulk delete tags added to files. Either all of the same tag in a lot of files, or all tags from a batch or group of files. Or even to change/rename a tag in all files. Anything really. I have a lot of photo files with tags no longer...
  4. File name

File name: I noticed in Program Files {x86} all the files that start with the word Windows are first letter caps except this one - "windows.nt." It doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't it also be first letter capitalized? I think I remember reading somewhere that it might indicate a...
  5. OneDrive file modification dates

OneDrive file modification dates: When I modify a file in my desktop OneDrive folder, and upload it to my mobile OneDrive folder, the date does not match the modified date from my desktop. It could have a date that's months old. This creates doubt whether the mobile file has all the current changes, so if I...
  6. Bulk copy names of folders

Bulk copy names of folders: As above i have a folder with a few other inside it is there a way to bulk copy the names of those folders so i can added them to a text file or do i have to go one by one...
  7. bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames)

in Windows 10 Support
    bulk file renaming (intention is to shorten filenames): basically l have over 50 files that lm unable to download to the location l wish to on my laptop (each file is about a gig), however their filenames are quite long which leads me to the 255 character limit. my intention was to originally use winscp to batch rename but lm not...
  8. Urgent help needed - how to revert a bulk image name process?

in Windows 10 Support
    Urgent help needed - how to revert a bulk image name process?: Apologies - the Urgent in this is only because I'm unsure whether any action may need to be done before I close down in about 6 hours or so. Basically my problem began in Picasa 3 where I watched a short vid then decided to change the filename. That done I closed the...
  9. How to Bulk Rename files with information from file "properties"?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Bulk Rename files with information from file "properties"?: I recently had a hard drive failure that cost me fifteen years worth of files and data. I am recovering the files currently using Puran file recovery, which seems to be working. However, all the MS Word files (for instance) I recover are simply named "0000001.docx" and the...
  10. Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name

in Windows 10 Support
    Rename Files In Bulk with % in Name: Employee just got a new computer with Windows 10 and has several files that were copied over from another computer that have a % sign in the names. Don't ask me how. She has to rename them. Is there a way to change the % to an underscore in all the files at one time? Thank...